Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · gbb section final

sandman22
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · gbb section final

Havent posted in a bit so I thought I would post some recent bball for you guys to pick out all the flaws and help me get better. Trying to ge better in post and sharpness I feel I am slowly getting a bit better..... Thanks

Ben

Mar 23, 2012 at 04:19 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · gbb section final

Personally, I think an area of improvement for you to focus on is shot selection. Most of the girls basketball photos you have posted are of this same girl. We know from your posts that she cracked the 1,000 point milestone. Every reason to believe she's a good player. But I can't recall seeing a single shot from you where it's clear from the photo that she's a star. Your first shot here doesn't do it, and I can't see any reason why you would have chosen to post the second. So what are you seeing in these shots that leads you to select them to post here? And this is not a rhetorical question. Skill, post-processing--very important. But at some point, it comes down to being able to judge your own work and identify your best shots. Walk us through your selection process here.

Mar 23, 2012 at 04:31 AM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · gbb section final

Russ,

I see where you are coming from. I definately need work in all aspects of photography, which includes composing and picking the best shots. With these I did not have alot to choose from since I only took a few shots (was there to watch the game) since It is a hobby now and only you guys and myself see my photos. I just got my 7d in December and still have alot of work to do. First time with a fairly nice camera. So I agree I definately need to put more effort into composing and choosing interesting pictures for you guys to critique, but in all honesty I am still grasping what are good shots and what are not. Looking at your posts and others is helping this. I plan on taking alot more photos in the spring so hopefully I can get some better composed shots. I guess with the second one I just thought it was kind of intriguing and I liked her eyes. I will put more thought into it in the future!! Thanks for the time to look and critique it is very helpful coming from someone so established. Any pointers on what to look for in basketball to make exciting shots and show they are a star? Baseball?

Thanks

Ben

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:26 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · gbb section final

Ben,

In my not so lengthy experience in shooting girls BB, I've found that a team generally has one spark plug and only occasionally two. No team in the league I cover has more than 2 "go-getters." It's natural that they would get the most attention cause they are often at the action or causing it. Still, you have to discipline yourself to look to the off ball action, note those who have quick touches, and actually work on following specific players to get the "looking good."

Your 2 action shots are OK (I know, damned with faint praise but they are both just movement on the floor. Yes, the player's eyes in the second shot are intense but I (and your AF and probably most people) had to work past the zebra stripes to get to her expression. I do like the expression of the girl on the right in the first jube shot.

About all I can add to Russ' comment (who has much more experience than I do) is that you have to take lots of shots and throw most of them away. In a reasonably played girls game, I'll generally have ~400 frames of which maybe 10-15% even make it off the card. I don't burst shoot except in extreme situations like a break or going to the hoop. Don't know where you can shoot from, but being the local press I can work pretty much anywhere on the floor (out of play area) and in the stands. I make a point of putting myself at particular vantages and working them (say well up in the stands with a 135mm). Other quarters I'll stay on the baseline with a 50mm.

I obviously have a long way to go also, but that's what help I can offer after my first season as a "pro." Oh and there is this thing called anticipating the play." I keep trying, but you'd be amazed at how many perfectly focused shots of the rim I have with no one there cause nobody got off the floor to sweep for the rebound. More practice, I guess.

Robert

Mar 23, 2012 at 05:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sandman22
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · gbb section final

Thanks Robert I will have to try to get to some summer ball to work on these things!! Its hard to realize how many things go into getting good shots when you aren't the one taking pictures.

Mar 23, 2012 at 06:34 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · gbb section final

Ben: One of the things often recommended is to devote some time to looking at lots of images from the sport you are shooting. Develop some sense of what appeals to you and then try to break it down to understand what elements of those shots are important. If you look at national, Sports Illustrated-type publications, you can just assume that what's published is good, and work from there to see what speaks to you. If you're looking at threads on this forum, you still can think about what appeals to you, but it also is interesting to see which images within a post of multiple images are the ones that most of the participants are singling out as their favorites. The more you can see and think about what makes a good image, the more likely it becomes not only that you can produce such images, but that you will know when you do.

Mar 23, 2012 at 06:38 PM
lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · gbb section final

Ben,

I've had some modest success using a very simple approach that may also work for you.

Just try to copy Russ.

Best,

Larry

Mar 23, 2012 at 07:03 PM
sandman22
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · gbb section final

haha Larry sounds like a pretty solid approach...I will have to try and copy Paul this spring for baseball.....

Mar 23, 2012 at 07:41 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password