Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              107      
       109              288       289       end

Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

glacierpete
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.108 #1 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Here is an interesting posting from Amin Sabet on fujixspot (sorry in case it was posted before)
http://www.fujixspot.com/f24/full-res-zeiss-touit-32mm-f-1-8-sample-photos-1287/

I do have a DP2M and was interested how the x-trans sensor compares. Downloaded the raws and run them through C1 and SPP. I was really surprised how close these x-trans files are to the 65MB Merrils. The xe-1 seems to be a real great camera.

Jul 04, 2013 at 07:16 AM
HelenaN
• • •
p.108 #2 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Charles and jonrock, thank you both! Yeah, can't complain about the scenery here.
The 14mm lens is Fuji's own, Fujinon XF 14mmF2.8. Sorry, I'll try and remember to include the brand the next time.

Jul 04, 2013 at 08:24 AM
Fverburg

p.108 #3 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Here are a couple of shots with a Contax 90 G with a cheap Ebay adapter. I really like this lens.

They are all crops, with some sharpening.

This has some sharpening and some work with the shadow slider in LR.

The manual focus with the 3X and 10X zoom works pretty well. I would imagine the focus peaking will really make things easier.

Regards,

Frank

Jul 04, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.108 #4 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

millsart wrote:
Nice shots Jordan, is that Glen Echo Ravine ?

I've been finding 21mm is a bit of a challenge to compose with, so I can only imagine how tough the even wider 18mm equiv is as it includes so much of the scene. Total opposite of how I've been working lately with longer focal lengths and trying to isolate details.

Hows the handling as well ? Looks so large and unweildly with that giant hood attached, but is it about the same weight as the 14 ?

Yes, that's Glen Echo Ravine...it was my first time there (never knew it existed until yesterday). I love UWA, and I've been used to composing with 14-18mm equivalent for years. That said, this is the first prime I've used that's this wide, and I did find it a bit constricting. In a UWA zoom, which I typically have used, I use the widest part often...even on the 7-14 on m4/3. But not having the ability to zoom in could be a little frustrating at times, and I switched to the 14mm on a few occasions just to get a little longer view. I think I prefer the 14mm as a prime...it's wide enough to do the vast majority of tasks a UWA can do, but not so wide that you feel locked in.

I have some very detailed thoughts on the 12mm (including a comparison to the Fuji 14) in the Touit touit touit thread. Long story short: it's a very good lens, but the 14mm is sharper across the whole frame. The Touit is sharp to the corners, but it's not that blistering, super fine detail sharp that the 14mm is. It handles OK when it's on the camera, and it's built very well. It's heavier than the 14mm, but the flared front and huge hood make it kind of a pain to work in the bags I use for my mirrorless kits. I'm not a fan of the smooth rubber focus ring. It turns smoothly, but it doesn't feel like a focus ring, and sometimes because it's so smooth, it's hard to tell if you're turning it or not. Overall, at least so far...I'd recommend the Fuji 14 over the Zeiss 12 unless you absolutely needed the extra width. I'll be shooting a lot with it over the next week (then I have to send it back).

Jul 04, 2013 at 02:40 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.108 #5 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

A few recent ones, all with the X-E1 and 35 1.4, last one with 18-55....

Edited on Jul 04, 2013 at 04:09 PM · View previous versions

Jul 04, 2013 at 02:55 PM
AbramG
• • • •
p.108 #6 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Just got my 18mm in the mail yesterday and I can't wait to shoot with it, I'll hopefully have some things to share soon.

Jul 04, 2013 at 03:46 PM
xenor
• •
p.108 #7 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Keira the Peep with 18-55

Mallow with Hexanon 135mm f/3.2 @f/5.6

Jul 04, 2013 at 11:37 PM
absolutic
• • •
p.108 #8 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Jul 05, 2013 at 05:17 AM
cputeq
• • • •
p.108 #9 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Pretty good fireworks this year
XE1, 18-55

NM Fireworks 1 by J L Smith, on Flickr

NM Fireworks 2 by J L Smith, on Flickr

Jul 05, 2013 at 07:20 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.108 #10 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

CPU--- nice!

Well times long exposures?

Jul 05, 2013 at 09:23 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cputeq
• • • •
p.108 #11 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

justruss wrote:
CPU--- nice!

Well times long exposures?

THanks. Just constantly shooting in Bulb mode with time estimates, usually I was sitting around f/8 and about 15-20 seconds.

These particular two were 10 seconds and 26 seconds.

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:11 PM
AbramG
• • • •
p.108 #12 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

That is one thing I've never been able to capture properly (lightning), but I am always impressed to see it done well!

Jul 05, 2013 at 02:30 PM
alba63
• • •
p.108 #13 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

glacierpete wrote:
I was really surprised how close these x-trans files are to the 65MB Merrils. The xe-1 seems to be a real great camera.

