Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Weekly assignment 306: Overhead
Deadline: August 20th noon UTC/GMT

WA Rules ยท Current entries

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · #492 Under The Bridge and Round The Bend ...

RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · #492 Under The Bridge and Round The Bend ...

Just a little country bridge over the tracks.

Mar 11, 2012 at 08:11 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · #492 Under The Bridge and Round The Bend ...

risky shot!

I think the focus being on the track hurts a little, the bridge really becomes background, and not a big part of the image. I like it as a stand alone image, it has a sense of tension and you hope the shooter gets out of the way soon!

Mar 12, 2012 at 06:12 AM
mark fadely
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · #492 Under The Bridge and Round The Bend ...

It is a cool shot with a lot of tension. I agree with Travis that the bridge is more of a background element, but I can image the bridge still working well for the theme within this composition with some minor tweaks.

Mar 12, 2012 at 07:13 AM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · #492 Under The Bridge and Round The Bend ...

Nice shot, makes me wanna play my Johnny Cash records.

Mar 12, 2012 at 09:36 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · #492 Under The Bridge and Round The Bend ...

Thanks guys ... good to hear that the tension comes through.

Yes, the bridge is intentionally rendered as "supporting cast" ... I was trying to stick to the theme without taking a "picture of a bridge". I wanted the DOF to present an element of relative distance from near to far.

The next frame would have been even closer (hence the selected pre-determined focal point), but I had a misfire due to the camera still buffering and had to "bail". It is only three seconds from the bridge to the camera @ train speed. The good news is that the terrain is sloped AWAY from the tracks, so it was easy to move quickly back to the truck in under two seconds (practiced many times with stopwatch).

I was set up for a more distant focal point for the next train, but ... unfortunately, this was the only train to come THIS direction in 5 hours of waiting (4 from the other direction). Then the Sheriff showed up and asked me to leave ... see Pro Forum for details.

I envision that I'll devise a "camera recover" mechanism (rope/pulley/sled/etc/??) that I can use from a safer distance ... THIS IS DEFINITELY A HAZARDOUS ENDEAVOR ... DON"T TRY THIS !!! (I fell on the tracks a couple days ago just walking along ... YOU NEVER KNOW !!!)

Although I will do more of it ... just get smarter as I go ... the worst part on this one was the trains coming from the OTHER direction as they were travelling at nearly 50 MPH (stopwatch calculated) and were coming from around a different bend that I could not see as far. For those, I had to move TOWARD the tracks (while I'd been waiting in the truck), grab the camera, then move AWAY from the tracks. This was the most dangerous part, should I have slipped while moving toward the tracks.

The ones coming from this direction are only up to about 35 MPH as they haven't built up to full speed yet and I only need to move AWAY from the tracks (pick up tripod and step downhill).

I had a lot of time to think at what I wish I had for safety, yet still be able to get the angle I wanted. A little creative engineering should do the trick to be able to "pull" the camera out of harms way ... with me at a much safer distance for future shots.

Hope you like it ...

Mar 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · #492 Under The Bridge and Round The Bend ...

RustyBug wrote:
Thanks guys ... good to hear that the tension comes through.

Yes, the bridge is intentionally rendered as "supporting cast" ... I was trying to stick to the theme without taking a "picture of a bridge". I wanted the DOF to present an element of relative distance from near to far.

The next frame would have been even closer (hence the selected pre-determined focal point), but I had a misfire due to the camera still buffering and had to "bail". It is only three seconds from the bridge to the camera @ train speed. The good news is that the terrain is
...Show more

Hazard pay approved

Mar 13, 2012 at 09:42 AM
GCasey
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · #492 Under The Bridge and Round The Bend ...

Would the railroad be a potential customer for your train photos? Their dispatcher could also let you know their schedule so you would not have to wait so long. Or not, based on your 'mis-gjuided deputy' experience.

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:17 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · #492 Under The Bridge and Round The Bend ...

I went and read the thread in the Pro Corner...wow, I think I would be livid, and exploring all avenues to clear my name, and to make sure that officer didn't harass anyone else.

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:18 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · #492 Under The Bridge and Round The Bend ...

Thanks guys.

My name is good (actually improved through the earnest dialogue) ... "no blood, no foul" ... just had to take an "officials time-out" to sort through it all ... they "picked up the flag".

Yes, I would really like to work more directly with the RR ... just clueless @ where/how to go about it.

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:27 AM
BennyR
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · #492 Under The Bridge and Round The Bend ...

I like shots like this. They do frown on it though. I get asked to leave when getting even close to the tracks. I do like this stuff though. Just need to devise the perfect method.

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Travis Rhoads
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · #492 Under The Bridge and Round The Bend ...

good to hear it all got sorted.

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:36 AM

FM Forums | Weekly Assignments | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.