Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · What kind of photography with a D800?

fpimentel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · What kind of photography with a D800?

Since the announcement of the two new Nikon SLRS (D4 and D800) I have been looking for more specific information about both cameras. I do have a D3s that has about 50,000 clicks that I expect to use for at least two more years. For someone who is just an amateur and who does not make any money shooting pictures, spending $6000 in a D4 is not very rational given that in comparison to the D3s the changes in the new D4 have not been that significant. On the other hand, the D800 looks more attractive as a second body (I did sell my D700 last year) not only for its price but because it represents a significant technological enhancement vis-à-vis the D700.

The questions that I am still unable to answer are the following. For what kind of photography would be the D800 a good choice? I assume that for landscapes and for studio photography a D800 could be a “perfect” camera. What about bird and wildlife photography? I have asked some of my bird photographer friends and their opinions are not the same. Some believe that more pixels and higher resolution is always better while others think that a 36 MP sensor for bird photography is a waste of pixels. I am especially concerned with the sizes of the RAW files shooting with a D800 since you may need a lot of GBs in your memory card to save those files. And the other issue is the question of the anti-aliasing filter. I assume that without the AA filter you can get better IQ and more details in your images. The issue of Moiré does not seem to be that serious for bird and wildlife photography since it seems to be a potential problem when people shot patterned objects (like cloth and fibers) rather than animals and birds. I may be wrong but that is the impression that I have after reading about Moiré.

Anyway, I would like to hear ideas and opinions about the usage of the D800 (or D800e) for wildlife and bird photography. Do you think that a D800 or D800e would be a good body for wildlife photography (using lenses above 300mm)?

Thank you for your ideas,

FP

Mar 09, 2012 at 11:33 PM
plubbry
• • •
p.1 #2 · What kind of photography with a D800?

I'd expect the D800 (incl. e version) would be great for wildlife photography. The traditional argument for shooting DX for wildlife was the higher pixel density and thus more pixels on a distant or small subject. The D800 is just shy of the D7000 as far as pixel density is concerned. Shoot in FX mode if you're able to get close enough to your subject. If your subject is farther away and you don't want 'wasted' pixels on the edges switch over to 1.2 or DX crop modes.

Mar 09, 2012 at 11:44 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · What kind of photography with a D800?

Personally, I'm planning to use my D800 for wildlife. When I went from a D3 to a D3x, I discovered I really liked the extra resolution. Not only was I capturing more detail, but I also had more headroom to crop if needed.

The only drawback to the D800 I can really see would be for birds in flight - 4FPS is maybe just ittle slow if you're trying to catch a wing beat that's "just right". The buffer is not even close to a match for the D4, but it's not terrible (17 in lossless compressed RAW I believe). For static animals, D800 all the way for in flight or active, I'd probably prefer the D4, but it all depends.

The nice thing is the D800 looks to have pretty sweet high ISO capability, the only real drawback to the D3x.

As for which one, I'd probably favor the D800 over the "e" version. Not sure if feathers might cause problems without an AA filter.

Mar 09, 2012 at 11:48 PM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · What kind of photography with a D800?

I don't see why it wouldn't be good for wildlife. More pixels is more pixels.

Mar 09, 2012 at 11:49 PM
fpimentel
• •
p.1 #5 · What kind of photography with a D800?

plubbry wrote:
I'd expect the D800 (incl. e version) would be great for wildlife photography. The traditional argument for shooting DX for wildlife was the higher pixel density and thus more pixels on a distant or small subject. The D800 is just shy of the D7000 as far as pixel density is concerned. Shoot in FX mode if you're able to get close enough to your subject. If your subject is farther away and you don't want 'wasted' pixels on the edges switch over to 1.2 or DX crop modes.

Which model do you think would be better for wildlife, the plain D800 or the D800e? I don't think that moiré would be a serious problem shooting wildlife and birds. And I am willing to pay the extra $300 if I can get better IQ (better details) with the D800e.

FP

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:05 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · What kind of photography with a D800?

Well, I think it can do many types of photography. Wildlife, landscapes, street, vacations, etc.

I have a D700 which has been working fine for me and I have shot:
- Landscapes
- People
- Theater
- Vacations
- Family
- Sports

The D800 can do all I need - in fact the main reasons for me to upgrade would be:
- 100% viewfinder
- Increased AF sensor sensitivity
- Potentially greater DR
- Dual card slots
- Lighter
- Slightly smaller
- Video

Notice that 36MP was not in that list.

I think that if anything it's not a studio queen of a camera, though I'm sure it will be used in the studio by many

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:28 AM
Ryder
• • •
p.1 #7 · What kind of photography with a D800?

Just make really BIG prints of whatever you shoot.

Mar 10, 2012 at 01:01 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #8 · What kind of photography with a D800?

I will be using it for studio, sports, and landscapes. For me it seems like a perfect camera. The 1.2 crop mode for field sports will yield me 24MP at 5fps. My D3x served me well for the past 3 years, it will become a backup if the d800 is all that we hope it is.

Mar 10, 2012 at 01:10 AM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #9 · What kind of photography with a D800?

