Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · iPad,Retina, Downsampling

mobius32

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · iPad,Retina, Downsampling

Tom's Hardware has an interesting review (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ipad-3-benchmark-review,3156.html) which talks about how the mobile version of the Safari web browser downsamples any image that "hits the 1024 pixel limit" and what this means for photgraphers.

Mar 19, 2012 at 02:33 PM
Ruahrc
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · iPad,Retina, Downsampling

Interesting. And a little disappointing- as indeed it nearly defeats the purpose of the enhanced display. Nevertheless, I think that the new screen will still make images look significantly better than the iPad 1/2, because the finer pixel pitch means less "screen door effect".

Hope they can fix this in a future patch.

Norman

Mar 19, 2012 at 04:31 PM
saaketham
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · iPad,Retina, Downsampling

mobius32 wrote:
Tom's Hardware has an interesting review (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ipad-3-benchmark-review,3156.html) which talks about how the mobile version of the Safari web browser downsamples any image that "hits the 1024 pixel limit" and what this means for photgraphers.

I hit this in the morning and was wondering what was going on. So, I had to copy/paste the URL into Terra (my favorite browser) and that took care of downloading the original image.

Mar 19, 2012 at 05:22 PM
mobius32

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · iPad,Retina, Downsampling

Ruahrc wrote:
Interesting. And a little disappointing- as indeed it nearly defeats the purpose of the enhanced display. Nevertheless, I think that the new screen will still make images look significantly better than the iPad 1/2, because the finer pixel pitch means less "screen door effect".

Hope they can fix this in a future patch.

Norman

My sentiments, too.

Mar 19, 2012 at 05:36 PM
phelme

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · iPad,Retina, Downsampling

Ruahrc wrote:

I'd contend that part of the reason the new iPad screen looks so great in contrast is because the original screen was just so-so to begin with. My Toshiba Thrive has a more dense pattern to its IPS matrix so seems like a smaller quality leap to the new iPad than the old iPad does, if that makes any sense.

Mar 19, 2012 at 07:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · iPad,Retina, Downsampling

mobius32 wrote:

very absurd, they really need to make that a toggle, totally absurd

Mar 20, 2012 at 02:05 AM
matthewbmedia
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · iPad,Retina, Downsampling

I ran into this while building an HTML driven app.

There are 2 workarounds currently if any photogs are using these for mobile web portfolios -
1. Use Progressive JPGs
2. it's actually a 1024x1024x2 limit

Or if you want a portfolio - just load the images onto the ipad instead of using safari to view them...

Jul 23, 2012 at 03:04 AM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · iPad,Retina, Downsampling

While I seriously considered the Retina Macbook Pro for a while, I'm no longer nearly as interested now that some of the effects being done behind the scenes come to light. I especially found that websized JPEGs are simply not accurate in terms of perceived sharpness vs other screens, which makes it extremely hard to judge when preparing output for the web. It seems that it's mostly due to the graphics processing everything at full res in the background but then downsampling for output.

Jul 23, 2012 at 03:37 PM
matthewbmedia
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · iPad,Retina, Downsampling

Greg - As a fulltime developer - retina displays do pose an issue for us - we have to stage 2 versions of photos if we want to support a retina display... JPGs aren't resolution independent - not much can be done there. For it to be shown at "normal size" compared to a non-retina monitor - the image needs to be scaled 2x.

Jul 23, 2012 at 05:43 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password