Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              9      
       11       12       13       end

Archive 2012 · Ricoh GXR images

kosmoskatten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.10 #1 · p.10 #1 · Ricoh GXR images

Michael: yes, FF M mount and GXR II would be awesome. I dream a little smaller in order to be pleasantly surprised if that would ever happen. Pipe dreaming and speculation is always fun though with Ricoh it has been a tedious pastime considering the lack of info.

Artur5: yes, but even though a K-mount would seem like a low priority Ricoh has a history with the K-mount from back in the days and since the merger a "bridge product" might make a little sense. All speculation of course and I was mainly considering the patents "revealed" that suggests two lenses and not necessarily in the shape of modules. I personally think a K-mount (unless full frame) or an APS-C 35/2.5 is not appealing to me.

uscmatt99: I had the GR1s and V and the GRDI and II and IV - the last one very briefly as I have the A12/28 and thought I could skip on the smaller sensor camera. The GR series are excellent cameras and IF the APS-C (or larger) GRD V is happening I will not even blink before ordering one.

There has also been talk of a B&W "niche" camera from Ricoh and though that might appeal to some I think I would not personally find the concept interesting.
If I had any input I'd make damn sure that the wish list that seems universally accepted by me, myself and I
would be fulfilled first:

GXR II + EVF III
FF module, preferrably M OR "open" FF module with adapters.
GRD V FF (at leastAPS-C)
A16 21/f 2.5/3.5 (equiv) module
A16 40/1.4 to f2 (equiv) module sans AA filter
A16 35/2 (equiv) module
perhaps
A16 28/2.5 refresh
A16 macro 50/2.5 refresh

Feb 09, 2013 at 01:16 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.10 #2 · p.10 #2 · Ricoh GXR images

PS

The NEX6 looks pretty darn nice considering the Zeiss lenses that are scheduled for release this year.

Feb 09, 2013 at 01:55 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.10 #3 · p.10 #3 · Ricoh GXR images

I like your list - if Ricoh were to pick and choose from that list chances are I'd be interested in some items.

Meanwhile I still think about Sony off and on. The NEX-6 looks like the camera many of us alt-lens folks wished the NEX-7 would prove to be; keeping decent RF lens performance and providing some new excellent native glass certainly makes it one to watch. Maybe Sony-Zeiss will put the same magic sauce they found for the RX1 into some of these new E mount lenses.

Feb 09, 2013 at 07:58 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.10 #4 · p.10 #4 · Ricoh GXR images

Nice list Henrik! Funny, but I think what appeals the most to me from your list would be an APS-C GRD. FF would be very cool, but I have my doubts they'd keep it similar in size to the RX1. And I'd rather see FF applied to a RF lens compatible GXR module. So, a compact APS-C with a decently fast, very sharp, wide lens (good for cropping, a la digital zoom) would be great. Hopefully it would also keep the price reasonable, since such a camera would probably serve a secondary grab n' go purpose, rather than as a main camera, for many.

And i agree about the NEX-6. I had a look at one the other day and it appears Sony have finally addressed one of my peeves about the NEX UI. It looks like one can reassign the AE-L button to a number of uses, including manual focus assist (i.e. zooming), which places this critical function (if using adapted lenses) in a much more thumb-friendly shooting location. I've recently been using a borrowed NEX-7 and it's a major UI pain the butt trying to reach the lowest function button in order to zoom in for critical focus (the focus peaking, IMO, is unreliable for critical use).

As an aside, unfortunately I find the NEX-7 a more complementary camera to my Leica system than the GXR. The massive pixel density of the 7, coupled with my longer RF lenses, gives me much more reach for those times when I'm focal length limited with the M9. While the GXR M module has higher pixel density than the M9 cropped to APS-C, it's not a big difference. For me, the GXR's benefit is that it's a great overall camera to use with any of my RF lenses, especially wides, as a 'system' back-up to the M9, or for use on its own. But, I have to admit I'm somewhat let down by having 'only' 12MP to work with. This is more so the case when working with wide angle lenses and high detail scenes, where fine details tend to quickly take on a jaggedy-edged quality. In the recent RF 21mm lens shootout I did, I did a smaller subset comparison with the GXR and NEX-7. Take those NEX-7 files and down-rez them to 12MP and they're really impressive. Zero jaggedy edges. And with a touch of sharpening, extremely highly detailed.

As Michael points out, it could be that the NEX-6 is the best NEX compromise for use with wider RF lenses. It's good enough for edge quality, while gaining the integrated EVF and improves on some UI over the 7. And to my eyes, the EVF looks a bit better than in the 7 too. It feels slightly bigger.

For my purposes the debate would be whether the UI improvement of the 6 offsets the 7's higher pixel density, for my uses alongside the M9.

Matt: nice car! I thought domestics were mandatory ownership in Michigan? Seems it's about all I see when cutting through the state on road trips.