Steve Perry
The nice thing is the D800 looks to have pretty sweet high ISO capability, the only real drawback to the D3x

I ordered the D800E for the reason Steve noted. I use both the D3s & D3x. Ideally I'd use the D4 and D800 in combo but I think the D800 shows the most positive difference vs the D3x. The price point helped as well. As far as the D800E used in wildlife photography I have read that moiré probably will not be an issue. I think it was on Thom Hogans site explaining his experience, if it is an issue I don't believe it will be often.

The additional resolution gain w/the D4 I think will be minimal, guess I'll have to see when the D4's get out there. Video not a real concern for myself and if it does the D800E should easily meet my needs. Another reason for staying with the D3s is not having to update batteries and cards. I have a V1 with extra batteries/SD cards that will work w/D800E
so for now thats not an extra cost.

Mar 10, 2012 at 01:16 AM
splathrop
• • •
p.1 #10 · What kind of photography with a D800?

Based on the images shown so far, I think there is some reason to expect the D800 will do a poor job with contrast except in situations with plenty of light. Where are the low EV RAW images that would prove otherwise? That might make it more of a studio camera than anything else. Time will tell.

Mar 10, 2012 at 01:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · What kind of photography with a D800?

whatever you think you can get away with. experiment. have fun.

Mar 10, 2012 at 01:55 AM
Derek Weston
• • •
p.1 #12 · What kind of photography with a D800?

splathrop wrote:
Based on the images shown so far, I think there is some reason to expect the D800 will do a poor job with contrast except in situations with plenty of light. Where are the low EV RAW images that would prove otherwise? That might make it more of a studio camera than anything else. Time will tell.

Don't see the technical reason for the camera struggling in contrast... but it'll be interesting to see. Not going to make a move until I see real users report back.

Mar 10, 2012 at 02:23 AM
fpimentel
• •
p.1 #13 · What kind of photography with a D800?

moonpeep wrote:
Don't see the technical reason for the camera struggling in contrast... but it'll be interesting to see. Not going to make a move until I see real users report back.

I am going to wait until the summer to buy the D800 or the D800e (anyway, the waiting lists for the camera in most Nikon retailers are pretty long) depending of the user reviews and more hard evidence.

Mar 10, 2012 at 03:52 AM
Dennis H.
• • •
p.1 #14 · What kind of photography with a D800?

fpimentel
If I were in your shoes and could afford it I would keep the D3s for low light work and get the D800 for every thing else. You are already using an FX camera so even if Nikon does come out with a high megapixel DX camera it might not interest you.
Amazon just open the pre orders again for the D800, I phoned and talked to them today and they said if you ordered now they would have a delivery date of March 27th. Apparently they are getting more D800 than they originally expected.
What we don’t know is how long Nikon has been manufacturing the D800, they might have enough stock to supply all or most of the initial orders. They had to expect that there would be a huge amount of orders.
Dennis

Mar 10, 2012 at 04:02 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #15 · What kind of photography with a D800?

The d800 samples, when downscaled, make the best 8mp files I have ever seen

Mar 10, 2012 at 05:00 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · What kind of photography with a D800?

I'd say the D800 will work for most everything within the realm of landscape and studio.

Mar 10, 2012 at 05:11 AM
Howard Kearley
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · What kind of photography with a D800?

Steve Perry wrote:
Personally, I'm planning to use my D800 for wildlife. When I went from a D3 to a D3x, I discovered I really liked the extra resolution. Not only was I capturing more detail, but I also had more headroom to crop if needed.

The only drawback to the D800 I can really see would be for birds in flight - 4FPS is maybe just ittle slow if you're trying to catch a wing beat that's "just right". The buffer is not even close to a match for the D4, but it's not terrible (17 in lossless compressed RAW I
...Show more

Well put Steve.
I also use D3x for wildlife and looking forward to D800

Howard

Mar 10, 2012 at 01:29 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #18 · What kind of photography with a D800?

Perhaps, because this is primarily a still camera forum,
we are not getting much response from those who will buying the D800 primarily for Video.
I intend to shoot HD1080P at 30fps at Events and Church Services.
I will also shoot Landscapes, especially wide like Grand Canyon.
The D800 will also be used for stills including Equestrian, Running and Motocross Events.
It will share the batteries and SDHC cards with my V1 and D7000, but will have it's own Compact Flash card in the second (overflow & Video) slot.

Mar 10, 2012 at 03:50 PM
NAVPHONE
• •
p.1 #19 · What kind of photography with a D800?

This camera will require the best glass you can afford. You may need a faster computer and for sure larger hard drives. So the cost of 3 grand may only be the starting point for a D800. Not to mention the much larger memory cards needed to feed the megapixel beast.

Mar 10, 2012 at 05:03 PM
lou f
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · What kind of photography with a D800?

Fp the d800 is bound to give the best results, but at some light level the d3s will over take it. 36mp you will need to take greater care, higher shutter speed, better tripod use, better lenses and apature choice... I sure you read Thoms review of his d3s/d3x use, he uses the s more. Regards the d800 contrast does the d7k have contrast issues? Also e over aa model if you go aa you'll always be thinking in the back of your mind I should have got the e.

I'm waiting for the reviews

Mar 10, 2012 at 06:06 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password