Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lone Elk

Tservo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Lone Elk

I decided to go to Lone Elk randomly last October. It's an elk preserve outside of St. Louis and you can have some pretty close encounters with the local elk herd. I'm still pretty new here, and new to photography in general. Any critiques are welcome.

I plan to go back soon and try and get some better pictures of the elk and the bison herd they have there.

Mar 20, 2012 at 01:23 AM
Thomas Sanders
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Lone Elk

Sounds (and looks ) like a very cool place!
Nice work on these and glad to see you posting
Some work in post could brighten these up a touch but they are very nice as is

Look forward to seeing some Bison when you get back there!

Tom

Mar 20, 2012 at 01:49 AM
Tservo

p.1 #3 · Lone Elk

Thanks, I have some pictures of bison but they are a little more difficult since you aren't allowed out of your car. Also bison are surprisingly black, getting the exposure right on a bright day is pretty difficult.
On another note, I did alter a few of these in post but not very heavily. Post is something I'm needing a bit more practice with.

Mar 20, 2012 at 02:19 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Lone Elk

Looks like a great place to do some Elk photography. 1 is a funny shot 3 is my favorite of the set. I would like to see a bit more room on the bottom of that one, it looks like the Elk is eating from outside the frame Keep them coming!

Tim

Mar 20, 2012 at 04:32 PM
Conrad Tan
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Lone Elk

I agree with Tom, a little bit of PP and up the SS next time and I'm sure you'll get a ton of keepers! Also keep your DOF wider and/or focus on the eye of the subject for maximum impact on the viewer.

Mar 20, 2012 at 05:07 PM
Tservo

p.1 #6 · Lone Elk

Thanks for the advice. For a lot of these pictures I was just attempting to get something, since half the time the bull elks were within 20 feet of me during the rut. Personal safety was the main focus on that particular day with up to four different bulls nearby.
Also one of the main reasons for the shallower DOF on a couple of these is because of the failing light and my camera's ISO performance is questionable past 800.
If the weather is nice this weekend I plan on going back. They also have a bird sanctuary with lots of raptors so I'll see if I can't get some halfway decent pics.

Mar 20, 2012 at 05:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Lone Elk

#3 would be my favorite also

Mar 20, 2012 at 09:54 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Lone Elk

It's 3 for me too, but they are all nice. One suggestion would be to watch what's behind your subject. In the last shot, it looks like you could have moved to one side so that the car was not in the frame ~ Ron

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:48 PM
Tservo

p.1 #9 · Lone Elk

Still being new to photography I have a lot to learn about good composition, but I think on that last one I was limited to where I could move by the herd. There was about 20 elk present, including bulls and calves. This particular cow didn't take kindly to the people present, even charged a couple kids. Moving from where I was standing wasn't an option, but that's still not much of an excuse.

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:17 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Lone Elk

Welcome. Safety first and foremost. You don't want one of these guys after you.
Keep shooting and practicing .

Nice set , no 3 is my favorite also.

Birdie

Mar 20, 2012 at 11:24 PM
BearCreekLar
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Lone Elk

Looks like a great place to go visit! #2 for me
Larry

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:52 AM
Tservo

p.1 #12 · Lone Elk

BearCreekLar wrote:
Looks like a great place to go visit! #2 for me
Larry

It is, sad thing is most people from St. Louis have never been or even know it's there. They might also be closing it this year which is really sad. If you're ever in, or passing through, St. Louis I suggest checking it out. It's at the intersection of 44 and 141.

Mar 21, 2012 at 01:56 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password