Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              38      
       40              42       43       end

Archive 2012 · NEX Discussion Thread

StephenS_CP

Upload & Sell: Off
p.39 #1 · p.39 #1 · NEX Discussion Thread

Partitura -- if you are the "the official tour photographer", it will be prudent to have more than camera. From what you've described, you should be taking both the NEX and the Nikon along with spare batteries, cards, etc.

I have a NEX-7 and a several Canon DSLRs. I bought the NEX specifically to use in social situations to avoid the "...larger and more obtrusive..." impact and I've been pretty satisfied with it. But I'm not particularly in the position to need to to shoot quickly so I won't attempt to comment on the speed to focus aspect of your question.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:53 PM
morpheus2891
• • •
p.39 #2 · p.39 #2 · NEX Discussion Thread

Well the 28mm doesn't play well with NEX-7 so there is a good chance it will not play well (at least as far as color cast) on an FF NEX; a real bummer if you ask me since it's one of my favorite lenses on the NEX-6. I would guess the 45/2 and 90/2.8 shouldn't have any major problems and the 35/2 is a toss up (it was find on the 5N... never tried it on the 7). I didn't mention the zoom but that's because it so uncommon and unsupported by some adapters (and it apparently has corner issues at 35mm). Ultimately this is a guess on my part and a crude extrapolation from results (my own and published) with the NEX-7. Guess we'll have to wait and see what they announce at the end of 2013/beginning of 2014. In the mean time I plan on enjoying my NEX-6

lumis beans wrote:
Can someone speculate on how the G lenses might work with a future FF NEX--- the 28mm and up, at least?

Feb 21, 2013 at 01:24 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.39 #3 · p.39 #3 · NEX Discussion Thread

the 45 and 90 are known to work well on the NEX-7, I know sebboh shoots with the 45/7 combo regularly with no issues.

Feb 21, 2013 at 02:01 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.39 #4 · p.39 #4 · NEX Discussion Thread

The 28/2.8 & 45/2 look good on the 7, the 28 does minor color shift,
The FF should be better than the 7 if the designers listened to us all wine about the color shift, but only when it's in the hands of someone with WA RF lenses willed know for sure.

A new color choice for NEX

Feb 28, 2013 at 09:03 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.39 #5 · p.39 #5 · NEX Discussion Thread

Whenever I see something manufactured in hot pink, I reflexively think about breast cancer. Is that just me?

Mar 01, 2013 at 04:27 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.39 #6 · p.39 #6 · NEX Discussion Thread

freaklikeme wrote:
Whenever I see something manufactured in hot pink, I reflexively think about breast cancer. Is that just me?

me too.

Mar 01, 2013 at 05:01 AM
fracas
• •
p.39 #7 · p.39 #7 · NEX Discussion Thread

sebboh wrote:
the 7's evf is an order of magnitude better after you take it off the default settings (the default settings might be pretty good in a studio setting though?).

how can I change the default settings? tks, francesco

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:09 PM
MackDaddy1962
• • •
p.39 #8 · p.39 #8 · NEX Discussion Thread

fracas wrote:
how can I change the default settings? tks, francesco

If it's like the NEX-6, you can only adjust screen brightness. At least that's all I've found on mine...

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:11 PM
fracas
• •
p.39 #9 · p.39 #9 · NEX Discussion Thread

MackDaddy1962 wrote:
[If it's like the NEX-6, you can only adjust screen brightness. At least that's all I've found on mine...

Thanks, from the post quoted I thought there were other settings...

I have two more questions on the NEX-6:
1) in manual mode with an adapted MF lenes, how does the control dial work? can I set it for setting the shutter speed?
2) with NEX-7 I know that RF lenses start working without corner issues from 28-35 mm ...and with NEX-6? I am obviuolsly interested in understanding the behaviour of CV/ Zeiss/ leica UWA...

thanks, francesco

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:20 PM
MackDaddy1962
• • •
p.39 #10 · p.39 #10 · NEX Discussion Thread

I can't answer either of your questions Francesco, I just recently added the NEX-6 to my arsenal. I'm shooting all the new Sony AF glass with it (35/1.8 OSS, 50/1.8 OSS, 10-18/4 OSS.)

I'm sure someone else can help!

Take care,
Jim

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

fracas
• •
p.39 #11 · p.39 #11 · NEX Discussion Thread

thanks ... how is the 10-18/4 in your opinion? what is the longer shutter speed you can shot on NEX-6 with a reasonable keeping rate?

cheers, francesco

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:36 PM
MackDaddy1962
• • •
p.39 #12 · p.39 #12 · NEX Discussion Thread

Can't answer that yet either Francesco, I've really yet to "get out there" and use this new system!