I had a look at the files (I have an X-E1 and the Nex-7), I really think that detail/ resolution is overrated, even with a normal converter or in JPEG I never had the feeling the Fuji has not enough detail. I tried the latest version of Irident converter (as a demo, I still have a 3 year old bought version) and while the detail of those file is brutal, it is also too gritty/ brittle for my taste. A normal converter like Silkypix has enough sharpness for my taste, and the Nex-7 has more of it without any special effort. It also has better DR than the Fuji...

Concerning detail, a regular 16MP file without specific optimization to squeeze out the last 2% is already enough to show small details. When you shoot let's say a landscape scenery, the question becomes then, how sharp and clear are single leafs (of the trees) rendered. A quite artificial question really because with my eyes I do not see those, and I must say the Merrill files quite unattractive to me, the image being at the border of pointillism.
What#s attractive to me in an image is the general "gestalt" of what's being shown, with light and shadow, and a sharp zone that has good detail. Depicting every singular leaf is not wishful to me, it detracts from the composition.

Cheers
bernie

Jul 05, 2013 at 06:20 PM
justruss
• • • •
p.108 #14 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

A few long day-time exposures in B&W (X-E1 w/ 35mm, Aperture):

Jul 05, 2013 at 06:20 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.108 #15 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

really like #3 above!

Jul 05, 2013 at 06:46 PM
millsart
• • • •
p.108 #16 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

As a Merrill owner, in addition to a Xe-1 owner, I'd have to disagree Bernie, and say that at least for me, when it comes to a landscape shot, I rather like capturing every last bit of detail, every leaf, every texture of bark, rocks etc.

Now of course you are right that when you look at a scene we don't see all that (especially me since I"m maybe 20/30 eyesight at best) but what is cool then about the Merrill, or really any very high resolution tool, such as a 4x5 field camera, is that you can capture those details and when printed at a decent size, it allows the viewer to see the scene in a different way.

Nothing wrong with capturing something just as it looked, but I don't find that makes for an interesting landscape shot. Rather I like to be able to see what I've been missing.

See that a field of wild flowers isn't just some slightly blurred fields of color, but actually made up of tens of thousands of flower petals, or the textures of on the park of a grove of Aspen tree's etc

Not every image needs this, and my DP2m is my least used camera I own, but its still a favorite, and for those times when it really does work, its a really amazing tool.

I'd love something like MF back, but I can't really afford gear costing several times my car, and that I'd use for just hobbyist landscape use. Merrill, especially when stitched gets me closer to that and in an easy to carry little package.

I just gives me the fine detail I like that my RX1 or D800 can't even deliver (though I do only have Nikon glass, no Zeiss primes which could be a little sharper)

I've heard the X3 files called "hyper reality" and that is somewhat fitting and they do somewhat capture more than we realize is there, but that is what is fun with them, looking at the per pixel sharpness at 100% and seeing that there is in fact a birds next in the tree in your backyard you never realized was there, or that there are tiny little hikers you can make out on the shot of a mountain etc.

I find myself shooting things with the camera just to get back home and explore them in detail. Its a very poor camera in many ways, but its also a very fun camera at times.

Jul 05, 2013 at 07:13 PM
PNArruda

p.108 #17 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Fuji X-E1, 35mm f/1.4

Cheers,
P.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pedronarruda/9209363721/

Jul 06, 2013 at 12:57 AM
corposant
• • • •
p.108 #18 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

I have been playing with Iridient Developer's demo for the past day.

The Deconvolution Sharpening must be similar to whatever Fuji does in-camera with its JPGs, because it brings out a staggering amount of detail in the RAWs. I started trying to replicate the sharpening routine in Photoshop. Smart Sharpen with a little High Pass gets pretty close, but Iridient's sharpening algorithm is pretty impressive right of the gate. I am going to play around with C1/PS to see if I can actually get the same amount of detail.

The rest of the program kind of leaves a bit to be desired, but as the demo is fully functional (and the $70 license isn't wallet-crunching) it's worth a try if anybody wants to squeeze a little more detail out of their files without taking them into PS.

Jul 06, 2013 at 04:39 AM
Camtography

p.108 #19 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

Some Infrared shots from two days ago.

Notre-Dame-3 by Camtography, on Flickr

Notre-Dame-93 by Camtography, on Flickr

Notre-Dame-97 by Camtography, on Flickr

Notre-Dame-98 by Camtography, on Flickr

Jul 06, 2013 at 09:54 AM
xenor
• •
p.108 #20 · Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread

I love the how well the X-E1 works with manual focus lenses. Here are a few more playing with a couple of new acquisitions:

Shadows | Hexanon 135mm f/3.2

The next three with Super Takumar 105mm f/2.8
Daisy

Mallow

Hanging Planter of Petunias

Jul 06, 2013 at 05:07 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register