1       2       3              42      
       end

Archive 2012 · NEX Discussion Thread

sebboh
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.43 #1 · p.43 #1 · NEX Discussion Thread

joekraft wrote:
Is the aperture control of the NEX6 typical of the nex line (stop the lens down to the actual shooting aperture before the shot is taken), and if so, is this typical of all mirrorless systems? I didn't notice this until putting a ZE lens on the body, but now this is kind of driving me crazy, like, I kind of hate this.

It seems sony *tries* somewhat to keep the exposure in the screen/evf uniform, but it isn't 100% - the display dims quite a bit as you decrease the aperture.

I haven't seen this brought up in other threads, and
...Show more

yep, the NEX-6 works the same way. oddly, i've heard that alpha mount lenses used on a sony adapter on a NEX don't do this. some people like this and some people don't. the advantages of the lens stopping down before the shot are that you see exactly how the camera is metering the scene and the actual dof and focus. the disadvantage is that liveview get's less light and has to gain up the evf/lcd more. for lenses with focus shift focusing stopped down can help a lot, but for lenses that don't it can be easier to focus the lens wide open.

regarding the display dimming, it should compensate (though it's not instantaneus) till the actual exposure will be darker. in your screen is darker as you stop down and stays dark it mean your exposure will be dark too (the exception to this is extremely long exposures in low light). usually this occurs when you reach the point where auto iso or shutter speed can no longer compensate for the small aperture.

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:42 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.43 #2 · p.43 #2 · NEX Discussion Thread

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
You're using an adapter and a ZE lens? Not sure if those smart adapters can do what you prefer.

NEX lenses will AF wide open though.

actually this depends on the aperture and the amount of light. in good light at reasonable aperture NEX lenses will AF at working aperture i believe (i admit it's been forever since i used AF).

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:44 PM
joekraft
• • • •
p.43 #3 · p.43 #3 · NEX Discussion Thread

That is strange...

I guess with the stopped-down focusing, I'll jut have to get used to it then. It is heaps better than stopped down work with my canon after all. Thanks for the confirmation.

sebboh wrote
...oddly, i've heard that alpha mount lenses used on a sony adapter on a NEX don't do this. some people like this and some people don't. .

Jul 19, 2013 at 11:02 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.