Upload & Sell: Off
| p.1 #5 · A day at San Lazaro Race Track |
The Manila Jockey Club was founded in 1867 by the Spanish Governor-General to conduct horse races in the country. The Club started out with 100 exclusive members known as “socio fundadores,” members of affluent families in the country who still dominate the Filipino market today: Ayala, Zobel, Prieto, Tuason, and Elizalde, among others. These sportsmen conducted recreational races for the enjoyment of the social elite. During the American government in 1903, betting was introduced. By 1912, the San Lazaro racetrack and grandstand were built in Sta. Cruz, Manila on a 16 hectare property. MJC was formally incorporated as a business entity in 1937. In the 1950s, the Club was publicly listed with the Manila Stock Exchange. Additionally, thirty five off-track betting stations were set up and racing was broadcasted on TV. Through the leadership of Atty. Alfonso Reyno Jr, a group of investors acquired the controlling interest of MJC from the Prieto family in 1995. By 2003, a world class racing facility was constructed by MJC on a 77 hectare property in Carmona, Cavite.
PAGCOR by alabang, on Flickr
15 by alabang, on Flickr
Thoughts are like butterflies by alabang, on Flickr
Colors of the Wind by alabang, on Flickr
GA Rivera by alabang, on Flickr