FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              135      
       137              578       579       end

Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.136 #1 · p.136 #1 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Do you have a crop from the tree to the left of this one?

Aug 29, 2013 at 07:21 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.136 #2 · p.136 #2 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Hi Carsten, I can post one when I get off from work. I'm currently enslaved for a few more hours.

Aug 29, 2013 at 07:35 PM
itai195
• • •
p.136 #3 · p.136 #3 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Could be the lens, it might be worth trying another lens like the 35/1.4 to see if it produces the same issues. At a shutter speed like 1/280, you might also try turning off OIS since it may be counterproductive.

Also, is any part of the image sharp?

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:51 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.136 #4 · p.136 #4 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

I don't see any part of the image being sharp... Here are trees from the other side.

I hate to open the 35/1.4 if I have to send the kit back.

left hand side of image

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:03 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.136 #5 · p.136 #5 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Here's another sample shot at the same time. Full EXIF is on the file. Focus point was the near cattails. They look hazy or lack contrast or something. Or is this how Fuji files should look?

Full image

Cropped

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:06 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.136 #6 · p.136 #6 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Cattails shots looks okay to me, but sorta hard to tell because I'm using a retina macbook at native resolution, so most photos to me are small

Do you have any type of filter mounted on the lens?

Also, are you sharpening these in LR 4?

If you're in the return window, I'd go ahead and try the 35/1.4 to see if you just got a bum 18-55.

Here's about the closest photo I could match to your 18-55, sharpened RAF from LR4.4

DSCF6820 by J L Smith, on Flickr

and a 100% crop near the center

DSCF6820-2 by J L Smith, on Flickr

Aug 30, 2013 at 01:02 AM
dakel
• •
p.136 #7 · p.136 #7 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Did you post the jpeg or developed raw? What sharpening settings are you using? For an image like this I tend to narrow the radius to about 0.7, detail between 50 and 70, and amount to taste but usually 30-50. Masking is set to about 20.

In your first image something looks off. The second doesn't look too bad.

Aug 30, 2013 at 01:11 AM
Camtography

p.136 #8 · p.136 #8 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Pika-Boo! by CameronH82, on Flickr

Aug 30, 2013 at 01:51 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.136 #9 · p.136 #9 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

dakel wrote:
Did you post the jpeg or developed raw? What sharpening settings are you using? For an image like this I tend to narrow the radius to about 0.7, detail between 50 and 70, and amount to taste but usually 30-50. Masking is set to about 20.

In your first image something looks off. The second doesn't look too bad.

The ones I posted are developed from RAW.

The SOOC JPG looks almost identical, so I don't think it's a LR problem. My base sharpening is radius .7, detail 50, amount 35, masking is usually around 60, but I vary it depending on the image.

I am going to try an image with my kit lens and NEX tomorrow (time & weather permitting) to see how it looks. I don't remember my 18-55 NEX kit looking quite this bad, and I thought the Fuji kit lens would be great in comparison. It does so well in reviews and lens tests.

If I return the camera, I also need to return the 35 and 60mm lenses... Bought them as the current package deal that is going.

This is another sample, I thought this picture would turn out kind of cool, but it's pretty darned blurry throughout... I focused about 1/3 of the way in, on the area that I show for the cropped part of the image.

Full image

Cropped

Aug 30, 2013 at 02:15 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.136 #10 · p.136 #10 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

cputeq wrote:
Cattails shots looks okay to me, but sorta hard to tell because I'm using a retina macbook at native resolution, so most photos to me are small

Do you have any type of filter mounted on the lens?

Also, are you sharpening these in LR 4?

If you're in the return window, I'd go ahead and try the 35/1.4 to see if you just got a bum 18-55.

Here's about the closest photo I could match to your 18-55, sharpened RAF from LR4.4

Thanks for those samples - they do look a little funny to my eyes in the foliage, too. Interesting!!

No filter, just the good old kit lens. Sharpening is in LR4.

I think I also need to try OIS off, maybe it's gyro and my natural gyros are not in sync?

Or I suppose the other explanation is I have turned into a prime lens snob.

Aug 30, 2013 at 02:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cputeq
• • • • •
p.136 #11 · p.136 #11 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

If you like the other lenses, maybe see about Fuji correcting it? Or is it easier to just return the whole kit for another kit?

