Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              12       13       end

Archive 2012 · Ricoh GXR images

kosmoskatten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Ricoh GXR images

Michiel, Ron, Matt and all: I am glad to see new GXR images.
I hope to be a contributor soon enough, work has kept me busy so I haven't used any camera except for the X10 which is my work docu cam.

I did score a Leica M135/4 Elmarit, which is surprisingly sharp and it will give me a little more reach with the GXR. The viewfinder is a must with this lens though. I look forward to using it this summer.

I am trying really hard to enjoy the CV35/1.2 VII, but the focal length does not sit right with me. The few times I have used it the rendering is beautiful but it is my least used lens. For the most part I use the CV15 and the ZM50 and I am thinking of cutting a few lenses as I have a few overlaps and similar focal lengths. But they all have their merits so cutting a few is quite hard.

May 07, 2012 at 09:04 PM
uscmatt99
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · Ricoh GXR images

I purchased the CV35 and ZM35 because it's my favorite focal length on a "full-frame" sensor, and I will probably get a digital M or other suitable camera in the future. But I find I'm actually liking the field of view on the Ricoh even though I rarely use it on my D700. Maybe it's because my Sigma 50/1.4 never autofocuses correctly While I like the CV35 and greatly depend on the speed to keep my ISOs down and SS up, I prefer the ZM 35/2.8 from 2.8 and beyond for just about everything.

The CV15 and CV35 saw a lot of use this weekend. My wife and I took our son, almost 3 years old, to a Thomas the Train extravaganza in Troy, Michigan. Any parent of a young boy, and many parents with young girls in the US will know of this empire. Anyway, lots of special moments captured this weekend. The CV15 is awesome to just set to f/8 and 5-10 feet-- then it's frame and shoot. I'll post some once I get them processed, unless folks are getting sick of the family shots. It's all I seem to have time for these days.

May 07, 2012 at 10:13 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.3 #3 · Ricoh GXR images

Kosmokatten, please do post soon. We need some more Ricohers!

I have the Leica Elmarit (Bril) 135/2.8 I took of the viewfinders.
Works well but it is big and heavy, although the mount and the camera are solid enough to carry it.

In the 35mm range I have only the Jupiter-12 which I like for it's colours. Actually I can't really decide what serious 35 I want to have for Ricoh because I do a lot of work with the NEX-7.
Although I already have a lot of 35's for the NEX. Enough lenses may be D)

Just bought the Jupiter 50/2, 85/2 in black and a chrome 135. I have also a Komura 135/3.5.
Very old fashioned colours but nice character. These are opportunity purchases

Will be continued,
Michiel

May 07, 2012 at 11:04 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.3 #4 · Ricoh GXR images

Thanks guys, and much appreciated Matt!

Michiel, I noticed you were also posting your NEX-7 images in the NEX thread and was going to ask how you combine the use of the GXR and 7, but you answered that somewhat. You sure seem to have a huge collection of interesting lenses.

I might have access to a 7 later this week to use for a while, so am curious to give it a good try with all my M mount lenses. Based on my experience with the 5N, and from what I've read, my guess is it won't play nicely with some, but should be good with others. I would prefer to avoid using Cornerfix, so I could see a GXR & 7 combo making some sense.

Henrik, I've read good things about the Leica 135 f/4 that was the model prior to the current f/3.4 APO. Is that the one you acquired? I too have been thinking about this as a long option for the GXR, which would give it some use alongside the M9.

Here are some more from Munich back in February, this time during Fasching, which is Carnival. I spent a good part of the day just hanging around the Viktualienmarkt, where most people in costume congregate. I'm a spoil-sport and not inclined to get dressed up myself, which might actually improve my interaction with those in costume. I've been there two years in a row for this event and find some Germans quite peculiar about being photographed, seemingly wanting to be asked permission many times, and somewhat annoyed that I shoot first without asking. I find it odd, since if you're dressed up like this, in a public market area, it's quite obvious people will be there with cameras... So if you don't want attention, why get dressed in costume?

