FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6              13       14       end

Archive 2012 · Ricoh GXR images

edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Ricoh GXR images

Hi Henrik! You're always finding some nice glass (and for attractive prices I'm sure).

The GXR is my only camera at the moment and she will have to fulfill her duties for the next 6 to 9 months until I manage to get one of those M10

Sep 04, 2012 at 11:45 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Ricoh GXR images

Ed: you mean just about when I decide to make a "surprise visit" to BeeKayKay?

Sep 04, 2012 at 01:03 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Ricoh GXR images

kosmoskatten wrote:
Ed: you mean just about when I decide to make a "surprise visit" to BeeKayKay?

That would be an incredible coincidence Always good to have you here

It was raining today in Bangkok: ZM 35/2 wide open

Biogon 35/2

Sep 05, 2012 at 05:06 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Ricoh GXR images

Nice one Ed.

/ H

Sep 05, 2012 at 03:43 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Ricoh GXR images

kosmoskatten wrote:
Nice one Ed.

/ H

+1 Love the color

Sep 05, 2012 at 05:12 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Ricoh GXR images

Henrik, Zhangyue, thank you!

Sep 05, 2012 at 11:11 PM
ocean2059
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Ricoh GXR images

Here are two taken with GXR and 50/2.5 lens module.

Sep 15, 2012 at 02:57 PM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Ricoh GXR images

Nice to see this thread revitalised. Good to see you joined in Edward! Like your window with drops.

Here are some from my recent trip to NW Spain.
Michiel

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/2/0/8/2/spafa1.jpg
This is the way they insolate houses after demolishing.

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/2/0/8/2/pyrineeen3.jpg
On th French/Spain border at 2300 meters in the Pyrenees

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/2/0/8/2/leon4.jpg
Mountains noth from Lugo.

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:36 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Ricoh GXR images

Wow, Michiel! All three are amazing! Thanks for your comments btw

Sep 16, 2012 at 11:49 AM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Ricoh GXR images

Thank you Edward!

Some portraits, all with the Jupiter-8 50/2. Nice lens for portraits, if you like the unrestfull bokeh. I do.

Michiel

Sep 17, 2012 at 03:10 PM
Seth Lord
• •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Ricoh GXR images

Gentlemen - I don't know what it is, the lenses, the sensor or the talent - but these examples of what the Ricoh can do are enchanting. They seem so 'real'; the textures and colours are so right, clear but not too sharp and edgy with contrast. And that must be something to do with the sensor (I'm speaking of the M module) because I see it in examples from all of you.

Please keep them coming. If Ricoh does not upgrade the sensor it really does not matter. This thing will become a classic. I am teetering on the edge of overcoming my worry about the crop factor and just 'doing it' so that I can see my beloved Leica glass produce its stuff here and now, without all the work with the negative film &slides from the M4 and IIIf.

Seth

Sep 18, 2012 at 06:30 AM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Ricoh GXR images

Seth Lord wrote:
Gentlemen - I don't know what it is, the lenses, the sensor or the talent - but these examples of what the Ricoh can do are enchanting. They seem so 'real'; the textures and colours are so right, clear but not too sharp and edgy with contrast. And that must be something to do with the sensor (I'm speaking of the M module) because I see it in examples from all of you.

Please keep them coming. If Ricoh does not upgrade the sensor it really does not matter. This thing will become a classic. I am teetering on the
...Show more

Just wait a few days for Photokina and we know for sure if there is an updated camera or/and Leica M module.
But anyhow I still like the way the tweaked Sony sensor draws with all those fine lenses. The images from it have the right sparkle and sharpness. It remains a very good economical alternative for Leica glass.
I prefer the feel and sturdiness of the body above my NEX-7, for the rest the camera housing could use an update in many ways.
They could be king in my view with an update body with articulated LCD, build in viewfinder and a new FF Leica M 24 mp module. It seems to be difficult to produce such a camera.

Michiel

Sep 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Ricoh GXR images

I have to stop reading about other products and just keep shooting my GXR. It remains a fine system and does justice to my lenses.

That said I can't help but wish they'd break out of their cone of silence and at least hint at where they are going with the GXR and M Mount module. As of this point in time, there are no news releases or press reports on Ricoh or Pentax that disclose anything that isn't already known. In the case of Pentax that's a few new developments, in the case of Ricoh (including GXR) there doesn't seem to be any news since March 2012.

