Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2012 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

stedge
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

Maybe I am nuts, but I don't buy that this camera can't do sports. I think 4 fps is enough to do well (and 6 with the necessary grip for sports/vertical orientation), it focuses fast, and will allow cropping if you are shooting at a distance. Also good under the lights. The buffer is good enough. Other than the lack of 11fps, what's not to like? I'm thinking about one to replace my D2Xs as a "backup" to the D3. Pretty much everything would be covered, it seems.

Seems like a good ALL-around camera to me.

Mar 23, 2012 at 09:47 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

I shoot aviation, and I'm completely happy with it. Thrilled. Sometimes you get more keepers at 9fps than at 4fps... but not always. Most of the time you just generate more files to sift through when looking for your best. Heck, I shot my D3s at 5fps a good chunk of the time.

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:17 PM
stedge
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

That's what I'm thinking, Rodolfo!!

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:07 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
I shoot aviation, and I'm completely happy with it. Thrilled. Sometimes you get more keepers at 9fps than at 4fps... but not always. Most of the time you just generate more files to sift through when looking for your best. Heck, I shot my D3s at 5fps a good chunk of the time.

Give me a short enough blackout time and 1fps and I will be just fine.

I much prefer the short blackout / 4fps of the d800 over the higher frame rate but MUCH longer blackout time of the d700

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:26 PM
LMT1972
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

stedge wrote:
Maybe I am nuts, but I don't buy that this camera can't do sports. I think 4 fps is enough to do well (and 6 with the necessary grip for sports/vertical orientation), it focuses fast, and will allow cropping if you are shooting at a distance. Also good under the lights. The buffer is good enough. Other than the lack of 11fps, what's not to like? I'm thinking about one to replace my D2Xs as a "backup" to the D3. Pretty much everything would be covered, it seems.

Seems like a good ALL-around camera to me.

Yeah it does 6fps in DX mode (15mb file) which is probably adequate for most serious amateur shooters. Heck I used to get decent results with my D70s at 1.5fps

Cheers
Leigh

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:27 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

LMT1972 wrote:
Heck I used to get decent results with my D70s at 1.5fps

I'd forgotten about that...

You pretty much adapt to the camera you've got. My thinking and timing changes when the camera has a different frame rate... you just work with it.

DX mode is one thing I don't foresee using at all. Whether I end up cropping to 10MP or not cropping at all, I'll figure that out once I get the file into the computer.

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:36 PM
miloz
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

Ryukyu wrote:
Not to create a firestorm here, but how credible is DxOMark?
I've seen a number of comments at different forums questioning this.

If nothing else, you can compare the DR numbers of a new camera to one you have experience with.

I don't necessarily know if the D800 has 14.4 stops of DR or how to visualize that - but if they rate it at 2 stops more than a D700, that gives me an excellent idea of what to expect.

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

What I find extremely interesting in the DxO data is how close their Sports (Low-light ISO) ratings are for the D800 (scored 2853) and the D4 (scored 2965). If the D800 does ISO 12800 with quality anywhere near what my D3s used to give me or what I could expect from the D4, I'm going to be one seriously happy camper.

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:

+10

Funny you say this, because I have found the same to be true. I find high frame rate > 5fps to be most useful when you are trying to get people's expressions to fast moving action .... facial expressions move so quickly and often cannot be timed. Most action can be timed if you know your sport/subject.

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:51 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
I'd forgotten about that...

You pretty much adapt to the camera you've got. My thinking and timing changes when the camera has a different frame rate... you just work with it.

DX mode is one thing I don't foresee using at all. Whether I end up cropping to 10MP or not cropping at all, I'll figure that out once I get the file into the computer.

I don't know on that ... I like getting it right in camera ... cropping takes time.

Mar 24, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

SloPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

SloPhoto wrote:
d7000 scaled up to ff with no improvements would net this number. There has been some talk of minor improvements at a pixel level. Still going to be a stunning camera.

Ok, Dxo finally loaded and I take back what I said. While they did not hit 15 stops of DR like I had hoped, the full SNR curves look amazing down in the low shadows range. They fall down to zero slightly earlier than the d7000, but the curve overall is better.

Very exciting.

Mar 24, 2012 at 01:17 AM
EltonTeng
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

Tommy_D wrote:
You are kidding, right. It's 2 stops better than the D700 at their best figures, and stays about a half stop better at their worst figures. That's a pretty huge upgrade.

The two stop improvement is a reason for upgrading!

Mar 24, 2012 at 02:07 AM
passthegravy
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

LMT1972 wrote:
. . . Heck I used to get decent results with my D70s at 1.5fps

Ha ha. I remember those days. Imagine my shock when I got a D2h.

Mar 24, 2012 at 03:05 AM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

Ripolini wrote:
Is that the same DxO website that rated the 105 VR better than the Zeiss 100/2 Makro-Planar?

Mar 24, 2012 at 03:28 AM
_SBS_
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

As a Canon studio shooter I am really starting to think about switching to a company that actually cares about DR and low ISO improvements.

I'll give it a few months but this looks like my poor man's medium format camera dream come true especially with the no AA filter option.

Hope you guys will help with my numerous questions if (when?) I decide to join the right side.

BTW-Trying to calculate my loses on lens sales and miscellaneous canon only accessories makes my brain meats hurt too much...But the results may be worth it in the long run.

