Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Is a Gitzo GT5531s overkill?

pahrens
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Is a Gitzo GT5531s overkill?

I'm doing long exposure landscape photos of around 3-5 minutes and my current tripod is not nearly sturdy enough. I'm upgrading to a medium format digital soon too which will be heavier. Would a Gitzo GT5531s be overkill for this? It looks like a nice and sturdy tripod but I'm worried it might be going too far.

Mar 23, 2012 at 04:16 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Is a Gitzo GT5531s overkill?

I have the GT5541LS which is about the same tripod. But I use it with super-tele's. Maybe it's a bit of an overkill for you. But it also depends on what medium format & lenses for that you like to use. Probably a Systematic series 3 will be perfect for you. I suppose you already know that the s model is a short tripod.
What head will you use ?

Mar 23, 2012 at 04:27 AM
pahrens
• • •
p.1 #3 · Is a Gitzo GT5531s overkill?

It would be nice to see these in person but no dealer in my state stocks Gitzo tripods much less a 5 series. I'll probably go with a Hasselblad H3DII-31 or Phase 645DF camera with primes lenses around 50mm-150mm. Maybe a zoom such as the Hasselblad 50-110mm as well.

I had no idea the s stood for short, if there is a longer version available that would be better.

Mar 23, 2012 at 04:30 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Is a Gitzo GT5531s overkill?

i'd be looking more at a Berlebach

Mar 23, 2012 at 04:30 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Is a Gitzo GT5531s overkill?

pahrens wrote:
It would be nice to see these in person but no dealer in my state stocks Gitzo tripods much less a 5 series. I'll probably go with a Hasselblad H3DII-31 or Phase 645DF camera with primes lenses around 50mm-150mm. Maybe a zoom such as the Hasselblad 50-110mm as well.

I had no idea the s stood for short, if there is a longer version available that would be better.

Yes there is many versions in the Systematic tripods

S version is rather short
LS version is longer
XLS version is very long

You can download their catalogue on their website and take a look at all their tripods

Mar 23, 2012 at 04:46 AM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Is a Gitzo GT5531s overkill?

I've shot long exposure photographs in the 5-45 minute range for a long time. With a camera/lens combo that's up to 5 pounds or so (5DII with a 24-70/2.8L), a Gitzo 3 series tripod has served me well.

Mar 23, 2012 at 06:05 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Is a Gitzo GT5531s overkill?

I'd also have a look at the RRS 33 or 34L. They are rated to the same load as the Gitzo 5 series but only have the weight of the Gitzo 3 series. If you search google you will find some review from people who switched from a 5 series to the 3 series and were very happy with the switch. I have the 34 L and think it is great but never had a Gitzo so can't directly compare.

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:23 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #8 · Is a Gitzo GT5531s overkill?

I've also shot long exposures at night with a 3-series Gitzo but that tripod is overkill for my equipment which is mostly 35mm rangefinders. However I believe in overkill when it comes to support, someone once said "you can never have too much support" so if I had your gear I'd probably go for the 5-series.

Mar 24, 2012 at 01:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

pcho
• • •
p.1 #9 · Is a Gitzo GT5531s overkill?

pahrens wrote:

I have both 5 and 3 series. 5 series is very stable but I purchased both from B&H.
However here is a link but I don't know how reliable they are. Never purchased from them before

http://www.photovideo.com.au/systematic-tripods-c-274_275_280_283.html

Perry

Mar 24, 2012 at 01:52 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Is a Gitzo GT5531s overkill?

arbitrage wrote:
I'd also have a look at the RRS 33 or 34L. They are rated to the same load as the Gitzo 5 series but only have the weight of the Gitzo 3 series. If you search google you will find some review from people who switched from a 5 series to the 3 series and were very happy with the switch. I have the 34 L and think it is great but never had a Gitzo so can't directly compare.

Not that load rating is important or have much to do with real life performance.
But those two RRS tripods do NOT have the same load rating as Gitzo series 5. They even have less load rating than the new Gitzo series 2
And the RRS tripods don't weight less than Gitzo tripods with similar load rating.

Gitzo Systematic series 5 40kg load rating
Gitzo Systematic series 2 25kg load rating
RRS 33 & 34L series 3 23 kg load rating

Both Gitzo or RRS will be excellent tripods for him. They are the top brands

Edited on Mar 24, 2012 at 03:38 AM · View previous versions

Mar 24, 2012 at 02:59 AM
pahrens
• • •
p.1 #11 · Is a Gitzo GT5531s overkill?

I'm thinking of getting the 5 series for now and down the track I'll also purchase a 3 series. Then I'll have the best of both worlds.

I'm a little less sure about the head now, probably a Arca Swiss Z1. Sometimes I find ball heads to be a complete pain when trying to make small changes to the composition. I don't know of any head that is as sturdy though.

Pcho, Photo Video are excellent to deal with. I've bought from them a few times and the service is very good, I've always spoken with Gregg and he's very helpful.

Mar 24, 2012 at 03:05 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Is a Gitzo GT5531s overkill?

Z1 and Systematic tripods are a very good combo.

Mar 24, 2012 at 03:52 AM
rprouty
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Is a Gitzo GT5531s overkill?

I had a Gitzo 5541 sold it and bought an RRS-34, I much prefer the RRS tripod.

Mar 24, 2012 at 06:28 PM
dasams
• • •
p.1 #14 · Is a Gitzo GT5531s overkill?

rprouty wrote:
I had a Gitzo 5541 sold it and bought an RRS-34, I much prefer the RRS tripod.

I have a RRS-34L and it is fantastic. I'm 5'10" and normally extend only three sections. It's also ideal for steep terrain when I extend the fourth section on the downhill leg. dave

Mar 24, 2012 at 06:59 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Is a Gitzo GT5531s overkill?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Not that load rating is important or have much to do with real life performance.
But those two RRS tripods do NOT have the same load rating as Gitzo series 5. They even have less load rating than the new Gitzo series 2
And the RRS tripods don't weight less than Gitzo tripods with similar load rating.

Gitzo Systematic series 5 40kg load rating
Gitzo Systematic series 2 25kg load rating
RRS 33 & 34L series 3 23 kg load rating

Both Gitzo or RRS will be excellent tripods for him. They are the top brands

Hey Lars,
When did Gitzo up their load ratings by so much? I only knew the past ratings from the last year when I was comparing the two companies. This was for the 3530LS and 5540LS. The past rating was 39lbs (18kgs) for the 3 series, not 39kgs. And it was 55lbs (25kgs) for the 5 series which is what I was considering almost equal to 23kgs of the 3 series RRS. If the newest versions have all of a sudden jumped the ratings by that much then I think they have succumbed to BS load ratings like most of the other tripod companies. Check out the RRS video for the new 1 series with RRS owner hanging off the thing!! RRS claims they underrate their tripods but they so far haven't played into the "lets make up a number" game.

Video: http://reallyrightstuff.com/WebsiteInfo.aspx?fc=162
And I realize this doesn't mean anything either but funny to watch!!

Mar 26, 2012 at 02:29 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Is a Gitzo GT5531s overkill?

The load rating went up when Gitzo came out with their latest Systematic tripods that replaced the old ones. A few months ago I would belive. Maybe around the New Year.
Both RRS and Gitzo are stable enough and I don't care much about the load rating at all

Mar 29, 2012 at 06:30 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password