Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Have a 5D3/1DX AF question? Look here...

arbitrage
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Have a 5D3/1DX AF question? Look here...

I did this post in another thread but thought it would be helpful for others to have all these links in one place and be able to read everything about these complex cameras. Mostly about the AF and metering systems.

I'm going to post my current reference links for the 5D3 and 1DX. These are the links that I keep going back to when answering questions on this forum.

There is only one wrong piece of info in these and that is on the the cpn europe articles for both the 5D3 and 1DX. There is a line that says the outer 20 points are x-type at f/4 and f/5.6 but this is absolutely wrong. These points (10 per side, middle 2x5 grid of the 4x5 grid) are x-type at f/4 and better but only line type at f/5.6. See the dpreview link for the best and easiest way to understand what points do what at what apertures.

Links:
1) CanonUSA 5D3 articles (more articles at bottom of page) Rudy Winston http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/products/eos_5d_markiii/eos_5d_markiii.shtml?categoryId=14
2) Canon USA 1DX articles (also more at bottom of page) Rudy Winston http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/products/eos_1d_x/eos_1d_x.shtml?categoryId=14
3)CPN europe on 1DX http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/eos_1d_x_explained.do
4)CPN europe on 5D3 http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/inside_canon_eos_5d_mark_iii.do
5)DPReview preview for 5D3 http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkiii/

If you read all this a couple times then you will understand the new AF and metering and the differences between the 5D3 and 1DX very well. Still waiting for the manual to be released for either camera because that will tie it all together.

EDIT: Adding the planet5D Chuck Westfall interview. Thanks to RobertLynn from the other thread: http://blog.planet5d.com/2012/03/questions-answered-for-the-canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-hdmi-video/

Edited on Mar 11, 2012 at 03:26 PM · View previous versions

Mar 11, 2012 at 02:12 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Have a 5D3/1DX AF question? Look here...

Nice Work - thanks!

Mar 11, 2012 at 02:33 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Have a 5D3/1DX AF question? Look here...

Thanks,
The one question I still have and will need the manual to figure out is how the points can be restricted. With the previous 45pt system you could set it to just use 19pts and I think even less like 5 or something. There is a line seen in the menu screenshots that seems to be for this. Chuck Westfall in some video (can't recall where, either on engadget or planet5D) said you can limit the camera to just use x-type depending on the lens but not sure if you can limit the points in other ways. We do know it is basically like the 7D with the different types of modes: all pts, zone, expansion(2 options 4 or 8 pts), and spot. Also don't fully understand if it can track in expansion mode across the entire range. i.e. will the initial point selected in AF expansion (AI servo of course) hand off to another and change it to the center of the expansion and then keep passing off as the subject moves across the frame? CF III 8-3 does this on the 1D4 but the 7D can't do this. The 7D only passes off in "all points" and AF zone modes but the problem with these two modes is they always look for the closest thing to focus on. AF expansion mode is better because it tries to stay with the initial subject. I think the 1DX will be the best in this because of its colour/face tracking mode tied in with its better metering system. Maybe this will be the one thing the 5D3 won't have when it comes to the AF compared to 1DX. Only the manuals will let us know.

Mar 11, 2012 at 02:43 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Have a 5D3/1DX AF question? Look here...

Bumping up to the first page...just for people to see as I think it will cut down on the number of 5D3 threads

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:16 AM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Have a 5D3/1DX AF question? Look here...

Some more cool stuff from the 5D3 manual taken from my other post in the manual thread:

I'm still finishing reading the CF section of the manual but noticed some great new customizablility and new features never before in a Camera I've owned (7D and 5D2) but maybe 1 series has some of these.

AE Lock (hold): this keeps the lock on without holding down the AE lock button for as many shots/recompose etc until you press the button again. (i really have always wanted this)

AF switch to registered AF function: this allows you to save a complete set of AF paramaters and while using a different set just hit the button and it switches to your registered(memorized) set. Very cool to have two AF algorithms available with a single button press. Used to just be able to switch from one shot to servo (which is also still an option)

Set ISO speed: Hold the set button and spin the top dial. Even when in auto ISO this will override and change to whatever you set. And says it can be used in M mode to quickly change the ISO and therefore exposure while maintaining the SS and Av. (this makes the ISO auto argument less strong as it is now easier to do your own EC in M mode than it was previously having to push the small ISO button and then spin the dial)

Set ISO speed during metering (uses the main back wheel): same as above but different way, now once metering is happening you just spin the main dial (usually the EC dial) and it changes the ISO instead of SS like with EC. This is even easier than above and I think then will basically become in Av or Tv modes the way to do EC with ISO instead of SS like it usually does. Very cool

And of course now that the manual is out we know you can limit it to 19 pts or 5points or just x-type. It also seems to imply that you can track in AF expansion mode like the 1D4 could with CF III 8-3 (in the 1D4). Although I'm still not 100% sure about this. We also know that you really need to refer to the chart to find out what points your particular lens can use. 100L macro can't use the 5 super awesome points even though it is an f/2.8 and very new lens.

Mar 17, 2012 at 02:12 PM
aaronlam
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Have a 5D3/1DX AF question? Look here...

Now the the 1Dx is readily available... Any real life comparisons to the 5DIII in regards to AF? Sorry if I missed in my search.

Aug 26, 2012 at 06:44 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password