Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · My Gmail account has been hacked...

Paul Yi
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My Gmail account has been hacked...

Please ignore any e-mail claiming that I need money....

I'm sorry for the confusion caused to some of you already...

Thanks,
Paul

Mar 13, 2012 at 05:48 PM
corposant
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My Gmail account has been hacked...

So should I cancel that wire for $50,000?

Mar 13, 2012 at 08:43 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My Gmail account has been hacked...

They were modest crackers, they only asked for $2500 Paul, check your ymail account!

Mar 13, 2012 at 09:03 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My Gmail account has been hacked...

A friend's account was hacked awhile ago, and the vile filth that spewed forth from his address was frighteningly funny. I mean, we all knew he'd been hacked (hizzaaaacked!) because he was such a well-behaved guy and suddenly he was peddling websites using the most absolutely base, sexualized trash talk, e-mailed during the middle of the workday when even in your drunkest, horniest college days you'd never pen such things to people and then hit "SEND".

So Paul, perhaps though unfortunate, you can see the "brighter side" of this mor(ass).

Tee-hee-hee! I said it!

Mar 13, 2012 at 09:26 PM
Paul Yi
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My Gmail account has been hacked...

This guy changed my password, so I can't even access the Gmail.
And the worst part is that I can retrieve the account without accessing the account...

I've used it over 15 years, and this is a real headache...

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:57 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My Gmail account has been hacked...

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be disrespectful, I didn't know it was so bad. You have my sympathies, as I was trying to make light of the situation.

Paul Yi wrote:
I've used it over 15 years, and this is a real headache...

15 years of G-mail?

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:32 AM
Paul Yi
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My Gmail account has been hacked...

I lost the count how many years...
But, I think it as been more than 10 years at least....

BTW, i wasn't offended.... so, no worry....

I spent almost a whole day, creating new Gmail, and changing the info on various websites I joined as a member....
I already received over a dozen private messages, saying that they received a strange e-mail from me....

It is one of those days, I guess.....

Mar 14, 2012 at 01:22 AM
Sam tran
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My Gmail account has been hacked...

In your email, do you said needed $2800 for D800 or $3500 for 5DIII ?
I stopped using Gmail after they changed the rules, allowed them to scan my email. Yikes!

Mar 14, 2012 at 02:22 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My Gmail account has been hacked...

I closed all my Facebook and Google related accounts recently. The privacy invasion going on at the moment is really scary, a real war of data, and I am taking up arms against it.

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:20 AM
lamonica66
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My Gmail account has been hacked...

Hacked last week too.

Mar 14, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My Gmail account has been hacked...

Also gmail?

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:02 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My Gmail account has been hacked...

Sam tran wrote:
I stopped using Gmail after they changed the rules, allowed them to scan my email. Yikes!

When I heard about this it scared me too, so I've never used gmail. I have an account recently, but only for google related stuff, it's not one I use.

What do people use for emails here? I've always used hotmail, and have my work email forwarded to hotmail too. Never had any issues with it, it works well for me.

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Jason OConnell
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My Gmail account has been hacked...

Im sorry to hear that, I hope you get this sorted out somehow.

I dont want to sound like im nitpicking but gmail was launched about 8 years ago in April of 2004.

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My Gmail account has been hacked...

I simply have assumed that any semblance of privacy over email/ internet/ phone disappeared after Sept. 11, 2001. To think that govt and corporate access to any of this info has not existed seems a little na´ve.

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:53 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My Gmail account has been hacked...

carstenw wrote:
I closed all my Facebook and Google related accounts recently. The privacy invasion going on at the moment is really scary, a real war of data, and I am taking up arms against it.

How are you doing that?

"just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you."
Joseph Heller/ Catch-22

Mar 14, 2012 at 12:59 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My Gmail account has been hacked...

Sorry to read about this major inconvenience for you Paul. I can sympathize, though was more fortunate.

