Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Help Syncing Flashes (TT1 & TT5)

idyfohu
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help Syncing Flashes (TT1 & TT5)

I'm hoping someone can lend me a hand here (I posted this in the Nikon forum as well, so sorry for the double post but I'm realizing the post is more about syncing with PWs than it is Nikon)...

I normally don't shoot my flashes while on camera, but I'm shooting an event tomorrow and am planning on having a SB-900 on-camera and then triggering two SB-900s off-camera.

The idea is to have the on-camera SB-900 on TTL and then have the additional (2) off-camera SB-900 cameras on Manual for the remainder of the night. I was hoping to be able to use my AC3 on camera but forgot the TT1 has to have a flash on top of the hotshoe to connect, so that's no longer an option.

My setup is a TT1 and (2) TT5 setup and 3x SB-900

So as it's setup right now: Camera / TT1 / SB-900

And then for the SB-900s Off-Camera: Lightstand / TT5 / SB-900

The problem I'm running into is the SB-900 on-camera will fire just fine, but the SB-900s off-camera aren't firing (they're all on the same channels (A & 1) and I'm stumped.

Hoping someone can help shed some light (no pun intended) for me.

Thanks in advance!

Mar 10, 2012 at 04:44 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help Syncing Flashes (TT1 & TT5)

Try putting the two off-camera TT5s on different channels from the on camera flash. Put the off-camera flashes on B, or B&C.

Mar 10, 2012 at 05:26 AM
idyfohu
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Help Syncing Flashes (TT1 & TT5)

hondageek wrote:
Try putting the two off-camera TT5s on different channels from the on camera flash. Put the off-camera flashes on B, or B&C.

Thanks...tried that. No dice stil..

Can't think of what's wrong. Getting so frustrated. Ugh. Anyone want to trade for PWIIs.

Mar 10, 2012 at 05:56 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Help Syncing Flashes (TT1 & TT5)

Just to double check...are your remote flashes set to iTTL mode, and also NOT in slave mode? If it's the same as with the Canon version, and if I recall correctly, the flashes have to be set in TTL mode to receive the correct codes from the TT5s, even if you want to adjust the power levels manually. (You set "Manual" on the TT1, but not on the flash itself.)

Oh, wait, that won't work without the Zone Controller I think. Hmm.

I think I am right about needing the remote flashes to be set in local rather than slave mode, but I'm not sure about mixing on-camera TTL with off-camera manual.

Mar 10, 2012 at 05:59 AM
idyfohu
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Help Syncing Flashes (TT1 & TT5)

Brian...

Thanks for the reply.

Yup, all flashes are set to iTTL mode. You're spot-on...they have to be in iTTL mode in order to communicate with the TT1/TT5. I tried setting the on-camera flash to Master while connected to the TT1 and it wouldn't fire at all. Switch it back to iTTL or "On" on the SB-900 and it fires flawlessly.

Now if I could just sync it to the TT5s and their respective flashes I'd be happy.

Mar 10, 2012 at 06:23 AM
Greg Mangione

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Help Syncing Flashes (TT1 & TT5)

When you hit the "test" button on the TT1, do the flashes fire then? I've been doing a fair bit of shooting with a friends setup on Nikon. EVERY time everything has worked flawlessly. He has the AC3...I'm not quite understanding why you say you have to have a flash on top of the TT1 to connect? OR are you saying you WANT a flash on camera? We shoot with the AC3 on the TT1 and the flashes all set in TTL mode (normal "on" not master or slave). After turning each unit on, there seems to be a quick, and seemingly automatic, Sync and then we're good to go. I do always hit the test on the TT1 to ensure the radio's are talking to each other. Since I did not do the initial setup, I am unaware if there is an initial "learning" process you must do between the TT1 and TT5's when you first start using them. We are operating up to 5 SB900's and an Einstein all using the TT5's. (BTW, the AC3 is totally awesome for being able to switch from TTL to manual control and/or mix/match your groups!)
Try without the flash on top of the camera once?
This probably isn't any help, but maybe you will find a useful tidbit in all this?

