Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Barred Owl, Bloody Beak, Dead Vole

Bruce n Philly
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Barred Owl, Bloody Beak, Dead Vole

I took these last winter at Forsythe nature reserve near Atlantic City NJ. C&C required!

The exposure was awful but the subject was really cool. I guess this is where technical goof is trumped by subject interest. I processed these first in DPP, then I re-processed in LR3, and now I just re-processed with LR4 and LR4 now made these presentable. LR4 is really a better tool, particularly in my hands, a flaming amateur.

The whole story on my blog

This is the first time I am posting my "work", hope I get the links correct.

Now, this was the best I could do in Canon's DPP (actually it doesn't look too bad):

Guess I should post the original out of the camera no processing:

Bruce....

Mar 23, 2012 at 02:51 PM
gschrade
• • •
p.1 #2 · Barred Owl, Bloody Beak, Dead Vole

Nice set Bruce. Like the wink in #5

George

Mar 23, 2012 at 03:08 PM
jfwoodman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Barred Owl, Bloody Beak, Dead Vole

Sucking down voles like popsicles, that owl was. Interesting series, thanks for sharing.

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:45 PM
dalongfellow
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Barred Owl, Bloody Beak, Dead Vole

At least in the last shot, it looks like that owl has been eating a few voles--its really plumped up. I would not have guessed that you cropped the original as much as you did. I think your LR4 set looks pretty good. As you say, the subject matter is what's important to me. I'm always jealous of any owl pics, much less a good sequence like this.

Dave

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Haifisch M3
• • •
p.1 #5 · Barred Owl, Bloody Beak, Dead Vole

nice sequence with all the details
Hai

Mar 24, 2012 at 03:02 AM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Barred Owl, Bloody Beak, Dead Vole

A big big welcome to posting your work Bruce, congrats on that giant step forward!

Almost always you find an Owl with backlighting, at least for me. The exposure is always a great challenge and so is often the PP work to follow.
The shot held up very well to the large crop and you have some nice detail and the story is told very well in you images, nice work.
As a tip, sometimes lowering the contrast on shots like this can be very helpful..

Keep the images coming...
Karl

Mar 24, 2012 at 03:11 AM
ashley138
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Barred Owl, Bloody Beak, Dead Vole

Wow, that looks really good for such a heavy crop. Super cool shots. I once watched a Barred Owl hunt, kill and eat a vole - all about 40 ft from me! He didn't even care I was there, it was so cool. But I didn't have my camera with me. It's awesome you were able to capture this. Great work.

Mar 24, 2012 at 05:26 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Barred Owl, Bloody Beak, Dead Vole

nice action set Bruce

Mar 24, 2012 at 08:48 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password