Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              42       43       end
  

Archive 2012 · NEX Discussion Thread
  
 
Phillip Reeve
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · NEX Discussion Thread


mirkoc wrote:
Nice comparison Phillip. was that shot through the window. There seems to be a reflection in nex shots, or is it flare or corner color issues? The big tree by the church looks washed out in 1st, 2nd and 4th pic.
I wouldn't say 550d is a disaster. -2LV looks fine and one rarely pushes more than that. The nex IS much better of course. Samples taken in low light at ISO 800 or 1600 underexposed 2 EV and pushed up would be nice.

Its a picture of a print which wasn't a 100% level.
I use more than 2LV quite often, as shown in the example above. And i have some pictures on my disk i took with the 550d were i was unable to lift the shadows enough.
The DRO function is really handy to predict how much you can lift the shadows in post.



Mar 10, 2012 at 05:30 PM
Tom Conte
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · NEX Discussion Thread


Good thread! I just got a(n) NEX-7 after having a 5N for half a year. The 5N convinced me to leave DSLRs behind. I didn't see that coming when I bought it. It was going to be a replacement for my Canon S90 as a travel camera. Instead, its images rivaled what was coming out of my Nikon gear.

The NEX-7 was reported on Luminous Landscape in such glowing terms, I expected it to be hewn out of a solid block of unobtanium. Instead, it feels just a touch more substantial than the 5N. Also the lack of touch screen threw me for a loop. I spent the first 10 minutes messing the display up with fingerprints until I got out of the habit. I miss the touch screen. Not sure why Sony dropped it, except that's "Sony being Sony."

My biggest question: Do you say "En Ehh Ecks" or "Necks'? I've been spelling it out, but saw the dpreview video review of the NEX-7 and the dude said it like "next" w/o the "t". This worries me more than it should

Tom



Mar 10, 2012 at 05:46 PM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · NEX Discussion Thread


I say nex. I have no idea if that is correct


Mar 10, 2012 at 05:50 PM
AhamB
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · NEX Discussion Thread


I think "next without the t" is easier, except maybe if you're mentioning the name to people who are not familiar with it -- in that case spelling out "N-E-X" removes any possible ambiguity.

These pesky little cameras are getting under my skin more and more. I'll probably end up getting a 5N some time and perhaps even letting go of my 5D in the long run (depending on how they really compare for my shooting purposes).

Edited on Mar 10, 2012 at 09:09 PM · View previous versions



Mar 10, 2012 at 06:50 PM
wfrank
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #5 · NEX Discussion Thread


mirkoc wrote:
Nice comparison Phillip. was that shot through the window. There seems to be a reflection in nex shots, or is it flare or corner color issues? The big tree by the church looks washed out in 1st, 2nd and 4th pic.
I wouldn't say 550d is a disaster. -2LV looks fine and one rarely pushes more than that. The nex IS much better of course. Samples taken in low light at ISO 800 or 1600 underexposed 2 EV and pushed up would be nice.


Of course it's not a disaster. I had a 12MP 450D for several years before the moving to 5D2 via 7D and rarely stumbled across the barrier. The 12MP felt more limiting than anything else really in those ancient times.

I dont think you will find any read noise (banding) in ISO800 and beyond, it will hide in the amplification (= accepted) noise. So it's a low ISO phenomenon.

It's quite easy to provoke read noise in the 5D2 as well, all you need is a seriously bad exposure - or a challenging DR situation. In those instances the 5N is a better platform even than the mighty 5D2 - but it requires a finely tuned exposure to be able harvest that. A challenging DR situation will go beyond any sensors abilities by several steps. So it's far from a given fact realworld.



Mar 10, 2012 at 06:52 PM
Phillip Reeve
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #6 · NEX Discussion Thread


another test:






well both cameras are pretty close this time.


I think it really depends, but if you are doing landscapes more/less headroom in the shadows is a real advantage/disadvantage.

A real world example:






the shadows were liftet by 100 in LR 4 an i certainly can't print that image, had i used a Nex-5n the shadows would be clean.
100% crop:







Mar 10, 2012 at 08:09 PM
wfrank
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #7 · NEX Discussion Thread


In the original exposure the foremost woods must have been blacked-out. The exposure looks like set on the sky. Particularly given evening (or perhaps morning-) light, ISO 100, F/5.6 and 1/250sec. These are like daylight figures to me. All cameras are better at tuning down an close-to out-blown sky rather than lifting a blacked-out shadow, hence the ETTR rule. You can do much better even with that camera. It's no good to equalize luminosity levels in the distance sectors starting with a heavy shadow-side underexposure.