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:12 PM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Ricoh GXR images

Yesterday I took a trip to the Photokina. What a crowd and huge display of gear
Touched the Leica M with handgrip. Feels nice and rather big, but you will need it once you put on those Leica R lenses. I tryed the focus peaking which was in red and I found it quiet good and better then on NEX for straight lines, because you get beautifull in focus red outlines. As I red in Algrove's report it does not work that great for people. I did not check that.
It works great for architecture. The EF viewfinder itself is in no way as good as teh NEX-7 viewfinder, although a little better as the attached EVF on my Ricoh.
It was not a booth anymore but a whole hall for themselves included a real good exhibition of great photographers.

The Hasselblad booth was all over that new Lunar, which is even a bigger joke in reality. They come in countless versions. It is all about a sort of almost folkloristic craftsmenship in which they put the latests electronics. It is a big mistake, I think. The whole booth was for a great deal in the light of their grand history, besides their great prof cameras. But also a non prof posh atmoshere with a black Ferrari in the middle.
Hope some sane guy takes over the handles soon.

In contradiction to those big players was the small booth of Voigtländer but to my surprise they showed the new (to me) 21mm 1.8 Ultron in M mount. Very well made lens. Could be a good alternative for a fast 21
It is rather big and it has an integrated hood. In line with their non consistant hood politics. At least you don't have to pay extra for a seperate hood.
I screwed it on my RIcoh GXR and took a few shots.
The affiche shot is not sharp and was my hectic attempt to check the distortion.

The last picture is from the even smaller SLRMagic booth. Very nice people and they let me try the SLR Magic Hyperprime 50/0.95. Almost to well aperture damping (no clicks) for videographers. Feels very solid but it is a lens you have to spend more time with to get good shots.
Also tryed the new 35/1.4 on their NEX. Could be a good alternative pricewise.

Samsung booth was huge as well. You can see they are doing well companywise, breakdancers and models - BTW lots of booths with models - all day to shoot.

Michiel

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/2/0/8/2/nieuwelens1.jpg

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/2/0/8/2/nieuwelens2.jpg

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/2/0/8/2/nieuwelens3.jpg

http://forum.getdpi.com/gallery/files/2/0/8/2/nieuwelens4.jpg

Sep 21, 2012 at 07:58 AM
aleksanderpolo
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Ricoh GXR images

Thank you for your report. The CV 21 is interesting, is it as big as the 35/1.2?

Sep 21, 2012 at 09:12 AM
sculptormic
• • • •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Ricoh GXR images

I think it is by a margin bigger as the 35/1.2 but smaller then the Leica lux 21/1.4 according to Tom Abrahamsson at RF.

Sep 21, 2012 at 09:33 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Ricoh GXR images

michaelwatkins wrote:
I have to stop reading about other products and just keep shooting my GXR. It remains a fine system and does justice to my lenses.

That said I can't help but wish they'd break out of their cone of silence and at least hint at where they are going with the GXR and M Mount module. As of this point in time, there are no news releases or press reports on Ricoh or Pentax that disclose anything that isn't already known. In the case of Pentax that's a few new developments, in the case of Ricoh (including GXR) there doesn't seem
...Show more

That's what I do.

I was a little let down by the sluggishness of the GXR buffer when I did a small informal job the other day. But, the result is pleasing as always. I still think it is, as a whole, the best laid out mirrorless camera for my needs.

I had hopes for something being foretold at Photokina, or even better, launched, but I kind of knew already that it would be a side step from their MO.

Ricoh has a history of not launching products at Photokina and usually the news come just a month or two prior to launch and they pop up from "nowhere". Ricoh has had a few products released just around time for Christmas.

I think that if they simply had cancelled the GXR system we would have known that by now, that would have been official. There is no need for silence if the decision is made already. A simple statement would suffice - and I think we would have seen it by now. Considering the rearrangement of Pentax/Ricoh and the potential synergy delays I would think the merger has set back the whole R&D for a month or three.

I sincerely hope and think that the innovative little clique at Ricoh R&D would not just want to keel over just yet and that they are directing their efforts to at least go out with a bang.

