Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              136      
       138              284       285       end

Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.137 #1 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

I can ask Amazon. It seems like they make me return the whole order and then either exchange or refund. It's a pain...

I have been looking through some NEX images in LR, and the kit lens certainly can produce it's share of funky foliage, if I look closely at things.

I think I'll try printing a couple of these Fuji files and see what happens. I love the color it produces, and the handling of the camera is almost perfect for me.

Aug 30, 2013 at 02:46 AM
Jochenb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.137 #2 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

There's one thing I just can't understand. Why isn't Fuji automatically remapping pixels from time to time, like most other brands? Or offer a function to activate it manually? Every digital sensor will show dead/stuck/hot pixels one day. My first X-E1 had a stuck pixel and now my second one has a few.

Aug 30, 2013 at 08:27 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.137 #3 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

mco_970 wrote:
I can ask Amazon. It seems like they make me return the whole order and then either exchange or refund. It's a pain...

I have been looking through some NEX images in LR, and the kit lens certainly can produce it's share of funky foliage, if I look closely at things.

I think I'll try printing a couple of these Fuji files and see what happens. I love the color it produces, and the handling of the camera is almost perfect for me.

Something definitely looks wrong to me in your images-- nothing looks really sharp. The effect is magnified because you ARE seeing the CFA funkiness beneath that blurriness as well. In fact, we're seeing the CFA in a few of the recent shots posted after yours.

I'll try to post a crop from my 35 f/1.4 for comparison. My understanding is that the zoom is just about as sharp, or at least within range.

Aug 30, 2013 at 09:22 AM
W.T. Jones
• •
p.137 #4 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

mco_970

There is definitely something askew with your set up. I get sharp images (within the DOF or plane of focus) with my 18-55 as well as the 14, 35 and 55-200mm lenses at all times unless I get sloppy & shake the camera or the camera fails to focus etc... I am not sure what is the problem here, whether it is camera or lens(es) but something is not quite right.

Can someone enlighten me as to what "CFA" is as it is used here?

Aug 30, 2013 at 09:59 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.137 #5 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Are you using LR 4.4 or an earlier version? (adobe made some big improvements in 4.4). I had a bum 18-55 at one point as well, so it could be that. I usually is 50 amount on sharpening for my Fuji files too, which makes a big difference with them.

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:20 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.137 #6 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

W.T. Jones wrote:
Can someone enlighten me as to what "CFA" is as it is used here?

Colour Filter Array. this is the usually GRGB array, which in the recent Fuji cameras has a different layout called X-Trans. This is meant to obviate the use of an AA filter, but the odd colour layout causes a watercolour-like effect with many raw development programs. Earlier versions of Lightroom were horrendous for this.

http://fujifilm-x.com/x-pro1/en/about/sensor/

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:27 PM
superfrog

p.137 #7 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

My guess is that it is the OIS. Seems like I read somewhere of someone else having the same problem where the OIS was creating a slightly blurry image compared to it being off. I would try it turned off and compare the results and see if we can narrow down the problem. And definitely try either the 35 or 60.

Aug 30, 2013 at 01:34 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.137 #8 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Thanks for all the help, everyone! I so appreciate it.

I shot a set with OIS on and off in my garden this morning, and shot the same set with NEX and the 18-55 kit lens. The NEX kit was much better, so definitely there is a problem with my copy of the X-E1 kit. It should easily whip the Sony kit lens, though I have always thought I had a really good copy of it.

I found that OIS didn't appear to make my images worse on X-E1, but on NEX, it was noticably better with SteadyShot off. So I learned something about my NEX, too... I can post side by side samples if there's any interest, but honestly I'm ready to stop talking about it and let y'alls image posting go on.

I enjoy really seeing all the fantastic images on this thread, and again, thank you!

Aug 30, 2013 at 02:33 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.137 #9 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Michelle,

The CFA/X-trans sensor in the Fuji can definitely cause some funky effects in foliage, I posted an example of that here somewhere in this thread, but your examples look like something worse is going on. I've noticed the "funky foliage" issue mostly when I'm shooting in bright sunlight - in other lighting it seems much less noticeable. In terms of the Fuji 18-55 I've found it one of the sharpest zooms I've used.