I'm pretty sure these were all with the CV12 LTM version.

Over on the 'no love for GXR' thread after this event I wrote:

I used the GXR for the first time in what I would consider a 'real' shooting environment, during the Fasching (Carnival) festivities here in Munich. The camera is nearly there for my needs, but the lock-up after each shot to clear the buffer was killing me today. Even though it's only one second or so, there were numerous situations where I would have taken a second picture within a second had the camera allowed me to do so. Instead I set it to continuous advance and would fire off 3-4 frame sequences, but then I would have to wait 6-8 seconds for the buffer and miss a whole bunch of other stuff. Obviously, it was necessary to anticipate and time shots more carefully. Sometimes this worked, other times not, which was understandable with the fluidly changing environment. Again, I loved the size of the camera, but some of the button placement was a bit too tight for easy adjustment while wearing (relatively thin) gloves. I mostly shot with the CV12, and some with the CV15, both at f/8 and used zone focus with the very deep depth of field and just guessed framing. I tried some shallow depth of field shots with the CV50 f/1.5, but it was really tough to nail precise focus when people were moving around. I still think the M's rangefinder patch is better for this, where with some practice I'm able to follow focus people walking towards me at wider apertures. For a general walk-around camera though, the GXR is excellent. For me it just needs more speed - faster buffer, no lock up to clear the buffer, immediate wake, very fast readiness for the next shot, etc. A higher rez sensor would also be nice. (sorry to beat a dead horse with these points - just hoping someone from Ricoh reads this thread and takes note of our suggestions/requests)

I did about 725 images with the GXR over the course of about 7 hours and went through 2.5 batteries, which was better than I expected, considering it was around freezing and I had the camera set to never power off, but sleep was set at one minute. It's about the same as the M9's battery use in similar situations.

BTW, the guy in the red wig with the ashtray on his head was dressed in this outfit last year:

M9 & ZM35C

More images to come...

May 08, 2012 at 12:23 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.3 #5 · Ricoh GXR images

Michiel: summer is picking up, I'll do my best to get started. Would love to see more of the olden goldies lenses. They seem to thrive on the GXR.

Matt: keep 'em coming!

Ron: it is the thinner version 135/4 Elmarit, the version before the APO. Same optical formula as the one just before the APO. As with all older Leica M glass of this era, incredibly well built and smooth in action. Very pleased to note that it is a splendid performer at all apertures, not flare prone and sharp to the edge (at APS-C, haven't tried it on M9).

I think that compared to the APO Telyt it is a hair less sharp and has lower contrast. It is better than expected. Haven't handled the fat version but according to Kay Rock I made the right move.

Third from top. I would not mind the 135/4 fat version, but it is scarce it seems. An heavier, but still light.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/lens-reviews.htm#135

Btw; I am quite impressed by the 12mm Voigt.

May 08, 2012 at 05:02 AM
sculptormic
• • •
p.3 #6 · Ricoh GXR images

Ron, it does make sense the NEX-7 Ricoh combination. Ricoh for the M mount wides till 35mm and of course all other lenses you like. And you are right, the buffer of the Ricoh sucks for streetaction.
On the NEX-7 my favourite wide angles from the ones I have are C/Y Distagon 18/4, 28/2.8, Distagon 35/1.4 and 2.8. The 21 is just to bloody expensive right now and to big really.
And I like the Minolta MD 20/2.8 and 24/2.8 very much as well on it. The Canon FD 20/2.8 ( but a lot bigger as the Minolta) and 28/2 are also good.
But other 24's like from Olympus and Canon FD work rather well, with no corner issues.

Here are some with the Jupiter 12,

Michiel

These two are from Queensday in Amsterdam

May 08, 2012 at 08:29 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.3 #7 · Ricoh GXR images

That Jupiter lens draws really nicely.

May 08, 2012 at 04:57 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.3 #8 · Ricoh GXR images

Michiel, those look really nice. I particularly like the first two.

