Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Anti Virus which one?

tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Anti Virus which one?

My Nortons has been acting up so I un-installed today and put on a free AV so now I think I want to try something else I have been happy with Norton until now. Anyone have any suggestions for a good AV?

Thank you

Mar 17, 2012 at 09:23 PM
rankamateur
• • •
p.1 #2 · Anti Virus which one?

The IT guys at work swear by AVG free version for their home stuff. The company is strictly Norton but in speaking with them it is more because it is easier to maintain over a large network. Stay away from Kaspersky it is a serious resource hog.

Mar 18, 2012 at 01:52 PM
Ritalin

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Anti Virus which one?

I used AVG for years and it protected my computer just fine, right now I'm trying Avast and it seems to be doing just as well.

Mar 18, 2012 at 02:56 PM
JohnnyMike

p.1 #4 · Anti Virus which one?

As I prefer a fairly innocuous anti-virus software, I used MS Security Essentials. An option perhaps for you.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

Mar 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM
nguyencs
• •
p.1 #5 · Anti Virus which one?

AVG or Avast both free

Mar 19, 2012 at 01:39 AM
Ronny Mills
• • •
p.1 #6 · Anti Virus which one?

JohnnyMike wrote:
As I prefer a fairly innocuous anti-virus software, I used MS Security Essentials. An option perhaps for you.

+1

Mar 19, 2012 at 05:13 AM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #7 · Anti Virus which one?

JohnnyMike wrote:

+ 1 more

Mar 19, 2012 at 04:07 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

penpro
• • •
p.1 #8 · Anti Virus which one?

I have been using AVG free for a long time many machines and never had an issue.

Mar 20, 2012 at 02:44 AM
wallythewalrus

p.1 #9 · Anti Virus which one?

Avast anti-virus and comodo firewall work for me.

Mar 20, 2012 at 02:50 AM
neilvan
• •
p.1 #10 · Anti Virus which one?

MSE. Runs quietly and works well...

Mar 20, 2012 at 12:28 PM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #11 · Anti Virus which one?

Two things to consider:

1. How good is it at stopping bad guys
2. What's it cost, both in $ and system/operator load.

Several good sites do the effectiveness testing for you. This is one of the best:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

Unfortunately, they report that all anit-virus programs are less than perfect. Scoring 95% is considered good. Would you fly on an airline that crashed 5% of the time? Probably not, but you have to fly.

The best freebies, like MSE, Avast, and AVG, compete well with the $$ boys. Basically, you get 90% of the effectiveness performance for 10% of the cost (no dollars, but some of your time and computer resource).

I've been through many. Couple of years each with Norton, BitDefender, Kaspersky, McAfee. Switched each time one failed and I got infected. Then realized that all my infections were "drive bys" from javascript on websites. Virus reports indicate that javascript now accounts for the vast majority of malware.

Then I discovered the free "No Script" add-on for the FireFox browser. Been using that combo for 3 years now and have had zero infections. I use MSE as backup, but MSE has not trapped anything during that time, simply because it didn't have to.

Firefox No Script does not protect against malware in downloaded programs, or e-mail attachments. So a good scanner is still needed for those. MSE is OK, so are the other freebies. I also use MalwareBytes' free stand-alone scanner whenever I download some off-brand utility.

With Firefox No Script, you can display a list of "blocked" scripts. That list is often very scarry. Even on well established "reputable" sites, the list will show a large number of blocked scripts from other sites. You might trust the "reputable" site, but do you trust all the others? Does the reputable site regularly police the other sites it uses? Even if those other sites are also reputable, are they immune from hackers that might replace their normal scripts with something nasty?

Mar 20, 2012 at 06:20 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #12 · Anti Virus which one?

I've always liked Avast (free). Very intuitive, and seems to catch quite a lot of the little nasties scouring the internet.

Mar 20, 2012 at 06:40 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Anti Virus which one?

I use Eset Nod 32. Seems to have worked well.

Mar 21, 2012 at 03:29 AM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #14 · Anti Virus which one?

Tanglefoot, just wondering what you decided. Remember, you need a multi-pronged approach today. After many years of switching around, I now use Avast, Malewarebytes (Pro), WinPatrol Plus, Spywareblaster and Spybot search and Destroy. The Avast, Malwarebytes and Winpatrol run constantly and I use the other two monthly for updates/scans. I have never been compromised but have thwarted several nasties over the years.

My total package was free to begin with but I upgraded the Winpatrol and Malwarebytes to the pro versions for about $30 total. None of these items are too resource heavy either so they run even on my older laptop without problem.

Let us know what you chose.

Mar 21, 2012 at 05:21 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password