Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              135      
       137              331       332       end

Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Rob_O
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.136 #1 · p.136 #1 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

A couple from my 'as often as possible' walk around the forest near me. X-E1 with 35 f/1.4, which I've found hunts and misses focus *way* more (in macro mode) after the latest FW updates. Both of these are MF handheld.

Autumn sun ... by Rob Overcash Photography, on Flickr

Autumn sun II by Rob Overcash Photography, on Flickr

Edited on Aug 29, 2013 at 01:19 PM · View previous versions

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.136 #2 · p.136 #2 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Rob_O wrote:
hunts and misses focus *way* after the latest FW updates. Both of these are MF handheld.

Way more or less? I guess more because you used MF.
That's strange, I've heard reports that said it had improved.

Aug 29, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Rob_O
• •
p.136 #3 · p.136 #3 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Jochenb wrote:
Way more or less? I guess more because you used MF.
That's strange, I've heard reports that said it had improved.

... guess I left out a key word there!

It hunts way MORE than before. I should also add this is when in MACRO MODE, not all the time.

These scenes had plenty of contrast and I was well outside of the macro range for the 35 (i.e., far enough back). I tried both normal AF and "MF assist" (M focus mode then AEL/AFL button, which I have set to AF). For the berries, I couldn't get it to lock at all and MF was the only way. in the fern shot, it was hit or miss.

I've taken around 5000 shots now with the X-E1 and never really noticed it hunting and, more to the point, *missing* like it did this time. Probably worse was the fact it gave focus confirmation -- green box and audible -- yet *nothing* was in focus (wasn't even back focussing).

Strange. I'll have to play with it more to see if there really is an issue (since the FW update(s)) or if this was an isolated case due to backlight conditions or something.

Aug 29, 2013 at 01:14 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.136 #4 · p.136 #4 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Rob_O wrote:
... guess I left out a key word there!

It hunts way MORE than before. I should also add this is when in MACRO MODE, not all the time.

These scenes had plenty of contrast and I was well outside of the macro range for the 35 (i.e., far enough back). I tried both normal AF and "MF assist" (M focus mode then AEL/AFL button, which I have set to AF). For the berries, I couldn't get it to lock at all and MF was the only way. in the fern shot, it was hit or miss.

I've taken around
...Show more

CDAF systems can indeed have problems when there's strong backlighting, like in these shots.

Aug 29, 2013 at 01:27 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.136 #5 · p.136 #5 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

oops, double post

Edited on Aug 29, 2013 at 03:36 PM · View previous versions

Aug 29, 2013 at 03:32 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.136 #6 · p.136 #6 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

I am trying X-E1 to possibly replace my NEX system, did I get a bad kit lens or am I doing something stoopid?? Seems like my lens is waaaay off, but it's a new camera so maybe it's me? I focused directly on the tree in the foreground, no recompose. Nothing tricky. Just a simple test shot on my morning walk.

I shot it both JPG and RAW and the JPG capture also looks bad, so I don't think it's a LR issue (I also tried developing in Capture 1).

Thoughts?

Full image

Cropped

Aug 29, 2013 at 03:32 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.136 #7 · p.136 #7 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

This could be the result of the funky CFA Fuji put on the new X cameras. Is it Silkypix which gives sharper results?

Aug 29, 2013 at 04:10 PM
apsphoto
• • •
p.136 #8 · p.136 #8 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

It looks to me like the focus is further back. This does not look like smearing from the processing, the tree branches are soft too. The background looks sharper. What setting? What aperture and what were the focus settings? Single shot or continuous or manual?

Alan

Aug 29, 2013 at 04:21 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.136 #9 · p.136 #9 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Thanks for looking - full Exif data is on the photo. ISO 200, f/5.6, 1/280. Single shot. Handheld, OIS on. Just really basic settings that SHOULD give optimal sharpness, same settings that I use with NEX and my lil RX100... Unless I'm doing something totally silly that I missed.

I have noticed most of my photos look a bit hazy, like either I'm really not used to how Fuji files look, or somehow the lens is misaligned. I read on Photozone DE that the lens is really good, if you can find a well centered sample. This seems like something other than centering to me, tho.

LR version is 4.4 which is supposed to not be bad for the watercolor effect?

ETA: and flexible spot focus - so focus was definitely on the tree and it didn't jump to the background.