Aug 30, 2013 at 02:20 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.136 #12 · p.136 #12 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

I can ask Amazon. It seems like they make me return the whole order and then either exchange or refund. It's a pain...

I have been looking through some NEX images in LR, and the kit lens certainly can produce it's share of funky foliage, if I look closely at things.

I think I'll try printing a couple of these Fuji files and see what happens. I love the color it produces, and the handling of the camera is almost perfect for me.

Aug 30, 2013 at 02:46 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.136 #13 · p.136 #13 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

There's one thing I just can't understand. Why isn't Fuji automatically remapping pixels from time to time, like most other brands? Or offer a function to activate it manually? Every digital sensor will show dead/stuck/hot pixels one day. My first X-E1 had a stuck pixel and now my second one has a few.

Aug 30, 2013 at 08:27 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.136 #14 · p.136 #14 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

mco_970 wrote:
I can ask Amazon. It seems like they make me return the whole order and then either exchange or refund. It's a pain...

I have been looking through some NEX images in LR, and the kit lens certainly can produce it's share of funky foliage, if I look closely at things.

I think I'll try printing a couple of these Fuji files and see what happens. I love the color it produces, and the handling of the camera is almost perfect for me.

Something definitely looks wrong to me in your images-- nothing looks really sharp. The effect is magnified because you ARE seeing the CFA funkiness beneath that blurriness as well. In fact, we're seeing the CFA in a few of the recent shots posted after yours.

I'll try to post a crop from my 35 f/1.4 for comparison. My understanding is that the zoom is just about as sharp, or at least within range.

Aug 30, 2013 at 09:22 AM
W.T. Jones
• •
p.136 #15 · p.136 #15 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

mco_970

There is definitely something askew with your set up. I get sharp images (within the DOF or plane of focus) with my 18-55 as well as the 14, 35 and 55-200mm lenses at all times unless I get sloppy & shake the camera or the camera fails to focus etc... I am not sure what is the problem here, whether it is camera or lens(es) but something is not quite right.

Can someone enlighten me as to what "CFA" is as it is used here?

Aug 30, 2013 at 09:59 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.136 #16 · p.136 #16 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Are you using LR 4.4 or an earlier version? (adobe made some big improvements in 4.4). I had a bum 18-55 at one point as well, so it could be that. I usually is 50 amount on sharpening for my Fuji files too, which makes a big difference with them.

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:20 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.136 #17 · p.136 #17 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

W.T. Jones wrote:
Can someone enlighten me as to what "CFA" is as it is used here?

Colour Filter Array. this is the usually GRGB array, which in the recent Fuji cameras has a different layout called X-Trans. This is meant to obviate the use of an AA filter, but the odd colour layout causes a watercolour-like effect with many raw development programs. Earlier versions of Lightroom were horrendous for this.

http://fujifilm-x.com/x-pro1/en/about/sensor/

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:27 PM
superfrog

p.136 #18 · p.136 #18 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

My guess is that it is the OIS. Seems like I read somewhere of someone else having the same problem where the OIS was creating a slightly blurry image compared to it being off. I would try it turned off and compare the results and see if we can narrow down the problem. And definitely try either the 35 or 60.

Aug 30, 2013 at 01:34 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.136 #19 · p.136 #19 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Thanks for all the help, everyone! I so appreciate it.

I shot a set with OIS on and off in my garden this morning, and shot the same set with NEX and the 18-55 kit lens. The NEX kit was much better, so definitely there is a problem with my copy of the X-E1 kit. It should easily whip the Sony kit lens, though I have always thought I had a really good copy of it.

I found that OIS didn't appear to make my images worse on X-E1, but on NEX, it was noticably better with SteadyShot off. So I learned something about my NEX, too... I can post side by side samples if there's any interest, but honestly I'm ready to stop talking about it and let y'alls image posting go on.

I enjoy really seeing all the fantastic images on this thread, and again, thank you!

Aug 30, 2013 at 02:33 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.136 #20 · p.136 #20 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Michelle,

The CFA/X-trans sensor in the Fuji can definitely cause some funky effects in foliage, I posted an example of that here somewhere in this thread, but your examples look like something worse is going on. I've noticed the "funky foliage" issue mostly when I'm shooting in bright sunlight - in other lighting it seems much less noticeable. In terms of the Fuji 18-55 I've found it one of the sharpest zooms I've used.

Aug 30, 2013 at 05:34 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password