Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · D4 and 14-24 or 1DX?

BostonGreg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D4 and 14-24 or 1DX?

I'm heavily invested in Canon glass and recently placed an order for a new 1DX. I've been reading more into Nikon recently and keep hearing the grass in greener. Should I keep my trust in Canon one last time and hope the 1DX puts them back on top or spend my money on a new D4 and 14-24. I've always hated Nikon but for some reason this whim has me very excited. The D4 looks really sweet and for once, I just want my gear to work right out of the box. I'm a student and if after dropping $7k of my hard earned money this great new focusing system by Canon is shit (AGAIN) I'm going to be more than pissed! WIth around $30k in Canon L primes, should I stick with them at this point or grab the Nikon?

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:55 AM
johnip
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D4 and 14-24 or 1DX?

Sell it all and get a D4 imo.

Mar 21, 2012 at 01:27 AM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D4 and 14-24 or 1DX?

I've got the 1D X on back order and the D4 in hand. I only had about an hour with the D4 after work for testing. The focus was spot on as far as I could tell. I would say better than my 1dsIII and 1d IV so far. But I really need more time to say that for sure. So don't take it seriously.

Lately I've been slowly moving to Nikon for lower focal lengths and Canon for their Super-teles. The new light weigtht version II Canon Super-Tele's are hard to beat.

Canon really has a more versatile selection of modern updates glass. Nikon has the edge on body technology.

Let's hope with this refresh they will both catch up with each other.

Mar 21, 2012 at 02:04 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D4 and 14-24 or 1DX?

i made that decision 4 years ago when i went to the D3 and later a D700 from a 1Ds2 and 1D3. it took 15 days to move all the glass and accessories. yes it is nice to have gotten gear that went right to work out of the box after the battery charge. i have not missed Canon for a moment.

Mar 21, 2012 at 02:04 AM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D4 and 14-24 or 1DX?

netexpress wrote:
I've got the 1D X on back order and the D4 in hand. I only had about an hour with the D4 after work for testing. The focus was spot on as far as I could tell. I would say better than my 1dsIII and 1d IV so far. But I really need more time to say that for sure. So don't take it seriously.

Lately I've been slowly moving to Nikon for lower focal lengths and Canon for their Super-teles. The new light weigtht version II Canon Super-Tele's are hard to beat.

Canon really has a more versatile selection of
...Show more

this is spot on. I'd like the D4 and I mentioned the 14-24 because I want this setup for wedding receptions and wide, formal shots. I just purchased the new Canon 300 f/2.8L IS II and Nikon can't touch it. I think I'm going to do exactly what you're doing....Nikon for wide, indoor stuff and Canon for sports etc. I'll still take the 85 1.2 out of the bag for some wedding shots of course

Mar 21, 2012 at 03:02 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D4 and 14-24 or 1DX?

as long as you can afford to feed 2 systems have fun with it. even though i can too i decided that it really wasn't worth the real world trouble. its like owning 2 tool kits that pretty much do the same. how much do you get back from really owning both before it becomes a strain?

Edited on Mar 21, 2012 at 11:56 AM · View previous versions

Mar 21, 2012 at 10:24 AM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D4 and 14-24 or 1DX?

"I've always hated Nikon"

Why?

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:55 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D4 and 14-24 or 1DX?

I agree with all that is said on here. Now I have not shot with Nikon but I'm super envious of their sensor technology. No banding at low iso and larger DR. That said, I like the specs of the 5D3 over the D800 or D700 so I'm staying put with my Canon system and lenses. The 22MP spot is good for me, I don't want or need the 36MP or the 75-100MB files. I also don't use grips and therefore want the 6FPS without adding one. I also agree that Canon still has the edge on lenses in everything over the 24-70 range and with their TSE and L primes. For now I'm sticking to Canon but I really want to try out Nikon too.

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D4 and 14-24 or 1DX?

johnip wrote:
Sell it all and get a D4 imo.

So why do you keep your Canon bodies and lenses then

Mar 23, 2012 at 03:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

johnip
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D4 and 14-24 or 1DX?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
So why do you keep your Canon bodies and lenses then

Because I, like you it would seem, still like all my Canon equipment. I've never had trouble with mine not working right out of the box like Greg has. Basically, I gave a silly response to what I see as a silly question.

Back to the OP, why not just wait a bit until both bodies are out and thoroughly reviewed and then pick the one that fares better? No gambling required if you go that route.

Mar 23, 2012 at 03:46 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D4 and 14-24 or 1DX?

johnip wrote:
Because I, like you it would seem, still like all my Canon equipment. I've never had trouble with mine not working right out of the box like Greg has. Basically, I gave a silly response to what I see as a silly question.

Back to the OP, why not just wait a bit until both bodies are out and thoroughly reviewed and then pick the one that fares better? No gambling required if you go that route.