Feb 10, 2013 at 04:59 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.10 #5 · p.10 #5 · Ricoh GXR images

Matt: Michigan, isn't that Subaru country? (I drive an XT Forester...)

Ron: yes, I think a GRD V with APS-C would be just the ticket.

I also agree that the M module is a bit limited with high detail wide angle landscapes, as is the A12/28mm. Comparing with the Sigma DP1M (poor handling and even more sluggish than Ricoh) the files from Sigma are unfortunately "that" much better when comparing the A12/28 to the DP1M. For close work the A12/28 is very good.

The M mount works really well for other subject types and I find that macro with the Contax 60mm is a breeze with the M mount. The M mount is a good backup. Unfortunately it is also my main camera so I am hoping for another solution soon enough.

I am thinking NEX6 with Zeiss lenses for a smallish outfit but I will hold out until the Zeiss lenses are released and see if Ricoh will release anything to my liking in the mean time. I feel an obligation to have a foot - or toe - in the Ricoh camp.

Feb 10, 2013 at 08:56 AM
uscmatt99
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #6 · p.10 #6 · Ricoh GXR images

Ron, great discussion on the NEX-6/7 vs. the GXR. More of today's pixels are almost always better than less.

My wife and I were going through pics from the last couple years to choose some photos to print big for her laundry room. Who wouldn't want to think of Paris while folding t-shirts Anyway, making the unfair comparison of my D600 and ZF.2 35/1.4 images to my GXR and ZM/CV glass images, both at f/5.6, the limitations of the GXR become more clear. Along with tons of pixel-level detail, there is a lot of artifact to deal with in the GXR files. In addition to jaggy edges, the color artifacts and maze artifacts are impossible to correct and can be tough to hide. One image from the top of St. Peter's basilica in particular, where we were treated with awesome light, has tons of little areas of multicolored maze artifact. I appreciate that I can shoot the CV15 and ZM25 with no edge discoloration, but I have to stop them down to f/11 or f/16 such that diffraction gets rid of the artifacts. I think that's why I've been favoring the CV 35/1.2 as of late. The rendering is great, and I don't run into as much artifact. It's also so easy to nail focus wide-open with that lens on the GXR. The D600 also gets some artifact with the Zeiss at f/5.6, but it is a much rarer occurrence, and the overall detail and blow-up-ability is better as would be expected.

I have preliminary wife clearance on the NEX-6, so I think I'll give it a shot. I'll probably get one of Jim Buchanan's L-brackets, and one of those helicoid adapters. I'll miss predator mode and the reliability of a hard-stop infinity, but hope it will be worth it for the little bit of extra resolution and decreased artifacts. Who knows, an ideal kit may be a NEX-7 for 35mm and longer glass, and a NEX-6 for the wider glass. At least until I can get that new M, or the rumored Zeiss AF lenses get released

Regarding the Audi, there are a fair amount of European and Japanese vehicles in my neck of the woods in addition to the innumerable domestics, but I am one of the rare birds with an AWD vehicle that's not a behemoth SUV, let alone a red sporty looking model. We live in a suburb that gets a lot of lake-effect snow, and my FWD Honda was murder to drive. The Quattro is awesome, and allows even a rookie like me to drift around corners without fear of spinning out

Feb 11, 2013 at 01:33 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.10 #7 · p.10 #7 · Ricoh GXR images

I am also a rookie drifter in my souped up Forester XT. It is very predictable when it comes to driving in snow so I actually look way cooler/better than I am.

I think that there may be a consensus on the M mount and wide angle lenses and the trade off and my conclusion is that 12MP is not enough for very detailed long range wide angle shots.

For more character lenses and other subject types the GXR is excellent but wide vistas (which I like) would require stitching = hold no apparent advantage over other cameras, or simply a better sensor to accommodate for wide angle high resolution shots.

Feb 11, 2013 at 06:21 PM
GXR Lover

p.10 #8 · p.10 #8 · Ricoh GXR images

Hi there.
My name is Rainer and I m the new one. :-)
My user name shows whats the way I feel...

This is my dream team:

:-)

Feb 11, 2013 at 10:08 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.10 #9 · p.10 #9 · Ricoh GXR images

Hello Rainer, welcome to this cozy little corner of the world. I hope you enjoy your GXR and bless this forum with many images.

Feb 12, 2013 at 05:39 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.10 #10 · p.10 #10 · Ricoh GXR images

kosmoskatten wrote:
I think that there may be a consensus on the M mount and wide angle lenses and the trade off and my conclusion is that 12MP is not enough for very detailed long range wide angle shots.

That's a good and diplomatic comment. I'd add that the GXR/M offers little tolerance for cropping when an unfortunate and unavoidable foreground tarnishes an otherwise lovely distant vista.

It's not all doom and gloom to be sure but could be/should be better here in 2013.

