Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · RAW conversion, LR vs PSE or ?

Jeff Nolten
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · RAW conversion, LR vs PSE or ?

I've recently purchased a G1X camera which means I need to upgrade my Photoshop Elements to get the latest ACR 6.7 when it becomes available. However, since I've been working with raw files from my 7D, having a high end raw converter is much more important. I often spend more time in raw conversion than with the final processing. Photoshop Elements has given me everything I need in this regard.

So is the raw converter processing much better in LightRoom? Can I accurately correct lens artifacts such as the barrel distortion or vignetting at the wide end of the 24-105? PSE can reduce vignetting but not very accurately. I assume ACR for LR has lens data to help with this. Correct?

I've read the LR sales literature and they seem to emphasize the file organization and photo book capabilities which I don't need, but little is available comparing the raw converter features of the three Adobe products. PSCS is too rich for me but will I see enough improvement to upgrade to LightRoom? I'm also open to other suggestions but I'm used to using PSE's ACR. Thanks for your help.

Edited on Mar 22, 2012 at 04:44 PM · View previous versions

Mar 22, 2012 at 04:40 PM
marcy45
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · RAW conversion, LR vs PSE or ?

Since you are have a canon - I would suggest that you use the DPP that comes on the Disc with your camera - IMHO it is a far better Raw processor than Elements -

Mar 22, 2012 at 04:43 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #3 · RAW conversion, LR vs PSE or ?

marcy45 wrote:
Since you are have a canon - I would suggest that you use the DPP that comes on the Disc with your camera - IMHO it is a far better Raw processor than Elements -

Thanks, I've been working with it for the G1X for now and the DLO capabilities in the future release look good for my DSLRs. So I'll keep it in mind.

Mar 22, 2012 at 04:46 PM
Cicopo
• • •
p.1 #4 · RAW conversion, LR vs PSE or ?

Jeff, I'm assuming the camera came with the right software for processing it's RAW files but with my G9 you used Zoombrowser not DPP for that. Maybe that's been changed but it's worth verifying. Zoombrowser's controls were very limited re the conversion when compared to Adobe's converter which I use for my G9. I'm hoping Elements 10 will receive a good version of ACR for both the G1X & the 5D3, but that may be wishful thinking.

Mar 22, 2012 at 05:17 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #5 · RAW conversion, LR vs PSE or ?

The G1X comes with DPP which obviously handles this and older G series. DPP seems a bit limited to me in terms of being a complete image finishing tool. I'm using it now as an separate processing step. PSE 10 should take ACR 6.7 once its released but you'll probably have to wait for ACR 6.8 for the 5D3 since 6.7 is already out in a beta release. If that comes before Adobe releases PSE 11 you are probably Ok, but Adobe is not very nice about back support. PSE 9 takes ACR 6.5 but you gotta buy new to get past that. I've used DNG converter 6.7 to make files that PSE 9 will take, but the colors are wonky except with the Adobe Camera Standard, landscape looks really weird.

I don't know how Lightroom handles things. I assume it can take new ACR releases but their literature treats Lightroom as some all-in-one conglomeration that organizes your files by Geocache and then helps you create PDF photo albums. It has some vague Develop module. From comments on these fora I think real photographers use Lightroom and talk of its raw conversion capabilities but from what I can see its an expensive iPhoto that wants to hide all my image files away in some proprietary database. Advertising literature and product reviews are too high level to be of much use.

I'm hoping for some experienced users to share their insights into what Lightroom brings to raw conversion for sensors like my 7D (the G1X is probably quite similar). I'm trying to decide if I can live with Elements' crippled raw converter or I need Lightroom's raw capabilities. Life with 5D files is much easier. Thanks.

Mar 22, 2012 at 06:29 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #6 · RAW conversion, LR vs PSE or ?

No one uses Lightroom?

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Greg M
• • • •
p.1 #7 · RAW conversion, LR vs PSE or ?

Does anyone use Capture One anymore?

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:46 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · RAW conversion, LR vs PSE or ?

I think it is only a matter of time before DPP has DLO (the new Digital Lens Optimization).

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · RAW conversion, LR vs PSE or ?

Jeff Nolten wrote:
No one uses Lightroom?

