Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Ski Photography: Which shot is honestly better?? - Last 2...

winzphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ski Photography: Which shot is honestly better?? - Last 24 hours of a Photo contest

Hey guys/gals,

This post is a bit of frustration combined with some cool photography and a bit of semi-self promotion as well. Hope that's okay.

I had an absolutely grueling week of shooting and editing last week; nearly 70 hours in four days during the Salt lake shootout, a ski photo competition. The last part of the contest involves online voting for "The Best Shot" via Facebook and I've felt like a politician all week promoting our shot to get "votes". It's been frustrating because, all I'm interested in is people voting for who actually has the best shot, instead of a making it a social popularity contest, which is what it has become. So I want your honest opinion about which shot out of the two left in the running is the best? I'd love some forum people to vote of course and help the best photograph win (even if it's not mine), instead of making this a "I have more FB fans then you do, so I win, contest". Anyway, if you are interested in voting either way, let's see it. Go there to look and vote for the "BEST PHOTO". Period. If mine's not the best, I'll suck it up and take it.

Here's how:
1) - simply hit 'like' on this page link
2) - 'like' your favorite shot. (8 shots total)

About my shot: We spent 4 solid days shooting close to 16 hour days last week during the contest. Unfortunately, the conditions were pretty horrible, with absolutely no new snow and warm weather that turned the little snow we had to crap. We endured and on the last night of shooting at Alta Ski resort (Utah) and literally about the last shot of the entire contest, we were desperate to get some work done that would be worthy of publishing. A few of the athletes quickly built up a little kicker (jump) and I set-up a single strobe (Elinchrom Ranger) to off camera right. We were losing light quickly, so I had one of my athletes ready to go and he literally only took two runs into the jump. The first ended up as an awkward face plant and no shot. Well, just before the light faded to black, he rolled in again and nailed an awesome inverted roll and luckily the strobe fired and so did my 5D Mark II at just the right time. We were stoked and called it a day! Now we are hoping to get that last push of votes to win this thing. May the best shot win. Thanks!

Mar 18, 2012 at 03:02 AM
ian408
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ski Photography: Which shot is honestly better?? - Last 24 hours of a Photo contest

I thought the right was the best of the bunch.

Mar 18, 2012 at 06:35 PM
BioBanker
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ski Photography: Which shot is honestly better?? - Last 24 hours of a Photo contest

I love your bike work on the page. Great shots.

On the right for me too. Theres too much in the shot that is hard to beat. The colors, the snow whisking off the jump, the lighting, the orange in the valley, composition...all nailed in my eyes.

Mar 18, 2012 at 07:00 PM
brockwhittaker
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ski Photography: Which shot is honestly better?? - Last 24 hours of a Photo contest

To me? The one on the right; no competition. I love the dramatic lighting of it, and the nice frozen action. The problem with the left for me, is that if I look at each photo for say one second, I immediately notice the action and skiier on the right, but when I look at the left, I have to stare for a second and figure out what it is, and then decide that it is an action shot.

Mar 18, 2012 at 07:20 PM
rbaker
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ski Photography: Which shot is honestly better?? - Last 24 hours of a Photo contest

Took me about a second to pick the one on the right. Great pic!

Mar 18, 2012 at 07:59 PM
C Parish
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ski Photography: Which shot is honestly better?? - Last 24 hours of a Photo contest

I'll pick the one on the right!

The left one loses the skier a bit in the rocky background.

Cheers

Mar 19, 2012 at 05:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

goneballistic

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ski Photography: Which shot is honestly better?? - Last 24 hours of a Photo contest

photo on the right is much cooler.

Mar 20, 2012 at 04:57 AM
lighthawk
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ski Photography: Which shot is honestly better?? - Last 24 hours of a Photo contest

The right hand photo is much stronger action. The whisking snow (mentioned above), and freeze frame, colorful skier win for me. The left photo is rather flat and the skier does not stand out.

Went to FB page and voted

Jan 09, 2013 at 04:59 PM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ski Photography: Which shot is honestly better?? - Last 24 hours of a Photo contest

No brainer. You got my vote- killer shot.

Jan 09, 2013 at 05:24 PM
sozypozy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ski Photography: Which shot is honestly better?? - Last 24 hours of a Photo contest

I like the picture on the right. The left one does not work as well as the right one.

Jan 10, 2013 at 05:18 PM
gschlact
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ski Photography: Which shot is honestly better?? - Last 24 hours of a Photo contest

This is a 9 month old thread??
I thought both compositions were non-ideal. The left, the skier is too far left and underexposed. The right shot of the jumping skier has really poor horizon which I realize in skiing is sometimes ok, but this one ruins it with the towns lights going downhill and slanting back-lit trees.

Guy

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:18 AM
Jd3774life

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ski Photography: Which shot is honestly better?? - Last 24 hours of a Photo contest

Voted one on the RIGHT! I love the lighting and the capture of the moment!

Also the one on the left, you lose the focus... it doesn't even catch my eye at all when looking at it.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:09 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password