Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Stop the Press! Encyclopedia Britannica embraces the Digi...

Skarkowtsky
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stop the Press! Encyclopedia Britannica embraces the Digital Era

Britannica acknowledges the accessibility and immediacy of constant and new information, ditches bound material, and will offer future volumes in digital format. It's a great day for technology.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/13/after-244-years-encyclopaedia-britannica-stops-the-presses/?hp

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:36 PM
Ho1972
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stop the Press! Encyclopedia Britannica embraces the Digital Era

Skarkowtsky wrote:
It's a great day for technology.

Not so much. I couldn't begin to guess how many articles and items caught my eye as I thumbed through those bound volumes at the library and at home. Looking something up was a journey filled with unexpected side-trips and surprises.

I don't find that happening nearly as much with digital media.

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:05 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stop the Press! Encyclopedia Britannica embraces the Digital Era

Ho1972 wrote:
I couldn't begin to guess how many articles and items caught my eye as I thumbed through those bound volumes at the library and at home. Looking something up was a journey filled with unexpected side-trips and surprises.

I have that same experience with dead tree technology encyclopedias and sweat labour rare earth element technology encyclopedias. The latter are more convenient.

Mar 15, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stop the Press! Encyclopedia Britannica embraces the Digital Era

Britannica has zero intention of sacrificing any of the information they typically provide to their readership. In fact, they plan to utilize the ability to constantly update the encyclopedias as new, important information comes to light.

All that changes here is how the content is delivered, and the ability to keep the readership up to date, in real time. Hardly a setback, in the slightest.

Choosing to thumb through a bound book with information that very well might be out of date in a years time, for the sake of nostalgia, is a weird concept to me.

Mar 15, 2012 at 01:47 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stop the Press! Encyclopedia Britannica embraces the Digital Era

No matter what side of the fence you are on you have to admit that a set of EBs make a great photo background.... much better than posing people in front of a computer linked to Wikipedia.

Mar 15, 2012 at 04:36 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stop the Press! Encyclopedia Britannica embraces the Digital Era

Hahaha. Agreed.

Mar 15, 2012 at 05:00 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password