I use LR and have just upgraded to LR4. PSE has a limited functionality version of the RAW converter in LR and ACR. I don't know if it produces the same results, but I found it too limited for my liking. LR and ACR use a database of lenses to allow for distortion, vignetting and CA removal. It won't be as god as Canon's own database but I find it works quite well and does a good job with vignetting. I use it a lot to fix barrel distortion on the 24-105L. LR4 does a great job with NR and detail extraction and the process 2012 offers a lot of enhanced functionality and improved results over 2010 process. DxO's RAW converter probably has a more comprehensive database as you download profiles according to camera. latest version seems very good too, but of course you'd need to wait for update to support newest cameras like G1X.

The one thing that seems good about the new DPP is the DLO functionality, so I may have to use both programs in the future.

Mar 23, 2012 at 01:05 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #10 · RAW conversion, LR vs PSE or ?

Thanks Pixel, this is the kind of info I'm looking for. I think DxO just released an update that supports the G1X, they'd tested it fairly recently. Is their converter better than LR?

By "the RAW converter in LR and ACR" you mean LR and PS CS5 ACR? It sounds like LR is your primary PP software. When a new version of ACR comes out, like ACR 6.7, how do you update LR?

It is probably time I went up a step. PSE does all the shadow/highlight and sharpening I need (not much) but the raw conversion and lens corrections in LR would be important. Possible DLO/DPP improvements not withstanding.

Mar 23, 2012 at 01:55 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · RAW conversion, LR vs PSE or ?

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Thanks Pixel, this is the kind of info I'm looking for. I think DxO just released an update that supports the G1X, they'd tested it fairly recently. Is their converter better than LR?

By "the RAW converter in LR and ACR" you mean LR and PS CS5 ACR? It sounds like LR is your primary PP software. When a new version of ACR comes out, like ACR 6.7, how do you update LR?

It is probably time I went up a step. PSE does all the shadow/highlight and sharpening I need (not much) but the raw conversion and lens corrections
...Show more

I hope to do a comparison of LR4 and DxO 7 soon to see how it compares but with some quick tests it produced nice results with it auto image optimiser. Haven't compared NR or detail yet.

Mar 23, 2012 at 06:05 AM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #12 · RAW conversion, LR vs PSE or ?

Greg M wrote:
Does anyone use Capture One anymore?

I bought and used CO6 Pro for a while but prefer the workflow of LR. Then I also bought a Colorchecker Passport. Since I have found no reason not to use LR.

Mar 23, 2012 at 08:39 AM
cheem
• •
p.1 #13 · RAW conversion, LR vs PSE or ?

I use LR3 however it does not recognize 5D3 files. I needed to go to the Photoshop camera raw page and download the free 6.7RC DNG converter that supports 5D3 files as the current 6.6 version does not support them.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/cameraraw6-7.html

I run them through the converter and then import into LR3 and it seems to work fine although I don't tend to use camera profiles in LR. The lens correction seems to work well and the exif data indicates the shots are taken with a 5D3.

BTW, I am stuck with LR3 for the time being as I need to continue to run WinXP (32bit) due to a legacy app and I don't want to build an adajent box for now.

Mar 23, 2012 at 10:59 AM
tr1957
• •
p.1 #14 · RAW conversion, LR vs PSE or ?

Jeff Nolten wrote:
By "the RAW converter in LR and ACR" you mean LR and PS CS5 ACR?

PSE uses a dumbed down version of ACR. One specific example is that the ACR lens correction features found in CS5's ACR are missing from PSE9's ACR. This is a feature that is not well documented in the PSE documentation. Just another example of how consumer unfriendly Adobe is (like their forcing you to update CS versions just to get ACR to recognize your new camera, even though ACR and CS are essentially separate programs).

Mar 23, 2012 at 09:30 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.1 #15 · RAW conversion, LR vs PSE or ?

Thanks TR. I knew PSE was dumbed down. I think there are a couple of noise sliders missing as well. My question is does LR have these missing features? I take Pixel Perfect's post to say that it does. Anyway, I see that one can download a 30 day demo, so as soon as I get back from my next trip I'll try it with that set of photos.

Please feel free to add comments on which PP software you folks prefer for Canon bodies (i.e. 7D) and lenses and why. I appreciate the help.

Mar 23, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Gary Petersen
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · RAW conversion, LR vs PSE or ?

Hard to beat LR 4 at the price it sells for now. RAW conversion is top notch.

Mar 24, 2012 at 06:51 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password