Aug 30, 2013 at 05:34 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.137 #10 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

twelveish wrote:
....Brought the camera and the 18-55 from home and added the 35 and Samyang/Rokinon/Bower 8/2.8 fisheye from B&H. .

Nice set, I really need to pick up that fisheye.

Aug 30, 2013 at 05:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rob_O
• •
p.137 #11 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

michael49 wrote:
Nice set, I really need to pick up that fisheye.

It's an impressive piece of glass for the price. I used it a bunch on our Santorini trip and can upload more examples. This is one I posted to the thread a few weeks ago.

Aug 30, 2013 at 05:57 PM
dakel
• •
p.137 #12 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Just came back from a family trip to New York City. Had a fantastic time. Love the museums. Whilst there I stopped off at B&H and picked up the Fuji 14mm and the Rokinon 8mm fisheye. The latter wasmy first ever fisheye lens, and like the above posters, it is fun!

Also, I dropped the 18-55 onto a marble floor in the Met and was unable to use it for the rest of the trip This meant I was limited to using the 14mm and 8mm for the rest of the trip. Wifey had RX100 so that did most of the family shots after that point.

TREX on the hunt

Great Blue Whale

Museum of Natural History Main Hall

Robert

And more to come. Not sure how many pics we should put in each post.....

Aug 30, 2013 at 07:16 PM
Alexey011

p.137 #13 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Aug 30, 2013 at 07:28 PM
ypras

p.137 #14 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Untitled by yprasoulis, on Flickr

Aug 30, 2013 at 07:31 PM
TAGfan
• • •
p.137 #15 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

From a recent trip to Ireland. XE-1 and 18mm or 35mm

Aug 30, 2013 at 08:00 PM
W.T. Jones
• •
p.137 #16 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

carstenw wrote:
Colour Filter Array. this is the usually GRGB array, which in the recent Fuji cameras has a different layout called X-Trans. This is meant to obviate the use of an AA filter, but the odd colour layout causes a watercolour-like effect with many raw development programs. Earlier versions of Lightroom were horrendous for this.

Thanks you carsten. I do in fact know all the technical stuff about the Xtrans sensor and the lack of AA filter. (actually the reason I bought into they system) I have never heard the filter arrangement called a CFA. Thus I was somewhat confused as to what it meant. Thank you for clearing that up.

Aug 30, 2013 at 08:06 PM
Alexey011

p.137 #17 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Aug 30, 2013 at 08:51 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.137 #18 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

^^^ Those have absolutely gorgeous tonality! Was it all the light, or did you do a fair bit of postprocessing. If the latter, care to share the process? Truly gorgeous...

Anyway, I have been looking around for a good fourth prime to fill out my Fuji kit for daily use...something in the ~135mm equivalent range, so 85-100mm. I had been using the Contax G 90mm f/2.8 Sonnar for lightweight work, and I have a Rokinon 85/1.4 that I use for really shallow DOF work (though it's a bit too big for daily carry with this little kit). I'd been eyeing a small 85/1.8 for a while, and finally decided to pick up an FD 85/1.8. Got a good price on this one, and it's in really outstanding shape. Extremely clean except for one very, very, very tiny mark on the front element (it's less than 1mm in size). I never would have known it was there if the seller hadn't pointed it out. Otherwise flawless. It's barely longer than the Contax 90 (though a little bigger in diameter and a little heavier), but it's still quite small and compact, but I gain 1-1/3 stops of light. Haven't taken a lot of shots with it yet, but I took a few test shots and a few shots of my daughter. It's quite sharp wide open, with a little lower contrast than elsewhere in the aperture range, but still good (and flattering for portraits). Stopped down to f/2.8 it's every bit as sharp as the Zeiss, but with less fringing, so I think I'm going to get along very well with this lens.

The FD 85/1.8 on my X-E1 (Taken with the X-M1 and 60/2.4):

And a shot wide open (FD 85/1.8 on X-E1):

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:02 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.137 #19 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

This is just great. First I get an X-E1 with several stuck pixels on the sensor, a not perfectly fitting original grip and now a faulty XF 14mm. Decentered.

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.137 #20 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Wow, that totally sucks. I had a bad 18-55 once, but everything else for me (and especially the 14mm) has been stellar.

Aug 31, 2013 at 11:52 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password