Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 18-35/3.5-4.5 ED IF -- Ghosting Bummer!

Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · 18-35/3.5-4.5 ED IF -- Ghosting Bummer!

I recently bought a nice used version of the 18-35 and had hopes that I'd be able to use as an all-around lens. The lens is very good if no pronounced light sources are in the images, and best at f/6.3 and 7.1 (diffraction softening starts to be noticeable at f/8).

Images processed in LR3 and Photomatix -- but ghost were present in individual images.

Here's a version shot a little earlier, where the ghosts aren't so contrasty againt opposite dark areas. (Sorry for the HDR artifact line above the hills.)

Daytime shots of with the lens are pretty terrific within the best aperture range.

Mar 10, 2012 at 03:39 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · 18-35/3.5-4.5 ED IF -- Ghosting Bummer!

Those lights are very bright compared to the background. You are asking a lot from any lens, especially an inexpensive old wide zoom. Next time try shooting a bit earlier when the natural light is brighter or composite an earlier shot with one at night if the lights don't turn on soon enough.

EBH

Mar 10, 2012 at 04:44 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · 18-35/3.5-4.5 ED IF -- Ghosting Bummer!

EB-1 -- Thanks for the suggestion, but I've had no problems when shooting with my Canon L lenses, or the Nikon 12-24/4 DX. My lens isn't all that old according to Nikon serial #s. But I know it was made as the poor man's alternative to the 17-35/2.8.

Taking an earlier photo isn't really acceptable if you are trying to capture the colorful twilight lighting, at least from my experience. But I've taken pictures well after the sky has gone dark without such pronounced ghosts.

Here are a few other shots where there isn't such prominent distracting lights.

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:42 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password