Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              160      
       162              319       320       end

Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

michael49
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.161 #1 · p.161 #1 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

^ - thanks for the info Jordan - I guess I'm more curious about DOF, "pop" and bokeh between various 50 1.4's / SB and the native Fuji 35 1.4. I own the 35 1.4 and its such a good lens, even wide open, that there would have to be something special with a 50 1.4 / SB combo to justify using it over the Fuji 35.

I suppose the same goes for the Fuji 23 1.4, although the combination of a FD 35 f/2 and SB is still cheaper than the native 23 1.4 and its actually available.

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:20 AM
xenor
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.161 #2 · p.161 #2 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Next to last fair set...whew!

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.161 #3 · p.161 #3 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Yeah, the 23/1.4 is going to be a WAY better lens than the 35/2 and speedbooster, but it'll hold me over, especially since I picked up the 35/2 for only $90. The 50/1.4 and speedbooster are useful when you really want that full frame 'pop' that only a super fast lens on the larger format can give you. I have a 55/1.2 on the way that will get here Friday that will give me effectively nearly two full stops shallower DOF than I can get with the Fuji 35. I have no real plans to use the speedbooster for stopped down work (unless I already have it mounted). The native glass is just too good for that. This is for that occasional use where I really want ultra-shallow depth of field and a certain look. I really got the 35/2 because it was a cheap way to find out whether I'd really enjoy the 23/1.4, since I typically haven't been a 35mm sort of guy, though the last few times I've shot with one, I really enjoyed it. I had some fun with the FD today, so I really do think I'll get the 23 eventually, though having this FD combo at least gives me similar depth of field and AOV to what I'll get with the 23, even if the ultimate image quality isn't quite as good. (Still decent, though).

Here are some from today with the FD 35/2+Speedbooster. All wide open. (I took some shots stopped down, but the ones I liked the best were WO). Second one is processed with a 50% opacity layer done with Analog Efex Pro (which just magically appeared in my Nik Collection today.)

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:55 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.161 #4 · p.161 #4 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Jman13 wrote:
... The 50/1.4 and speedbooster are useful when you really want that full frame 'pop' that only a super fast lens on the larger format can give you. I have a 55/1.2 on the way that will get here Friday that will give me effectively nearly two full stops shallower DOF than I can get with the Fuji 35. I have no real plans to use the speedbooster for stopped down work (unless I already have it mounted). The native glass is just too good for that. This is for that occasional use where I really want ultra-shallow depth of
...Show more

That's exactly what I would want it for as well - thanks for the info. The FD 35 really doesn't look bad with the SB.

Oct 31, 2013 at 01:12 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.161 #5 · p.161 #5 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Took the XE-1, 18-55 and 35 1.4 on a trip to Grand Canyon and Sedona. Just got home yesterday.

I was very happy with having such a lightweight kit and I'm liking what I'm seeing in terms of image quality, but I really wished I owned the 14mm. Did about 20 miles of hiking, so the small kit was much appreciated.

I'm just starting to go through the images, here's a few....

pano...

Oct 31, 2013 at 01:18 AM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.161 #6 · p.161 #6 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

This isn't really the right place for this, but since there are folks in this thread that actually use a Speedbooster, I am hoping for clarification...

This is what Metabones says... Mounted between a mirrorless camera and a SLR lens, Speed BoosterŪ increases maximum aperture by 1 stop (hence its name), increases MTF and makes lens wider by a factor of 0.71x.

This doesn't take into account the APC "crop factor" of the sensor, which in the Fuji case is 1.5x. So, a 60mm FF lens on the Fuji crop sensor gives the field of view of a 90mm lens. So, throw a Speedbooster into the mix with its wide factor of 0.71x and you are back down to 64mm. So, the Speedbooster allows you to experience the FF focal length of the lens on a crop sensor, with the added benefit of a 1-stop increase in speed of the lens.

I want to say that I read this in one of the Metabones advertisements, but the math speaks for itself. Am I wrong here?

