FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

chris129
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

A score of 95!

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/News/DxOMark-news/The-Nikon-D800-is-the-new-king-of-DxOMark-with-a-score-of-95

Mar 23, 2012 at 09:54 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

DxoMark site's is unavailable due to load/demand but Nikon Rumors has screen captures of the results here:

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/03/23/nikon-d800-gets-tested-at-dxomark-gets-the-1-spot.aspx/#more-36446

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:17 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

Just amazing...

All bow to the king by Mandrake Photography, on Flickr

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:31 AM
pookipichu
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

ugh. Make it even harder to get one before summer.... ugh.

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Ripolini
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

Is that the same DxO website that rated the 105 VR better than the Zeiss 100/2 Makro-Planar?

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:56 AM
pdx_B-Rad
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

That does not help at all. Now to sell that car I don't use...

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Tommy_D
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

Definitely a landscape photographer's dream camera. Actually, it's pretty damn good for anyone who shoots in the studio, Macro, Architecture, etc. as well. Basically, anything short of sports and action photography.

Pretty good piece of kit despite its GIANT file sizes. Seriously Nikon, create a firmware update to include different RAW file sizes. That would be a HUGE update for anyone concerned about buying this camera.

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:04 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

Tommy_D wrote:
Definitely a landscape photographer's dream camera. Actually, it's pretty damn good for anyone who shoots in the studio, Macro, Architecture, etc. as well. Basically, anything short of sports and action photography.

Pretty good piece of kit despite its GIANT file sizes. Seriously Nikon, create a firmware update to include different RAW file sizes. That would be a HUGE update for anyone concerned about buying this camera.

Indeed.
This is the new 35mm landscape dream camera.

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:10 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

I am actually disappointed in the DR numbers. (I was hoping for a base figure of 15 stops)

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:11 AM
afm901
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

SloPhoto wrote:
I am actually disappointed in the DR numbers. (I was hoping for a base figure of 15 stops)

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Tommy_D
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

SloPhoto wrote:

You are kidding, right. It's 2 stops better than the D700 at their best figures, and stays about a half stop better at their worst figures. That's a pretty huge upgrade.

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:32 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

Tommy_D wrote:
You are kidding, right. It's 2 stops better than the D700 at their best figures, and stays about a half stop better at their worst figures. That's a pretty huge upgrade.

d7000 scaled up to ff with no improvements would net this number. There has been some talk of minor improvements at a pixel level. Still going to be a stunning camera.

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:45 AM
miloz
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

Looks to be 1/2 to 3/4 of a stop improvement at 3200 & 6400. Makes me feel better about thinking of buying a used D700 and upgrading to a D800 when the fervor dies down.

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:59 AM
mkawa
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

arggghhh this isn't helping my irrational upgrade lust at all.

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Ryukyu
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

Not to create a firestorm here, but how credible is DxOMark?
I've seen a number of comments at different forums questioning this.

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:47 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

Ryukyu wrote:

Their dynamic range and SNR numbers have generally matched up with independent analysis done by others.

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

Ryukyu wrote:

Usually people's opinions on it are skewed to fit their own agenda. The best way to tell is getting your hands on different bodies, testing them and seeing how they compare on DxO. I've burned through a lot of different bodies and use the DxO DR and iso scores to determine how a sensor may perform if I get it. The thing to understand is when some of these scores are close it's hard to see the difference between them.

Mar 23, 2012 at 01:00 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

Great. This speaks well about the direction Nikon is going with their camera technology. An improvement in DR and noise in the D800 can only mean they are going to do well in future dSLRs.

Mar 23, 2012 at 01:22 PM
aztwang1
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

Tommy_D wrote:

Lets get back to the sensor review.
This is a game changer for many I'm sure. I would have no issues shooting NBA, College BB,
and College football with this ( Daytime or Nighttime). None of the above disciplines require more than ISO 4000. I could see using this as my short short yardage, end-zone camera with the 24-70 or the 70-200 VRII, set to FX jpeg normal large. This setting reduces my file size by 45% and keeps it more manageable . Shadow detail is huge in football and the DR excels here just behind the D4. Overall I think this WOULD work as a second sports camera, just have to be on your
game to catch the peak action given a slower shutter....

Mar 23, 2012 at 02:20 PM
lou f
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · DxOMark is out - Nikon D800 new king

Tommy_D wrote:

Can't be arsed reading dxo but if it's 2 stops better than my d700 I'll learn to live with its 4fps... Well it'll be the e for me!

Mar 23, 2012 at 04:15 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.