Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Opinions needed: Licensing my photos out to a poster site!!!

luke0622
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Opinions needed: Licensing my photos out to a poster site!!!

Opinions needed:

Here is whats going on,

website wallstars.tv has sent in 2 of my photos for approval for commercial use (posts...), one has been approved, and most likely the second one will be approved soon as well...

My question is: what would be the compensation I should ask for every single photo? I know it depends on the market location... the site is mainly selling Iowa State Cyclones and Iowa Hawkeyes posters, somewhat similar to fathead site...

I want to thank y'all for all the inputs...

Really Appreciate it

Luke

Mar 22, 2012 at 02:22 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Opinions needed: Licensing my photos out to a poster site!!!

Luke,
Relevant to your question (and the answer) are:

1. How did the website wallstars.tv get your photos to send? Specifically, what was the nature of the arrangement by which you took the photos and they ended up in the possession of the website?
2. Who owns the rights to the photos and do you have this in writing?
3. Who's seeking approval and who's granting approval and what does each party understand about rights associated with these images?
4. Do you have permission from the universities to use the images in this way? (again, this is something you'd want to have in writing, and this should cover not only use of images of athletes if appropriate, but also trademarks, copyrighted symbols/landmarks/etc.)

Mar 22, 2012 at 06:08 AM
luke0622
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Opinions needed: Licensing my photos out to a poster site!!!

Hi Russ,
here is my answers to your questions, hopefully it's enough:

1. They have the very small JPEG file I sent to him, I was working with a fan site and I was approached by the site...
2. thats my question going to be, shall I completely sign over my copyright to that site if everything is completely approved by the university?
3. The Site seeks for approval from the university, there is a department for licensing, trademarks and copyright symbols/landmarks/etc. The University gets 15% of the sale quarterly from the site (that's the agreement between the university and the site), they have been working together before.
4. The University does not allow anything associated with the athletes to be licensed out, the shots I did were inside of the Hilton Coliseum, the student athletes are not allowed to be in the photos of any.

Mar 22, 2012 at 06:54 AM
drbob
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Opinions needed: Licensing my photos out to a poster site!!!

Who's going to buy poster images of the inside of Hilton Coloseum if there are no athletes in them? Or am I missing something?

bb

Mar 22, 2012 at 01:43 PM
cocodrillo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Opinions needed: Licensing my photos out to a poster site!!!

For your second question, unless they are giving you a boat load of cash, I wouldn't be signing over the rights to them. Negotiate a usage specific agreement or a time-limited exclusivity if that is what they need, but keep the copyright. You could, for example, negotiate a rate for a five year exclusive poster production right, which still lets you sell on the images for editorial. Like Russ pointed out, make sure the liability and copyright/trademark/permissions issues are crystal clear.

In terms of pricing, you could probably do a dummy run through Getty Images or another stock agency to get a sense of what the market is at for pricing for a particular type of usage and then adjust it to fit your underlying cost base or the uniqueness of the image.

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:47 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password