Feb 12, 2013 at 06:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • • •
p.10 #11 · p.10 #11 · Ricoh GXR images

Welcome Rainer! I'm also looking forward to your photos! I once spent a very enjoyable summer in Münster.

Feb 12, 2013 at 07:28 AM
GXR Lover

p.10 #12 · p.10 #12 · Ricoh GXR images

Thanks for your warm welcome.

A few more pics:

@rscheffler
Nice to hear you like your time in Münster.
I once (1988, long time ago) spend a few weeks in Canada. But I hadnt seen much in Goose Bay... :-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CFB_Goose_Bay

Feb 12, 2013 at 07:45 AM
uscmatt99
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.10 #13 · p.10 #13 · Ricoh GXR images

Rainer,
Welcome to the thread, and great posts so far! I really like the fence and leaf images. By the way, the CV 15/4.5 and 35/1.2 are two of my most used lenses these days.

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a NEX-6 which should arrive tomorrow. I got a cheap adapter for the M-glass until I decide on which eBay helicoid adapter I want to try. I'm looking forward to trying to shoot video, which I never do, in preparation for welcoming our second son into the world. As my first kid has grown, I've come to realize the errors of my ways in only capturing stills. Some of the most fun media to look at are the crappy videos my wife has taken on her iPhone. Hopefully now we'll have better quality snippets to embarrass our kids with when they grow up It will also be interesting to compare the output from each camera, and finally have 2 bodies to shoot tiny glass with.

Feb 12, 2013 at 01:02 PM
GXR Lover

p.10 #14 · p.10 #14 · Ricoh GXR images

uscmatt99 wrote:

It will also be interesting to compare the output from each camera....

First, thanks for your warm words. :-)

Than, it will be very interesting to hear your meanings about the Nex6.
I touched the camera a few times in the camera shop and Im not shure what to think about. The viewfinder is better as our GXR EVF but in a way I cannot describe it feels to my eye in a very "plastic" way.
Look forward to see your pics.

Feb 12, 2013 at 04:52 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.10 #15 · p.10 #15 · Ricoh GXR images

Catching up on reading items I've missed - Ron, that was a very informative review you did of 21mm M mount lenses last month. Thanks for taking the time!

http://www.ronscheffler.com/techtalk/?page_id=130

Feb 14, 2013 at 05:15 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.10 #16 · p.10 #16 · Ricoh GXR images

Henry's (Canadian retailer) is blowing out Ricoh GXR bodies and camera units. Blowing out.

http://www.henrys.com/search/gxr.aspx

Does anyone have experience with the A16 24-85 zoom camera unit? For $250 I might consider picking one up for the family to use.

One other dealer I've worked with (in the U.S.) that used to carry a decent amount of Ricoh product now has next to nothing. Either a new GXR or related camera is about to launch or it's the end of the line. I've a hard time believing in the positive story due to the utter (but apparently typical) silence out of Ricoh.

Mar 07, 2013 at 07:41 PM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.10 #17 · p.10 #17 · Ricoh GXR images

I am hoping there is a successor to GXR/M. There is no reason why they don't announce it if they are discontinuing the line, consider the recent announcement of K01. Which makes me hope that this is a new-product-coming fire sale rather than an end-of-the-world fire sale.

Mar 07, 2013 at 07:48 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.10 #18 · p.10 #18 · Ricoh GXR images

I hope the GXR/M wasn't a one-off either, but if it was, eventually someone will make a small, full frame, compact camera with a decent line of primes. Other than Leica.

In the meantime I'm going to pass on the A16 zoom module, it looks too ungainly. What I'd like to find is an inexpensive 25mm or 28mm M lens or adapted LTM lens to leave on the camera all the time. It might be a training camera for one of my kids very soon now, and mine from time to time too, ok, mostly, of course.

Mar 07, 2013 at 09:30 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.10 #19 · p.10 #19 · Ricoh GXR images

Wow, those are crazy cheap prices. I was just checking B&H's prices the other day and thought those their GXR prices were already pretty good compared to what the body & M mount cost new back at the end of 2011. It's almost tempting to get another one just as a spare for that uneasy feeling this might actually be the end of the line for the system.

Mar 08, 2013 at 04:12 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.10 #20 · p.10 #20 · Ricoh GXR images

I'm tempted to get a new body and put a screen protector on it right away! What a pain that flaky coating is.

Does anyone have ideas for a cheap but decent (could be and old Russian lens, or?) 25 or 28mm or even a 35mm M or LTM lens? One of my kids shows some interest and is taking a photography course in high school next year. Maybe I'll let him run with the camera all summer with a fixed focal length manual lens so he can learn old school.

Or maybe he should just carry a P&S autofocus and 'focus' on composition.

I suppose I could a C/Y to M adapter and let him use my beater Yashica lenses.

Mar 08, 2013 at 05:59 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password