Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Triggering monos with speedlights

nolaguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Triggering monos with speedlights

Normally I shoot in studio with monolights or on location with ambient and/or speedlight fill single portrait to family. Im tackling a larger group/space (recording session mentioned in another thread) and for some shots, may want to control the light rather than shoot ambient. Not sure how many light sources I may need so am considering bringing all available gear.

I use Elinchrom in the studio triggered by Skyports and am thinking if a combination of speedlights and monos, Id manage the speedlights with an SU800 and trigger the monos via the optical slave which Ive never done before.

In your experience, how consistently will speedlights optically trigger moonlights specifically SB910/700s and Elinchrom 600RXs?

Any other tips?

Thanks in advance

Edited on Mar 23, 2012 at 02:26 AM · View previous versions

Mar 22, 2012 at 01:48 PM
_Rob_S_
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Triggering monos with speedlights

I can only speak to Canon flashes and Alien Bees lights, but it certainly should work. On my setup, I have to make sure the speedlight is in manual mode. In ETTL there is a pre-flash that will trigger the optical sensors before the shutter is open. Can be very frustrating until you realize what is happening as it appears the lights are going off normally.

Rob

Mar 22, 2012 at 01:55 PM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Triggering monos with speedlights

The caution about the pre trigger communication also applies if you have any remote speedlights that are being communicated to via optical messages. Even if you are controling the remote speedlights to set fixed flash power levels, the master speedlight will send out pre flashes, and they will very likely trigger the monolights early.

You could consider getting small optical triggers to use with each speedlight, and then use the Skyport system as your main trigger like you are used to. The speedlights should then be triggered by the strong flash of the monolights. You will not have any remote power setting of the speedlights, but setting them manually at the unit should still work fine and be practical for most shooting.

Mar 22, 2012 at 03:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

onetrack
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Triggering monos with speedlights

Does Elinchrom have a stand-alone receiver that you can connect to a speedlight?

I'd go RF outdoors.

Mar 22, 2012 at 04:52 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Triggering monos with speedlights

onetrack wrote:
Does Elinchrom have a stand-alone receiver that you can connect to a speedlight?

Yes, the Skyport Universal Receiver. It's been discontinued, but they are still available from some sources.

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:37 AM
nolaguy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Triggering monos with speedlights

Thanks all, very much for taking the time and your input. Much appreciated.

Off to shoot rock stars.

Mar 23, 2012 at 02:28 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password