I browse Gizmodo from time to time, signed up to comment on their commenting system, used my gmail as log-in and the same password as the email log-in. Then they were hacked. I forgot I had signed up with them, and that it was my gmail, therefore it didn't click to change the pw when word of the Gawker hack got out... Don't remember when that was, but about a year ago, I received a spam message sent from my own gmail account... I immediately logged-in and changed the password. Luckily the hacker hadn't already done so, or wasn't interested in doing so after the first spam emission. Gmail allows you to check log-in history, which I did, and the hacker used a Chinese IP address... Anyway, since then I have significantly diversified my passwords. One positive result from the hack was hearing from a number of people I hadn't been in contact with for a while...

As for Google... don't log-in to their services while you're also surfing. That won't eliminate all of their tracking, but it should keep your identity somewhat disassociated. Consider using another different browser dedicated just to online Google apps and any other similar services where you need to log in. Use a proxy site for Google search, such as Startpage: https://startpage.com especially if you need to do searches on sensitive matters, such as your health, finances, etc... Install a bug blocker, such as Ghostery, to block the myriad of scripts tracking your browsing habits... It's interesting to see the number of tracking/ad scripts on various sites.

Mar 14, 2012 at 01:47 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · My Gmail account has been hacked...

Tariq Gibran wrote:
How are you doing that?

"just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you."
Joseph Heller/ Catch-22

Love that book.

I don't know about Carsten, but I am using a VPN service to encrypt 100% of my Internet traffic and "source" it from an entirely different country. This removes the burden of privacy from my ISP. When I really, really want to remain anonymous, I use TOR on top of the VPN. TOR is free and VPN services run about $7/month. Get a router that can take DD-WRT firmware and then run OpenVPN on it. I can run usenet and torrents at full speed through it - basically no speed hit.

On top of this, I cancelled Facebook, twitter, etc.and I plan to migrate my email from Gmail back to my own server pronto. The convenience and stability of Gmail lured me in a couple years ago, but I would much rather have complete control of the security of my email. Postfix is not that difficult to configure.

Mar 14, 2012 at 01:52 PM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · My Gmail account has been hacked...

Yes, I agree about using a vpn and setting up your own domain and email. I guess you've heard about Bill C-30 in Canada: http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/6335/125/

Mar 14, 2012 at 02:22 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · My Gmail account has been hacked...

cogitech wrote:
I don't know about Carsten, but I am using a VPN service to encrypt 100% of my Internet traffic and "source" it from an entirely different country. This removes the burden of privacy from my ISP. When I really, really want to remain anonymous, I use TOR on top of the VPN. TOR is free and VPN services run about $7/month. Get a router that can take DD-WRT firmware and then run OpenVPN on it. I can run usenet and torrents at full speed through it - basically no speed hit.

On top of this, I cancelled Facebook, twitter, etc.and I
...Show more

I have done the same thing with TOR for sensitive browsing in the past and perhaps I will move all my email from gmail to my domain email or my own server. In the end, I do wonder if all this might be in vain - if someone with resources wants to find you or your activity, I suspect they can. So I often just cave to the luxury of convenience.

Mar 14, 2012 at 02:36 PM
Jacob D
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · My Gmail account has been hacked...

Sorry to hear about that. My ymail account was hacked about 2 months ago, same type of thing except they didn't change my password. I was able to get the account back, so far so good, except I'm paranoid about the whole incident as I use that email address for accessing several sites, and in some cases the same PW too (changed now of course).

I really wonder how hackers do this? I never give out the password and I sort of doubt that it was a random brute force attack (I could be wrong), so does that mean people are intercepting login information, for example when I'm at the coffee shop and check my email on my phone?

Of equal or greater concern is the amount of personal data I can find by googling my name. What an uphill battle that has been to get it all removed. The tactics of some of these so called 'phone book' sites are borderline illegal, such as requiring that one registers with them in order to have personal data removed... and the registration process requires even more personal information! Sorry about the rant, but the privacy invasion thing gets me going...

Mar 14, 2012 at 02:59 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password