Mar 10, 2012 at 06:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Greg Mangione

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Help Syncing Flashes (TT1 & TT5)

Oh, if I recall correctly....If the flash and the TT5 are communicating correctly with each other, the flash will go into iTTL mode...if not, the flash will be in manual or plain TTL mode (whatever the flash would be in if it were on but off camera...I don't remember exactly)...so you should be able to at least make sure that isn't the issue. Also, when you hit the test button on the TT5 with a flash connected, the flash should fire...again verifying the connection there is correct.
There is also the "C1/C2" (As I recall) switch that is near the group (A,B,C) switch) which would have to be the same on all.
Again, this is all from memory and it's been a week or two since I was last shooting with that setup so someone correct me if/where I am wrong or missing info.

Greg

Mar 10, 2012 at 06:45 AM
Mr Kris
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Help Syncing Flashes (TT1 & TT5)

Well, I just tried it, and it worked, but it was finicky.

Master flash (an SB910, but should be the same as 900, on the TT1) set to commander mode. On the SB910 menu, I set the local flash to TTL, and channels A and B to manual.

Remote flashes on TT5's in TTL mode. Each TT5 set to A or B channel.

Now, here's the weird part. After a few presses, the test button on the TT1 would fire all 3 flashes as expected. But, after doing that, and taking a frame- no dice. Nothing flashed. So, I let the camera sleep. And then hit the shutter again, without hitting the test button, and the 2nd shot and those thereafter all worked OK.

I've never actually used this in practice. Here's what I do... and maybe it seems like a silly use of a PW but..... I put the TT1 or TT5 on my camera, and then go ahead and use my AC3 controller. It's SOOO much easier than the menu system in the 900/910. Then, I have a bracket (one of the ones that just goes to the side, custom brackets mini rc) with a TT5 and my "local" flash on it. So yeah..... I use a PW to trigger a flash that's mounted to my camera on a bracket, inches away from the transmitter. But I have extra PW's anyway, and it lets me use the AC3.

Mar 10, 2012 at 06:47 AM
Greg Mangione

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Help Syncing Flashes (TT1 & TT5)

Ok, SORRY for the multiple posts....
It's possible the test/learn button may have been used accidentally and changed the frequency of one but not the others. I'll PM you a link to the manual online, or you can go to the PW site which has access to the manuals.
Hope you get it sorted out.
Take care.
Greg

Mar 10, 2012 at 06:52 AM
idyfohu
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Help Syncing Flashes (TT1 & TT5)

You guys are awesome...I actually figured it out right before I saw your posts.

SB-900 on-cam has to be in Master mode and my stupid SU-4 setting was turned on, which threw a wrench into the mix. Turned it off, remote SB-900s on TT5s are just set as normal and it all works great! Whew, so relieved!

Thanks for everyone's help!

Mar 10, 2012 at 06:59 AM
idyfohu
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Help Syncing Flashes (TT1 & TT5)

And to answer your questions...I normally use this setup flawlessly with the TT1 and AC3 connected. It's great, easily adjustable, and is reliable.

However, this setup differed because I want/need to use a SB-900 on- camera along with the remote flashes (shooting a wedding and wanting to try a new setup).

Sincerely you guys (Kris, thanks for pulling out the setup and trying it out as well!), you're awesome! Now I should probably change out the batteries after all of that frustrating and pointless failed testing. Ha!

Crossing my fingers everything goes smoothly tomorrow.

Mar 10, 2012 at 07:03 AM
James Taylor
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Help Syncing Flashes (TT1 & TT5)

So you were able to have the on camera flash in TTL with the TT1 and the off camera flashes in manual with the TT5s? For some reason I thought the slaves would follow whatever the master was doing? How did it work out?

Mar 13, 2012 at 05:03 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password