Aug 29, 2013 at 04:32 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.136 #10 · p.136 #10 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Do you have a crop from the tree to the left of this one?

Aug 29, 2013 at 07:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mco_970
• • • • •
p.136 #11 · p.136 #11 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Hi Carsten, I can post one when I get off from work. I'm currently enslaved for a few more hours.

Aug 29, 2013 at 07:35 PM
itai195
• • •
p.136 #12 · p.136 #12 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Could be the lens, it might be worth trying another lens like the 35/1.4 to see if it produces the same issues. At a shutter speed like 1/280, you might also try turning off OIS since it may be counterproductive.

Also, is any part of the image sharp?

Aug 29, 2013 at 11:51 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.136 #13 · p.136 #13 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

I don't see any part of the image being sharp... Here are trees from the other side.

I hate to open the 35/1.4 if I have to send the kit back.

left hand side of image

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:03 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.136 #14 · p.136 #14 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Here's another sample shot at the same time. Full EXIF is on the file. Focus point was the near cattails. They look hazy or lack contrast or something. Or is this how Fuji files should look?

Full image

Cropped

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:06 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.136 #15 · p.136 #15 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Cattails shots looks okay to me, but sorta hard to tell because I'm using a retina macbook at native resolution, so most photos to me are small

Do you have any type of filter mounted on the lens?

Also, are you sharpening these in LR 4?

If you're in the return window, I'd go ahead and try the 35/1.4 to see if you just got a bum 18-55.

Here's about the closest photo I could match to your 18-55, sharpened RAF from LR4.4

DSCF6820 by J L Smith, on Flickr

and a 100% crop near the center

DSCF6820-2 by J L Smith, on Flickr

Aug 30, 2013 at 01:02 AM
dakel
• •
p.136 #16 · p.136 #16 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Did you post the jpeg or developed raw? What sharpening settings are you using? For an image like this I tend to narrow the radius to about 0.7, detail between 50 and 70, and amount to taste but usually 30-50. Masking is set to about 20.

In your first image something looks off. The second doesn't look too bad.

Aug 30, 2013 at 01:11 AM
Camtography

p.136 #17 · p.136 #17 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Pika-Boo! by CameronH82, on Flickr

Aug 30, 2013 at 01:51 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.136 #18 · p.136 #18 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

dakel wrote:
Did you post the jpeg or developed raw? What sharpening settings are you using? For an image like this I tend to narrow the radius to about 0.7, detail between 50 and 70, and amount to taste but usually 30-50. Masking is set to about 20.

In your first image something looks off. The second doesn't look too bad.

The ones I posted are developed from RAW.

The SOOC JPG looks almost identical, so I don't think it's a LR problem. My base sharpening is radius .7, detail 50, amount 35, masking is usually around 60, but I vary it depending on the image.

I am going to try an image with my kit lens and NEX tomorrow (time & weather permitting) to see how it looks. I don't remember my 18-55 NEX kit looking quite this bad, and I thought the Fuji kit lens would be great in comparison. It does so well in reviews and lens tests.

If I return the camera, I also need to return the 35 and 60mm lenses... Bought them as the current package deal that is going.

This is another sample, I thought this picture would turn out kind of cool, but it's pretty darned blurry throughout... I focused about 1/3 of the way in, on the area that I show for the cropped part of the image.

Full image

Cropped

Aug 30, 2013 at 02:15 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.136 #19 · p.136 #19 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

cputeq wrote:
Cattails shots looks okay to me, but sorta hard to tell because I'm using a retina macbook at native resolution, so most photos to me are small

Do you have any type of filter mounted on the lens?

Also, are you sharpening these in LR 4?

If you're in the return window, I'd go ahead and try the 35/1.4 to see if you just got a bum 18-55.

Here's about the closest photo I could match to your 18-55, sharpened RAF from LR4.4

Thanks for those samples - they do look a little funny to my eyes in the foliage, too. Interesting!!

No filter, just the good old kit lens. Sharpening is in LR4.

I think I also need to try OIS off, maybe it's gyro and my natural gyros are not in sync?

Or I suppose the other explanation is I have turned into a prime lens snob.

Aug 30, 2013 at 02:18 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.136 #20 · p.136 #20 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

If you like the other lenses, maybe see about Fuji correcting it? Or is it easier to just return the whole kit for another kit?

Aug 30, 2013 at 02:20 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password