Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · When are files just too big?

twistedlim
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · When are files just too big?

I had to email a couple of raw files from my 5D classic yesterday. As I anxiously await the 5d MKII the download time of the 13mb file got me wondering how much longer it is going to take to send the 30+ mb files of the 5d3. At what point do the files get to be to much to send, store, and manipulate?

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:31 AM
cwebster
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · When are files just too big?

Never!

Storage and bandwidth gets cheaper faster than camera file size is increasing.

When you say "send the 30+ mb files" where are you sending them. I shoot RAW with a 50D, so my files are only 25-30 mb, but it takes only 4.5 seconds to send a photo from camera to desktop while shooting tethered over USB, and it takes only a few seconds to upload the resulting JPEG to my web site.

If you are sending 16-bit TIFFs, you should be using FTP or a file transfer site like Sendit rather than trying to send them by email.

If you think 30 mb files are bad, the raw files from the rented Hassy with 39Mpix digital back were 120 MB each. Fortunately hard drive space is cheap and $80 bought another terabyte to store those files, which was way less than the cost of the camera rental.

<Chas>

Mar 14, 2012 at 06:25 PM
Taoguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · When are files just too big?

I shoot with a D3x and 5DMKII, pre-ordered the D800E, without a doubt digital requires you to keep pace with your computers & storage, definitely use a transfer site vs email. I have most of my files exceeding 100 mb.

I upgrade my computer every two years, I presently use the 27" iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM, 2TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive with the Promise Pegasus 12TB (6x2TB) R6 RAID System x2, the system I replace becomes my backup at my home.

This is the first time I did not upgrade to a MAC Pro and I never wait for much of anything. The solid state drive really zips everything along, so far no issues withe Pegasus.

I'd ask myself if I need these big files, my D3s delivers great pics, much smaller files. Vicious circle when you get into the higher res bodies.

Gerard

Mar 14, 2012 at 09:06 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password