Mar 24, 2012 at 03:56 AM
KibblesNbitz
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

_SBS_ wrote:
As a Canon studio shooter I am really starting to think about switching to a company that actually cares about DR and low ISO improvements.

I'll give it a few months but this looks like my poor man's medium format camera dream come true especially with the no AA filter option.

Hope you guys will help with my numerous questions if (when?) I decide to join the right side.

BTW-Trying to calculate my loses on lens sales and miscellaneous canon only accessories makes my brain meats hurt too much...But the results may be worth it in the long run.

Do itttt

Ask as many questions as you please!

I've always thought of Nikon as being more photo-centric, meaning they actually care about making improvements in general where Canon seemed more apt to limit features and improvements in order to force customers to upgrade to a more expensive model, where-as Nikon was never afraid to cannibalize their higher end models with features and improvements in lower tier cameras, like the D800 in relation to the D3X.

But eh, what the heck do I know

And yes, there is significant costs in switching brands and equipment, and Nikon tends to be more expensive, but at least you get the value for your money with Nikon stuff that actually works *cough 5DII autofocus cough cough* and with innovative new features/improvements...

In reality both systems are good, but I don't blame you for wanting to switch either...

Mar 24, 2012 at 04:08 AM
chuckbernard

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

I've been studying their review and the graphs and I would like to point out the following things.

The Tonal Range, and SNR graphs show that the D800 and D4 are near identical for these measurements. Except for the fact that the D4 continues, in a near linear fashion, to a much higher ISO sensitivity.

For Color Sensitivity, below ISO 160, the D800 is ever so slightly better then the D4 but for every equal ISO above 160 the D4 is ever so slightly better.

As far as Dynamic Range goes, below (aprox.) ISO 200 the D800 is clearly superior to the D4. Above ISO 200 to ISO 310 the D800 is slightly better. Everything above ISO 400 (and this is a very wide range) the D4 is clearly superior.

My observation is that their ratings are biased too much towards the peak values instead of overall measurements.
There will be very few real world shooting conditions where you can take advantage of these peak capabilities.

Not that it makes a lot of difference but who is going to take photos at less than ISO 100 in normal conditions? For sport shooters with large lenses (f/4 and slower) won't you need ISO 400 and above to get the shutter speeds that you need?

Ok, don't flame me. I'm just thinking out loud and wanted to hear opinions...
(By the way, I am very impressed by the results of these tests. Just picking on the tests and results)

Mar 24, 2012 at 06:02 AM
mehrdad sadat
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

i did not know dxomark makes or appoints kings!!

Mar 24, 2012 at 06:06 AM
LMT1972
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

chuckbernard wrote:
My observation is that their ratings are biased too much towards the peak values instead of overall measurements.
There will be very few real world shooting conditions where you can take advantage of these peak capabilities.

Not that it makes a lot of difference but who is going to take photos at less than ISO 100 in normal conditions? For sport shooters with large lenses (f/4 and slower) won't you need ISO 400 and above to get the shutter speeds that you need?

Ok, don't flame me. I'm just thinking out loud and wanted to hear opinions...
(By the way, I am very
...Show more

I think a lot of landsacape and studio shooters would disagree with you Most will be using D800 at its base ISO setting without any problems at all. For sports shooters, ISO 400 @ f4 in good light will give you a shutter speed of 1/2000+ and for most sports 1/1000 is fast enough to freeze most action. While sports is not the best suited genre for the D800 (and pros will certainly prefer the D4) I think it will still do an admirable job.

For me (I use the D300 shooting sports) I really want extra DR, less noise and better cropability at ISO 400 and below so the D800 is certainly an attractive option, and hopefully the D400 can deliver similar DR and low ISO performance with 8+ fps at a cheaper price point

Cheers
Leigh

Mar 24, 2012 at 06:52 AM
ausemmao
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

chuckbernard wrote:
I've been studying their review and the graphs and I would like to point out the following things.

The Tonal Range, and SNR graphs show that the D800 and D4 are near identical for these measurements. Except for the fact that the D4 continues, in a near linear fashion, to a much higher ISO sensitivity.

For Color Sensitivity, below ISO 160, the D800 is ever so slightly better then the D4 but for every equal ISO above 160 the D4 is ever so slightly better.

As far as Dynamic Range goes, below (aprox.) ISO 200 the D800 is clearly superior to the D4.
...Show more

1/2000 and ISO 100 isn't uncommon for daylight sports at all. ISO 100 use isn't uncommon at all in general.

I see what you're saying, but that's why they have the curves with ISO - If you know you'll never use less than ISO400 for example, you know to disregard those values when comparing sensors for your use.

WRT the D800 vs D4, those curves aren't saying the D800 is the best camera for anything ever. It is saying that while you get arguably the best low ISO camera, you also get a very fine mid and high ISO one. Incidentally, if the DR scores are accurate then even putting the resolution thing aside the D4 will be nicer to use at high ISO as it has significantly more DR - there won't be that 'flattening' of the image to the same extent.

I want to find the thread from late 2011 comparing the D7000 to the D700 and extrapolating D800 performance, it was nicely accurate though a little overoptimistic on DR.

Mar 24, 2012 at 10:09 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password