Their silence, so far, is positive as far as in saying that no news is good news. My GXR kit is not worth enough to get rid of anyway at this moment so I can easily just hold on to it and hope for a spark of life further on.

I would of course HIGHLY appreciate at least a word from Ricoh to their quite small, and loyal, customer base simply letting us know that there IS more in store. Or not. And preferrably which decade.

Apparently GXR body prices have plummeted in Japan just recently, that can mean only two things:
1) The GXR is being scrapped.
2) The GXR is being replaced. And just in time for Christmas.

Either way, we know for sure, soon enough.

Sep 21, 2012 at 09:43 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Ricoh GXR images

Fresh from the Rumor mill.

Some German guy who had friends visiting Photokina says that the Ricoh guys had said that the GXR WILL continue. There were some rumors about an end of the year release of a new module. A bit uncertain as for the focal length of the new module which was rumored at 17mm - though not knowing if it would be effective focal length or prior to crop factor.
The A12/28 is 18.3mm so I am not sure whether this could be a slightly wider A16 module, a VERY wide effective 17mm or a MFT "fast" lens module = 34mm effective focal length. I hope it isn't the latter though a fast 35 would appeal to a lot of people.

Speculation alert on the above.

One can hope and assume that it would be a natural step to introduce a GXR II body at the same time. As said, GXR bodies have dropped significantly in price in Japan. Hopefully to clear for a mkII and not just to have more people buying into the existing ones.

With the A16 in the mill I was hoping they'd chuck out a few variations momentarily.

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Ricoh GXR images

Henrik, thanks for the rumours and your thoughts on Ricoh. Recently I'd elsewhere read a very similar rumour about a new module coming out and that GXR isn't dead, but it might be the same German fellow making the rounds.

Your no news is good news evaluation makes sense, provided the no news period isn't simply because they can't figure out how to integrate the two companies and haven't come to conclusions. That's my Debby Downer comment for today.

I prefer your interpretation.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Ricoh GXR images

sculptormic wrote:
I think it is by a margin bigger as the 35/1.2 but smaller then the Leica lux 21/1.4 according to Tom Abrahamsson at RF.

Wow Michiel, thanks for posting some actual images from the new Voigtlander 21mm! This lens really surprised me, and the price seems to be extremely reasonable. As you may know, I own the 21 Lux and it might be worth getting the Voigtlander simply to compare the two, as a fast 21mm is a very useful focal length on APS-C.

Your samples indicate distortion is not too bad. I can't say off hand how it compares to the Lux, as I rarely use it on the GXR, but on FF, the Lux does have mustache-type distortion, quite strong CA and will purple fringe a lot in high contrast, backlit situations. That said, it's sharp wide open and really sharp at f/2, with quite a flat plane of focus. The only other rangefinder 21 I can compare it against is the ZM21 f/2.8, which has quite strong field curvature. Perhaps the biggest hindrance of the 21 Lux is the 70cm minimum focusing distance, so it's good to see the CV will at least do 50cm, which will be a big benefit on an EVF platform.

One thing I really like about the 21 Lux is the hood. It barely protrudes from the front of the lens, yet seems to be quite effective. It also means setting the lens down on the hood is extremely stable. The CV design adds significant length and will take up valuable bag space. But what can you do? It's a great price, and also takes common screw-in filters, whereas the Lux uses annoyingly difficult to find Series VIII filters.

If the 21's performance is near that of the 35 f/1.2, it will seriously rival the 21 Lux.

I'm also quite curious what the rumored new Zeiss ZM lens will be...

Re: future GXR development... The impression from a DPReview Pentax interview is the two companies are still in the merger process. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this has delayed GXR development for a year or so. Falling prices could simply be due to the age and market appeal of the exiting system. Without a doubt it needs a refresh. Hopefully soon.

On another tangent, it would also be cool to see them put the RX100 sensor in a GRD... while the RX1 is definitely a cool camera, it's a bit big when one considers the size of an Olympus Stylus Epic or Pentax Espio Mini, both FF compact cameras from the 90s with 35mm (though f/2.8 or f/3.5) lenses... I'd really like to see something like this from a GRD.

Sep 21, 2012 at 12:24 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.