More from Munich Fasching:

Again, all with the CV12. I still think the CV15 is a better all-around lens on the GXR. Its images feel calmer, but the 12 is good if you have enough light and need even wider.

May 08, 2012 at 08:35 PM
sculptormic
• • •
p.3 #9 · Ricoh GXR images

Nice series Ron! BTW Nice tap in pic 4 You can buy a beer from the guy? : D

I don't have the VC 12 but I assume that perspective control is also even harder as with the VC 15, I mean leveling the camera. Buildings in the far background can look like they are made of chewing gum. But not in your case.

Michiel

May 08, 2012 at 11:08 PM
SKumar25
• • •
p.3 #10 · Ricoh GXR images

Beautiful shots Ron, uscmatt99 and Michiel!

May 09, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • •
p.3 #11 · Ricoh GXR images

Thank Michiel. I have another beer image coming, though a bit more subtle... I straightened some for a level horizon, but didn't do any more in terms of perspective corrections. A lot of these I did not looking through the EVF and had the back display turned off, meaning many weren't level. The 12mm is a lot more challenging to use on the M9. At least with the GXR you have live view and can carefully compose if there is time, but obviously with an M series camera just a slight rotation or tilt up/down/left/right, makes a dramatic difference in perspective control.

I use it mostly on the GXR, but on the M9 more so for non urban scenes where perspective distortion is less apparent, and also for people photos, like parties, etc. Actually, I was in Amsterdam last November and used it quite extensively at a party in an old 'typical' Amsterdam style building. I'm sure you know what I mean. Inside they're very narrow but deep... so imagine 30-40 people in an apartment party... you can't back up, so it was really convenient to shoot super wide and crop down if needed. Of course the people at the edges of the frame were somewhat stretched and distorted

More from Fasching:

May 09, 2012 at 12:28 AM
uscmatt99
• •
p.3 #12 · Ricoh GXR images

Ron and Michiel, more great work up there. Here are a few with the ZM 35/2.8 C-Biogon. My wife and I visited Saugatuck MI for the morning. It was dead compared to the weekend, in part due to chilly weather, so no people pics. Processed in LR4. For a good exposure in good light, I prefer RPP. But for 11am hard contrasty light, the LR4 exposure sliders and gradient/brush adjustments do wonders.

May 18, 2012 at 01:39 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.3 #13 · Ricoh GXR images

Thanks Skumar and Matt.

Very nice set Matt! Michigan is really a beautiful state. I think it's easily overlooked due to Detroit's reputation (good or bad). On the drive home from Chicago or Wisconsin I usually stop in New Buffalo for lunch. It's a really neat, small town with a few nice restaurants along the main drag. Seems like the whole east shore of Lake Michigan is really nice, even down in Indiana once you get past all the industry. If I have time I'll take the country roads for part of the way back to Port Huron rather than the interstate. Way more relaxed of a drive and great countryside.

Wrapping up the Munich carnival photos:

Like the beer theme of this last one.

Again, all with the CV12, I believe.

May 18, 2012 at 08:35 AM
sculptormic
• • •
p.3 #14 · Ricoh GXR images

Not a very regular poster here, so I must excuse myself for not keeping this thread more vivid.

Matt, that Zeiss Biogon C 35 has been in my scope. Real nice, small and sharp. Unfortunatly I cannot enjoy RPP because I am on Windows. I prefer the design

Ron, I especially like the last one because the situation looks normal till you notice that crate around his waste.

Here are some more with Russian lenses. The Jupiter-3 turns out to be a nice portrait lens as well.

Michiel

Portrait from my niece from Canada who paid us a short visit.

Jun 03, 2012 at 10:27 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.3 #15 · Ricoh GXR images

Thanks Michiel. I also have the ZM35C and it's a fine lens. Very nice variety of samples of the Jupiter. Being a cat person, I'm partial to the one of the very content looking cat.

A few of some work colleagues with the Nikkor 5cm f/1.4 LTM:

It has a nice glowy feel, if you like that sort of thing. And I like the background rendering a lot too, which is also a very subjective thing.

