Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · ST-E2 for Radio popper?

esanchez
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ST-E2 for Radio popper?

I just got some RP P1 to play around with and was wondering what is the benefit of having a 580 on the camera hot shoe as opposed to a ST-E2 transmitter. What can I do with the 580 that I can't do with the ST-E2?

I currently have a 580EX I, and a 430EX I, and was wondering what to add a second 580EX I or II or a ST-E2 to take advantage of both flashes off camera. I hate to use a 580EX just as a master and never have it fire.

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:48 AM
teebat
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ST-E2 for Radio popper?

With the ST-E2 you can only do Ettl, when using a flash as the master you can dial in a manual power setting and use Ettl.

Mar 13, 2012 at 04:36 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ST-E2 for Radio popper?

esanchez wrote:
...What can I do with the 580 that I can't do with the ST-E2?

The 580EX can command up to three groups (A, B, and C), but the ST-E2 can only command two (A & B).

Mar 13, 2012 at 08:13 PM
esanchez
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ST-E2 for Radio popper?

To Teebat...so FEC on camera is different from dialing in power from the flash

I'm not interested in groups. Can I control the off camera flash let's say the 430EX as well with the ST-E2 that I can with a 580EX.... Power wise??

Mar 15, 2012 at 01:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ST-E2 for Radio popper?

esanchez wrote:
...so FEC on camera is different from dialing in power from the flash? ...Can I control the off camera flash let's say the 430EX as well with the ST-E2 [as] I can with a 580EX.... Power wise??

The difference is that the ST-E2 is ETTL only; no manual control.

While you can vary the power by using FEC, it is still measuring the subject reflectance first, assigning an output level, and then modifying that level by the + or - FEC amount. If a person steps into the frame wearing a black shirt, the flash output can be different than if he or she is wearing a white shirt.

If you're using a 580EX as Master, you can set an actual power level -- from Full power to 1/128th power (1/64th on the 430EX) -- and it will be fixed at that level regardless of subject reflectance.

Mar 15, 2012 at 03:52 AM
James Taylor
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ST-E2 for Radio popper?

BrianO wrote:
The difference is that the ST-E2 is ETTL only; no manual control.

While you can vary the power by using FEC, it is still measuring the subject reflectance first, assigning an output level, and then modifying that level by the + or - FEC amount. If a person steps into the frame wearing a black shirt, the flash output can be different than if he or she is wearing a white shirt.

If you're using a 580EX as Master, you can set an actual power level -- from Full power to 1/128th power (1/64th on the 430EX) -- and it will be
...Show more

BrianO,

I'm a little confused. Are you saying you can control a 430EX in manual from your 580EX on camera (power settings)? You could change the 430EX from half power to full using the 580EX on the camera?

JT

Mar 15, 2012 at 04:02 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ST-E2 for Radio popper?

James Taylor wrote:
I'm a little confused. Are you saying you can control a 430EX in manual from your 580EX on camera (power settings)? You could change the 430EX from half power to full using the 580EX on the camera?

That's correct.

I use a 7D now, and it's all done from the camera's Flash Control menu, but on older cameras that lack this feature you can do it from the flash's control panel. You set the remote flash to a Group (probably B or C), and then on the Master you scroll to that Group and then set the power level. You'll see the Power Level indicator on the Master's control panel change from -- in your example -- "1/2" to "1/1" for that Group.

If you had three off-camera Speedlites, you could assign one to Group A, one to B, and one to C, and set each one's manual power to a different level, in 1/3-stop increments, all from the Master flash (which can be a Master-capable Speedlite, or the pop-up flash of some cameras).

The process is a little confusing/counterintuitive, because you use the "Ratio" feature even though you aren't actually setting a ratio in the strict sense as you would in ETTL mode.

Here's a screen shot of the 580EX II's Instruction Manual that explains it, and below that is the 7D Manual's page on using the camera menu to do it:

Mar 15, 2012 at 04:17 AM
James Taylor
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ST-E2 for Radio popper?

Good to know! Thanks!!

Mar 15, 2012 at 05:45 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password