Soon, very soon...

But from every review I've seen to date, it's a winner. Certainly nice build quality and sized right for the NEX. Expensive, yes. But hopefully worth it.

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:38 PM
fracas
• •
p.39 #13 · p.39 #13 · NEX Discussion Thread

thanks again!

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:55 PM
uscmatt99
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.39 #14 · p.39 #14 · NEX Discussion Thread

fracas wrote:
Thanks, from the post quoted I thought there were other settings...

I have two more questions on the NEX-6:
1) in manual mode with an adapted MF lenes, how does the control dial work? can I set it for setting the shutter speed?
2) with NEX-7 I know that RF lenses start working without corner issues from 28-35 mm ...and with NEX-6? I am obviuolsly interested in understanding the behaviour of CV/ Zeiss/ leica UWA...

thanks, francesco

The NEX-6 is an oddball when it comes to manual mode. The top control dial only does aperture, the rear dial does shutter speed, and you can't use auto-ISO. I use my RF lenses in A-mode at ISO 100 in good light, and in S-mode in poor light. In S-mode, you use the aperture ring on the lens, the top dial to control shutter speed, and auto-ISO is allowable. So essentially it functions like M-mode should, but only for manual focus non-chipped lenses.

I have the CV15/4.5, ZM25/2.8, ZM35/2.8, CV35/1.2. The 15/4.5 has magenta corners and edges that are noticeable and need some correction. Magenta corners on the 25/2.8 are faint, you really only see it in some situations when looking for it. The 35mm lenses have no discernable magenta. The corners are a bit soft on the CV15, ZM25 and ZM35 until f/8 to f/11, which must relate to the sensor as they were quite sharp even at f/5.6 on my Ricoh GXR. The CV35 has very even sharpness across the frame pretty much from f/2.8. It's design is more friendly to digital sensors I suspect. These are my findings at infinity at least.

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:58 PM
MackDaddy1962
• • •
p.39 #15 · p.39 #15 · NEX Discussion Thread

Not a problem at all my friend! I'm REALLY looking forward to boat-loads of use with the new NEX-6 kit. It's a great system.

Mar 01, 2013 at 03:03 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.39 #16 · p.39 #16 · NEX Discussion Thread

MackDaddy1962 wrote:
If it's like the NEX-6, you can only adjust screen brightness. At least that's all I've found on mine...

you change the evf settings on the NEX-7 by changing the jpeg settings since the evf is trying to give you a preview of what jpegs will look like. i set mine to portrait mode with contrast turned all the way down and it has improved the evf tremendously. the NEX-6 seems to be better without any adjustment from what i've heard and the same adjustment method should work. obviously this trick only works if you shoot raw since if you shoot jpeg you will want to adjust settings for your preferred jpeg output.

Mar 01, 2013 at 04:42 PM
MackDaddy1962
• • •
p.39 #17 · p.39 #17 · NEX Discussion Thread

Good tip, I'll look into that.

Thanks!

Mar 01, 2013 at 05:04 PM
fracas
• •
p.39 #18 · p.39 #18 · NEX Discussion Thread

very good tip, sebboh! thanks
uscmatt69 ... I see that s-mode works in a way similar to M-mode ... but how do you manage esposure compensations (i.e. for ETTR)? can the rear wheel be used for exposure compensation. thanks, francesco

Mar 01, 2013 at 05:49 PM
fracas
• •
p.39 #19 · p.39 #19 · NEX Discussion Thread

very good tip, sebboh! thanks
uscmatt69 ... I see that s-mode works in a way similar to M-mode ... but how do you manage esposure compensations (i.e. for ETTR)? can the rear wheel be used for exposure compensation. thanks, francesco

Mar 01, 2013 at 05:49 PM
802walker
• •
p.39 #20 · p.39 #20 · NEX Discussion Thread

I'm very close to purchasing my first NEX, the NEX-6. I shoot landscapes and will eventually be purchasing the10-18 (or a wide angle alt lens). However in the meantime, I can't decide if I should buy the kit lens or buy the body only and just get the sigma 30mm. Obviously the range of the kit lens is a plus, but I'm looking for IQ. I can live with a prime for a few months as I learn my way around the NEX. Any suggestions? Is the kit lens really that bad? Is the sigma really that good for only 150? At equal focal lengths...is the sigma lightyears beyond the kits lens in terms of IQ and Sharpness?

And hello, btw. As a potential new NEX user, I hope to utilize all of your expertise in this thread.

Mar 03, 2013 at 04:08 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password