Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Sunwayfoto ball head review

aboudd
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Sunwayfoto ball head review

Sunwayfoto is a new entry into the Arca-Swiss ball head compatible category. See my full review on www.everything-foto.blogspot.com

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Sunwayfoto ball head review

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1092631

And they have the same price as RRS and Arca Swiss also

Mar 23, 2012 at 04:13 AM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #3 · Sunwayfoto ball head review

Actually they don't here in the USA. The DB36 is about 70 dollars cheaper than the equivalent RRS. That said, I am not suggesting that the quality or build is equal to or superior to either brand, although the Arca-Swiss has a terrible lever on it. I do not endorse any brand, I just report my opinion based on actual use.

Mar 23, 2012 at 09:36 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Sunwayfoto ball head review

Thanks for your review.
I looked at the thread posted before, that sunwayfoto started her. The cost of their two new heads are:
XB-44 $ 330
XB-52 $ 410

That's nearly as much as RRS. And a little bit more than Arca-Swiss, Markins or Kirk

Mar 24, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

aboudd
• • •
p.1 #5 · Sunwayfoto ball head review

I guess it comes down to which head best suits one's needs. I bought the Sunwayfoto DB36 for travel use wanting something strong enough to hold the S2 if needed.

This little ball head with the dual clamp is 30% cheaper than the RRS version (which normally would not affect my purchase), it is rated at 40 pounds vs. RRS 15 lbs. and has the two notch configuration which I find prefer. I always found the one notch on the RRS frustrating. I took the Sunwayfoto DB36 in the field mounted on a Gitzo tripod a couple of days ago and shot the Leica S2 with the 120 lens and it was remarkably stable, even when the camera was side positioned for a vertical shot. I would normally avoid this position by using the RRS L plate on the S2, but I wanted to test the holding power of the head - and I had a tether on the camera just is case. Would I use it with this heavy set up on a daily basis, unlikely, I would use one of my heavier gear heads instead.

The remaining question will be the long term viability of the head. As I intend to use it with the S2 only for occasional travel I won't be putting enough hours on it to make that assessment. I'll use it as well with the Lumix GH2 but that is hardly a stretch for any head.

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Sunwayfoto ball head review

It also comes down to if you like to support and give your money to a company that without permission steal photo's from FM photographer's. And use them on their website and other places without permission.
I would not buy a ballhead from Sunwayfoto even if it only cost $ 10.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1098631/0

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM
aboudd
• • •
p.1 #7 · Sunwayfoto ball head review

I was not at all aware of that! Had I known this earlier I would certainly have not made a purchase from Sunwayfoto.

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:36 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password