Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Focus issue? Motion Blur?

Jacobovs
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Focus issue? Motion Blur?

I looked at this with 3 of my monitors, it looks just slightly soft. Should I have my lens calibrated? Motion blur?

D3s iso 1250 f2.8 1/500 24-70mm

NIKON D3S    AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED lens    35mm    f/2.8    1/500s    1250 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Mar 22, 2012 at 06:09 AM · View previous versions

Mar 21, 2012 at 02:44 AM
lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Focus issue? Motion Blur?

You're joking right?

No and maybe.

This one shot is not exactly a rigorous test of your lens/camera combo.

Nice shot, btw.

Mar 21, 2012 at 03:34 AM
Game Changer
• •
p.1 #3 · Focus issue? Motion Blur?

Not that I think there is anything wrong with the image, any chance you used NR in PP?

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Jacobovs
• •
p.1 #4 · Focus issue? Motion Blur?

lhryshko wrote:
You're joking right?

No and maybe.

This one shot is not exactly a rigorous test of your lens/camera combo.

Nice shot, btw.

Thanks, I realize that it's not a test for the lens but I like the shot and no matter which screen I look at it seems soft. I checked the focus point and it was on. I had the SS at 1/500 and wonder if it's that. It just does not strike me as sharp.

Mar 21, 2012 at 05:44 PM
bigblue1ca

p.1 #5 · Focus issue? Motion Blur?

I think it's pretty sharp, well at least based on being able to see the image here. If I zoom in a little I can see some motion blur on the defender's left foot I think. Maybe 1/500 isn't fast enough? Have you applied any noise reduction? Do you have any similar images from that night with faster shutter speeds? I personally like the shot. If you think you've seen what you perceive to be a problem over a number of images, you should post a selection of them to get people's opinions.

Mar 21, 2012 at 08:26 PM
pjbuehner
• •
p.1 #6 · Focus issue? Motion Blur?

1. There is no way to judge sharpness by this size image
2. at 2.8 you will not have everything in focus.
3. 1/500 is not fast enough in my experience at this level. I would shoot for 1/800 minimum.

Mar 22, 2012 at 01:42 AM
pjbuehner
• •
p.1 #7 · Focus issue? Motion Blur?

oh and
4. nice shot.
5. how are you on the base line of a Celtics game and unable to judge the performance of your camera ?

Mar 22, 2012 at 01:45 AM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Focus issue? Motion Blur?

pjbuehner wrote:
oh and
4. nice shot.
5. how are you on the base line of a Celtics game and unable to judge the performance of your camera ?

Ouch ....

Mar 22, 2012 at 01:57 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jacobovs
• •
p.1 #9 · Focus issue? Motion Blur?

pjbuehner wrote:
oh and
4. nice shot.

Thanks. I'm actually more concerned about my monitors. Everyone seems to see the image as sharp. In reviewing my shots from the game, this one bothered me because almost everything was right ( focus point, lighting , tracking etc...) but I was frustrated by the apparent softness. Maybe just my perfectionism showing.

As for your question #5. not worth answering.

Mar 22, 2012 at 04:07 AM
Rags Hef
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Focus issue? Motion Blur?

Seems to me, if it bothers you, you may have enough room to stop the motion @ 800 or 1000. You have plenty of room with your iso (1250 this image)if you spot meter and you might even be able to get to 3.5 - 4.0 to increase dof for the rear players

Rags

Mar 22, 2012 at 04:40 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Focus issue? Motion Blur?

Looks sharp

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.1 #12 · Focus issue? Motion Blur?

Is this shot in available light lit for TV? (I don't know what sync speed of a D3s is)

Mar 22, 2012 at 04:12 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Focus issue? Motion Blur?

I agree that this shot looks sharp. Based on my experience shooting NBA with (at various times) a 300 f/2.8, 200 f/1.8 + 1.4x TC, 70-200 f/2.8 and 24-70 f/2.8, what I see here is the difference between a sharp image from a relatively wide-angle lens and a sharp image from a tele. Speaking for myself, it would be rare indeed to achieve the kind of stunning sharpness from the wider zoom that is fairly typical for the longer lenses.

Mar 22, 2012 at 04:37 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Focus issue? Motion Blur?

I don't shoot at your level, but I struggle with the problem you have poised here. I would have thought given the high quality light in a pro arena that 1/500 would have stopped action though I note that ISO is "only" 1250. Yes at f/2.8 not everything will be in focus, but this pix has an oddity about it that I often encounter in much worse light and a slower pace. That is, things that should be crisp don't seem to be while other parts of the fame seem to be sharper. I'm looking carefully at 34 (nice expression BTW) and the only truly "right" part are the folds in his shorts. And the ball. Did the AF point land on the ball?

Both 34 and defender's left feet are showing blur. Wide aperture, I'd guess except I'm bothered by the fact that the rear green player's face is almost as sharp as your foreground. The two out of focus (motion blur?) left feet probably suck the eye to them detracting from the overall quality of the pix.

You are obviously a far better photog than I (I'm shooting dank high school gyms with rapidly cycling light), but if it was me I think I might kick the ISO up to 1600 (Don't know the limits of the D3s - I shoot with a 1DIII) and narrow aperture a bit - maybe 4.0 - and of course kick up the shutter speed. Worth an experiment.

One thing for sure, I'd kill to get this quality out of my 24-70 at this low of ISO. Actually a nice pix, but I sense the same irritation with it that you do. Oh, well, onward towards perfection.

Robert

Mar 22, 2012 at 04:58 PM
Rags Hef
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Focus issue? Motion Blur?

OR.. it might be lens diffraction (perceptible to you).

I don't know where your focus point was, but it's typical for lenses to have some diffraction around the edges.

Rags

Mar 22, 2012 at 05:29 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password