New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Strange Request or Not

capt don
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Strange Request or Not

I have been contacted by a client who has a 24 x 36 oil painting that they want reproduced in
4" x 6" post card size and in 24 x 36 prints to be given to donors. Is it possible to set this up and photograph properly or should it be sent somewhere to be copied and prints made from that. I've shot paintings before with mixed results. This has to be really good.

Mar 09, 2012 at 06:56 PM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Strange Request or Not

I do some of that kind of work - shoot paintings and create giclees for artists. I use the 100 f/2.8 Macro lens. I put up a neutral background some distance behind the table where the painting is set up and include a gray card in the frame. It's important to seat the painting as near vertical as possible and light the whole surface as evenly as possible. (If necessary, you can suspend the painting on wires from above; also, if the painting is just a little off vertical, you can fix the perspective in Photoshop). Normally you want to avoid picking up reflections off the varnished surface.

You shouldn't have a problem enlarging and reducing the image for different purposes.

Mar 09, 2012 at 08:28 PM
capt don
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Strange Request or Not

PJ Thanks for the help I'll try it with my 100mm macro and also my 90mm t&s and my 5d II

Mar 10, 2012 at 07:29 AM
pjbishop
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Strange Request or Not

Don, should have added that you need to orient your camera to the same vertical as the subject.

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:21 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Strange Request or Not

You're probably going to want to light this properly - with Polarizers over both the lights and another over the lens. In addition, this is one area where you'll want to use a light meter to get the lighting even to with two or three tenths of a stop across the painting. You generally do need the Polarizers with oil painting or you'll get some really interesting reflections off the paint.

There's not a single Canon digital camera (and it appears you have Canons although your profile doesn't say which) that will be good for a 24 x36 print from art and look really great. What I have done more times than I can count is to use the 90 T/S and stitch three frames together on a 1DsMIII to make the equivalent of about a 40 mp file. Shoot it at f/11 to make sure the corners are still sharp with the shift and use Live View to focus. Your stitch is a vertical stitch on a horizontal frame and it works fantastically well with that lens. You wind up with the equivalent of a 36x48 mm sensor.

Mar 10, 2012 at 03:34 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Strange Request or Not

Forgot to add, that you can use an angle finder to set your camera to the exact same angle as the painting, if the art is not fully vertical. It's a little trickier to get the side to side right if you're shooting horizontally, but really easy if you're looking straight down on it.

Mar 10, 2012 at 03:44 PM
rsk7
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Strange Request or Not

Are you doing this for the artist who painted the painting?

Seems like copyright infringement similar to someone photographing someone else's photograph and then reproducing it if not. Might want to double check that to make sure they have rights to reproduce it to make sure you don't get into some trouble.

Mar 10, 2012 at 05:04 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Strange Request or Not

I was thinking along the same lines. Presumably the owner of a painting also owns the copyright, but its a good idea to check.

Mar 11, 2012 at 02:05 AM
capt don
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Strange Request or Not

Yes the group that has the painting says they have a release from the painter but i'm going to ask to see it first and get a copy for my records, I don't need any trouble for a freebie job.

Mar 11, 2012 at 07:05 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.