Ok, I belived you where serious

Mar 23, 2012 at 04:08 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D4 and 14-24 or 1DX?

BostonGreg wrote:
I'm heavily invested in Canon glass and recently placed an order for a new 1DX. I've been reading more into Nikon recently and keep hearing the grass in greener. Should I keep my trust in Canon one last time and hope the 1DX puts them back on top or spend my money on a new D4 and 14-24. I've always hated Nikon but for some reason this whim has me very excited. The D4 looks really sweet and for once, I just want my gear to work right out of the box. I'm a student and if after dropping $7k
...Show more

You have Canon glass for $ 30 k. And you also have many Zeiss lenses in Canon mount. You have an order for the 1D X. Then you hear that the grass is greener on the other side so you like to sell everything
And asking an internet forum if you should do that

Mar 23, 2012 at 04:16 AM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D4 and 14-24 or 1DX?

Follow the glass.

Whichever system has the better glass suited to your needs, is where you should be.

Personally, I don't think I'd put myself in two boats, because I like to have a backup of everything, so that would get expensive real quick. But I can see the reasoning that others would do that - each company does excel in different aspects.

But overall, glass is going to outlast any body... any 5+ generations of bodies for me. I have two 200/1.8 lenses - which originally came out in 1989 - is my most used lens. Only recently did Nikon offer anything on par. (yes, I know about the Nikkor f/2 200mm, but it was MF)
New bodies - with different spex come out every 2-3 years, with usually Nikon/Canon leap frogging each other every other generation.

The other question you have to ask yourself - and seek an honest answer from yourself - will it be good enough? Will the 1DX be good enough for what you need? It's just as much a variable as jumping over to Nikon for your particular aspects of shooting.
Sure, it's always cool to get new stuff, and all new Nikon gear would be more fun than just one new body! And if your a hobbiest with lots of money, then no worries. But as a pro, our bottom line is affected by our assets and expenditures.

Mar 23, 2012 at 04:20 AM
orgovsky
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D4 and 14-24 or 1DX?

Hammy wrote:
And if your a hobbiest with lots of money, then no worries. But as a pro, our bottom line is affected by our assets and expenditures.

That there identifies the biggest difference between the two groups. While both have a passion for the same thing, one earns his keep to support it while the other earns his keep from doing it.

I am not a pro by any stretch, but OP, if you're heavily invested in Canon glass, I would think you would be best off staying with Canon...I'm not really sure the cost of changing over would be worth the marginal gain, if any.

I think both companies have pretty compelling products and you couldn't go wrong sticking with one or switching to the other.

Good luck with your decision.

Mar 23, 2012 at 07:16 PM
BriMcD
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D4 and 14-24 or 1DX?

Greg are you shooting more weddings or sports?

Mar 23, 2012 at 09:01 PM
daskibum
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D4 and 14-24 or 1DX?

Really, no real reason to switch. I could post images taken with Nikon and Canon cameras, with every one of their lenses from 300mm down to wide angle, post them up with stripped EXIF data, and nobody here would be able to tell you what image came from what camera or lens unless they could guess based on DOF of the Canon 1.2's.

Mar 24, 2012 at 05:11 PM
elkhornsun
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D4 and 14-24 or 1DX?

Why not rent a 1D X and try it for a few days or a week before making the switch. For my part the 1D Mark III was a great camera and the two deficiencies were that it was not full frame and that it was only about 85% accurate in terms of mixed lighting exposures with flash.

These were the two primary reasons for my selling all my Canon gear and getting a D3. The icing on the cake was the availability of the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 (far superior to the Canon 16-35mm f2.8 in every regard), and the 24-70mm f2.8 (which unlike the Canon version the Nikon provides consistently accurate autofocus as well as stellar image quality).

Mar 26, 2012 at 05:36 AM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D4 and 14-24 or 1DX?

You state a you are a student. If that is so, I'd suggest you keep what you have, which is a very good set up. I made the change three years ago without selling much of my Canon equip. I bought into Nikon only because my Canon equip had a great deal of focusing issues, not because the grass might have been greener on the other side.

As a student it suggests your earning less than you are learning. Whats the hurry to change systems?

The Nikons have performed for myself, still have much of the Canon stuff. If you peruse the Canon and Nikon boards you'll see two things different from board to board. Canon users want to know, Does the 5D MKIII focus? Nikon users want to know, Does the D800 have a useable high ISO and maintain definition without noise. Focus is a given.
Nikons focus. I think the 5D MKIII looks like a great camera, I ordered a D800E, to compliment my D3s and probably shelve my D3x. I still have a 5D MKII, its a great camera, the new do not render the old useless, unless they are useless now.

Mar 27, 2012 at 02:41 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password