Oct 31, 2013 at 02:42 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.161 #7 · p.161 #7 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Nope, you're right. The 35/2 with speed booster becomes a 25mm f/1.4, which will have the same FOV and depth of field as a 37mm f/2.1, so essentially it acts as s 1.06x crop factor, which is negligible.

A 50 f/1.4 becomes a 35mm f/1.0 and the 55/1.2 I have coming on Friday will become a 39mm f/0.85!

Oct 31, 2013 at 03:01 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.161 #8 · p.161 #8 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

With the X-E2 coming out, and the X-M1 et al, how about renaming this thread: Fujifilm X-Mount Image Thread?

Oct 31, 2013 at 09:58 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.161 #9 · p.161 #9 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

It's already used for that. I agree the name should be changed. I've been posting my X-M1 photos in here for a long while.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:03 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.161 #10 · p.161 #10 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

It is complicated a bit by the fact that Fuji doesn't have a clear name for the interchangeable lens cameras in the X-naming convention. They kinda sorta call it the X-system, but that doesn't clearly exclude the X100 etc. I think that X-mount implies the interchangeable lens part, but maybe there is a better choice.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ceder
• •
p.161 #11 · p.161 #11 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

OK, where do I click to change the title? (I forgot where it is that I do that )

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.161 #12 · p.161 #12 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

I think you just edit the first post.

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:04 AM
ceder
• •
p.161 #13 · p.161 #13 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Yup, that's it!

Now please post some XF 23/1.4 images folks!!

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.161 #14 · p.161 #14 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

:-) I'll be getting one in the next month or two, if stock recovers. I need to sell a few things first, though.

I should have some X-E2 images in the next 2-3 weeks, though.

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.161 #15 · p.161 #15 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

still contemplating my next body guys... I've come to realise that with my big hands and single handed shooting style I need the traditional RF shape and size, and the only X-body that works comfortably for me for longer sessions is my Xpro. And even then I have to add the grip, thumbs up and softie. Especially with bigger lenses.
My x100s is just too small for comfort, which took me a few months to realise (it took a couple of >1hr sessions) so now I'm having doubts if the xe2 is for me, since they're about the same size.
I've ordered an RRS grip for the x100s to see how that feels before I make up my mind.

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.161 #16 · p.161 #16 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

The RRS grip will help I'm sure. I don't like the Fuji grip on my X-E1. I have the iShoot grip, which is similar in design to the RRS, but a LOT cheaper ($70), though probably not quite as ergonomic. Has a removable L bracket portion on the side too. Makes the X-E1 handle really well, especially with longer lenses. I don't keep it on all the time, but if I'm doing tripod work or will be shooting a lot with my 55-200, I put it on, and it feels really good. Keeps access to all doors/ports as well:

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.161 #17 · p.161 #17 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

$70?
well, shit.
I should've asked first I guess, they've already shipped now. And shipping to Oz was $37.

Anyway thanks and apologies for the thread derailment, back to posting photos

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:52 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.161 #18 · p.161 #18 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Spyro P. wrote:
still contemplating my next body guys... I've come to realise that with my big hands and single handed shooting style I need the traditional RF shape and size, and the only X-body that works comfortably for me for longer sessions is my Xpro. And even then I have to add the grip, thumbs up and softie. Especially with bigger lenses.
My x100s is just too small for comfort, which took me a few months to realise (it took a couple of >1hr sessions) so now I'm having doubts if the xe2 is for me, since they're about the same
...Show more

I am passing on the X-E2 and waiting to see if/when they update the XP1 so I can get the bigger body. If they kill the "Pro" in favor of the cheaper cameras, I'll get this iShoot thing ($70?!) Wow.

Oct 31, 2013 at 04:04 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.161 #19 · p.161 #19 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

X-E1 has arrived, Nikon and Exakta adapters ordered, hope to be posting images with my small fleet of Nikon glass and my Zeiss and Ulm Exakta lenses here real soon. Excited!

Oct 31, 2013 at 06:31 PM
BokehBeauty
• •
p.161 #20 · p.161 #20 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Jman13 wrote:

Isn't she a beauty with the Contax 90mm attached.

Oct 31, 2013 at 08:07 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password