Jun 04, 2012 at 05:20 AM
uscmatt99
• •
p.3 #16 · Ricoh GXR images

Michiel, not being a cat person, I favor #1 and #3 Pretty nice rendering from the Jupiter lenses. I'm not familiar with them, are they the Russian made lenses based on Zeiss designs?

Ron, nice images from the Nikkor, definitely a different feel. The black and white is just great.

My wife and I spent a week in Rome and I just started processing the photos. I had my D700 kit with Zeiss and CV glass, my Ricoh kit with Zeiss and CV glass, and my wife carried the trusty D40 with kit lens. All packed in a Think Tank roller bag. It was an experiment for me, and proved to be valuable. The D700 didn't come out of the bag once! I used the Ricoh exclusively with the CV 15/4.5, CV 35/1.2, ZM 25/2.8, and ZM 35/2.8. I would have liked a 50 or 75, but made do with what I had. So far so good in LR4, but I'll probably reprocess my favorites in RPP. Aliasing reared its ugly head a few times, but the moire brush at least gets rid of the most disturbing color artifact. It was great having the D40 along as well so we could hand off the camera. Seems like everyone knows how to use a DSLR with kit lens these days! Not so lucky with the GXR. We tried to get a pic in front of the Monumento Nazionale a Vittorio Emanuele II, so I found a guy with a D700 to do it. Sure enough his thumb was resting on the zoom toggle which I have set up for exposure compensation. Let's just say those came out a little underexposed Anyway, I'll be posting to this thread as I get photos up online.

Jun 04, 2012 at 01:36 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.3 #17 · Ricoh GXR images

That's interesting Matt. Maybe look into getting an F to M mount adapter to use your longer ZF lenses on the GXR, or add something like the compact Nikkor 105 f/2.5 for use on both systems. Or a cheap 50 f/1.4.

Jun 04, 2012 at 06:22 PM
uscmatt99
• •
p.3 #18 · Ricoh GXR images

Ron, I've used the CV 40/2 and 90/3.5 SL-II F-mount lenses on the GXR with a Fotodiox adapter, until I got some native M-mount glass. They balanced well given the small size of the camera, and I was happy with the images. I can't say the same about my ZF100 and ZF.2 35/1.4 regarding balance. The adapter has a little too much play and a tiny release tab that is annoying, and the lenses focus just far enough past infinity that I need to be cognizant of it while shooting. All of my native M-mount glass hits infinity perfectly at the hard stop, which is awesome.

I'll hold on to all of my ZF and CV F-mount glass until someone releases a small mirrorless camera with an FX sensor, but my Nikkor/Sigma F-mount glass will soon go on the chopping block with my D700, to be replaced by the Olympus OM-D for my AF needs. I'm just a hobbyist, and it's fun to switch things up now and then. Maybe an M9 in the future, but I need to get a good helmet and suit of armor to fend off my wife's attack when she sees the credit card statement.

Jun 04, 2012 at 07:45 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.3 #19 · Ricoh GXR images

Matt: ...or, you could use to Leica Passport scheme to gain access to one of those Wife Proof Facilities and hunker in the bunker until it all blows over.

Michiel, love the look of that Jupiter lens.

Jun 05, 2012 at 05:48 AM
sculptormic
• • •
p.3 #20 · Ricoh GXR images

Very nice portraits, Ron! Quiet an exotic lens.I love the (wild) background rendering.

Matt, these are real bargain M mount L 39 lenses. Indeed they seem to be based on Zeiss designs.
I have the Jupiter-12 35/2.8, the Jupiter-8 50/2 and the 9 85/2 in black finish and the silver J 11 135
They are quiet good actually and I like the background rendering of these older lensdesigns.
Look forward to see some of your work from Rome. Very nice set of lenses you took with you.
Did you make some lowlight shots with yhe VC 35/1.2?

Thanks Kosmokatten!

Here is one from Amsterdam with the Jupiter. Quiet sharp for other kind of shots as well.

And one from one of my series on shopwindows.

Jun 06, 2012 at 08:57 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password