Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Baseball Season!

tshore
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Baseball Season!

After four months of shooting hoops in cycling sodium lights, it's great to be able to shoot in sunlight again! It's spring

Shot these yesterday. I was pretty happy with how they came out...until I saw Frank Lauri's shots. What the next level looks like..

All shot with 7D, 70-200 2.8 is II with 1.4x tc. and ISO 400.

tshore 2012

Canon EOS 7D    205mm    f/4.0    1/2500s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

tshore 2012

Canon EOS 7D    280mm    f/4.0    1/1600s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

tshore 2012

Canon EOS 7D    160mm    f/4.0    1/2500s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

tshore 2012

Canon EOS 7D    98mm    f/4.0    1/4000s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 21, 2012 at 04:15 AM
rpearce12

p.1 #2 · Baseball Season!

Nice action shots. The last is my favorite. My only suggestion is to crop tighter on most of these. Other than that, well done!

Mar 21, 2012 at 04:18 AM
tshore
• •
p.1 #3 · Baseball Season!

A few more...

I only got to shoot 4 innings, so opportunities were a little limited, but still some ok shots. Had to shoot from the 3rd base line...I would have been shooting right into the sun from the other side of the diamond.

C&C welcome.

Thanks,

Tim

tshore 2012

Canon EOS 7D    185mm    f/4.0    1/5000s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

tshore 2012

Canon EOS 7D    185mm    f/4.0    1/2000s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

tshore 2012

Canon EOS 7D    222mm    f/4.0    1/2500s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 21, 2012 at 04:19 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Baseball Season!

Try to avoid the "zoom trap." Don't think of your lens as being able to reach to 280mm when "you absolutely need to". Instead, think of it in reverse... pin your lens at 280mm and zoom out only when "you absolutely need to."

All, yes all, of these should have been shot at 280mm max focal length. And if it's tight on the horizontal, then switch to vertical orientation. IMO... 300mm is the bare minimum focal length needed for baseball to set your images apart from all the rest of the youth baseball shooters.

Last... start analyzing your own shots. Always ask... what can I do in camera or in post to make these better? For instance...

1... Do I really need to show the port o potty in this shot? What can I do to get rid of it?
2... What is the benefit of showing this horizontal as opposed to vertical?
3... Are the other players in the BG adding to this shot? How can I bring my viewer into the action?
4... Can I get any lower on my shots to really present this shot from a unique angle?

Point being... question everything and push yourself. Set your images apart.

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:31 AM
sandman22
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Baseball Season!

very valid points paul...so if I only have a 70-200 on a 7d would you reccomend having a 1.4 converter for sure?

I like the images tshore but as paul said I would like to see them tighter and closer to the action, but I am not qualified to critique so I will leave that to the master^^.

ben

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Baseball Season!

sandman22 wrote:
very valid points paul...so if I only have a 70-200 on a 7d would you reccomend having a 1.4 converter for sure?

I like the images tshore but as paul said I would like to see them tighter and closer to the action, but I am not qualified to critique so I will leave that to the master^^.

ben

Ben... if that's the combo that your budget will allow right now, then yes, that TC should always be on the field.

Mar 21, 2012 at 03:43 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Baseball Season!

Also, on the last shot, you have to make a decision. The ump does indeed add a bit to the texture of the shot, but does it make enough of a difference to warrant a real loose crop and spectators beyond the fence? For me, it doesn't. Not in this shot. I would bring the viewer right into the play and forget the ump. If he doesn't play into your comp correctly, then you have to sacrifice him.

Again, this is under the stipulation of "setting your shots apart". For editorial or PJ work, I might have a different take.

Mar 21, 2012 at 03:47 PM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Baseball Season!

Tim...you have some good looking shots there. Paul gave you some great comments that you can do pretty easily. Apply these to your shooting and you're in the game.

Like Paul said if that combo is what you have to work with....nothing wrong there. The 70-200 is a very capable lens and will produce great shots. You just have to keep it within its limitations. For the shot of the outfielder dropping down to make the catch...cropping tighter on that shot will probably show the affects of a heavy crop. I'm assuming you had field access for these shots. If you didn't...talk to you league officials and ask them to consider granting you the access with the flexibility to move around (between innnings). If you need shots of the outfielders....maybe ask for permission to move down the lines a bit to get some of their shots.

The clarity, exposure and sharpness of these shots are right on.

Keep shooting and posting.
Frank

Mar 21, 2012 at 04:02 PM
tshore
• •
p.1 #9 · Baseball Season!

Thanks for the helpful critique, guys!

I have not paid enough attention to background...geez, I didn't even notice the porta-potty. But now you mention it, it's sure there! We see what we want to see, sometimes.

I will work on shooting lower and tighter, and cropping tighter. I re-cropped these with that in mind. I think they are better, and held up pretty well given the severity of the crop, esp. in the outfield. A credit to the camera/lens combo. Of course if I had shot at 400mm, the crop would not need to have been so severe.

Thanks again!

Tim

Mar 23, 2012 at 02:20 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Baseball Season!

Night and day between the originals and the re-crops.

Mar 23, 2012 at 03:11 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password