But admittedly, the NEX 5N would be at least a step more forgiving for bad exposures real world.



Mar 10, 2012 at 08:44 PM
freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · NEX Discussion Thread


philber wrote:
I have both a 5N and a 7. Main lenses: Zeiss ZM 18, ZM 35 f:2.0, Leica R 35-70 f:3.4, R 60mm Makro, Contax G 28, 45, 90
Yes, NEX 7 feels significantly more substantial. I heel that it handhold much better, and the integrated viewfinder is a blessing for hooting portrait orientation.
Even the kit lens looks better on the NEX 7. Only those lenses that present corner/magenta issues with the 7 look worse in my experience. Of course, looking at 100% crops from the 7 Vs 100% crops from the 5N is a biased comparison because the 7's higher pixel
...Show more

Thank you. I was hoping for a comparison like this. I'd really like to have the body of the 7, but am still hesitant about the change in sensors. But this is comforting.



Mar 11, 2012 at 05:43 AM
freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #9 · NEX Discussion Thread


Tom Conte wrote:
Good thread! I just got a(n) NEX-7 after having a 5N for half a year. The 5N convinced me to leave DSLRs behind. I didn't see that coming when I bought it. It was going to be a replacement for my Canon S90 as a travel camera. Instead, its images rivaled what was coming out of my Nikon gear.

The NEX-7 was reported on Luminous Landscape in such glowing terms, I expected it to be hewn out of a solid block of unobtanium. Instead, it feels just a touch more substantial than the 5N. Also the lack of touch screen
...Show more

Thanks, Tom. Losing the touch screen won't be a big deal for me. Losing the angle finder that is the 5N's EVF is going to hurt a little. Hmm. This is going to require side-by-side testing.

And working in telecom, we spell out most our acronyms (since most of them would be tongue-twisting words) so it's always been En Eee Ecks to me.



Mar 11, 2012 at 05:53 AM
LightShow
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #10 · NEX Discussion Thread


freaklikeme wrote:
And working in telecom, we spell out most our acronyms (since most of them would be tongue-twisting words) so it's always been En Eee Ecks to me.

So what does N-E-X stand for then?

NEX 7, Mostly Canon FD SSC glass so far, plus a few others.

Tips:
Don't change lenses unless you really need to.
keep your shutter speed up, as you don't have the extra mass that a DSLR has.

I'm using the Lowepro Streamline 100 to carry my 7, two SLR lenses + a pancake, so far so good.

What method do you use to create your Cornerfix lens profile?



Mar 11, 2012 at 06:44 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · NEX Discussion Thread


LightShow wrote:
So what does N-E-X stand for then?


New E-mount Ten.

If they'd been production ready in the last iteration, you'd call it "neeks." Five iterations before that, "naive."

Seriously, though, if it's all caps, it's either an acronym or someone is yelling at you. I prefer to think my camera is not yelling at me.



Mar 11, 2012 at 07:00 AM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #12 · NEX Discussion Thread


freaklikeme wrote:
New E-mount Ten.

If they'd been production ready in the last iteration, you'd call it "neeks." Five iterations before that, "naive."

Seriously, though, if it's all caps, it's either an acronym or someone is yelling at you. I prefer to think my camera is not yelling at me.


i pronounce it which ever way requires the least vocal effort. in this case it is clearly next without the t.



Mar 11, 2012 at 07:06 AM
freaklikeme
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #13 · NEX Discussion Thread


sebboh wrote:
i pronounce it which ever way requires the least vocal effort. in this case it is clearly next without the t.


In linguistics, I believe that's called the rule of grunting.

So are Oly Mount lenses ohms? Is Contax Yashica just sigh? I'm not judging, I'm curious to see how far this goes.



Mar 11, 2012 at 07:16 AM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #14 · NEX Discussion Thread


freaklikeme wrote:
In linguistics, I believe that's called the rule of grunting.

So are Oly Mount lenses ohms? Is Contax Yashica just sigh? I'm not judging, I'm curious to see how far this goes.


i was just talking about ambiguous cases. there's no point in saving vocal effort if nobody understands what you're saying and you need to repeat yourself.

honestly though, i don't really talk about camera equipment to real people so i'm not sure if OM has ever come up. for c/y i just said contax the one time i needed to utter the word. NEX comes up a few times a year though, as bystanders ask me what type of camera i'm shooting (usually i just grunt but some times i actually respond with a nex).



Mar 11, 2012 at 07:33 AM
philber
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #15 · NEX Discussion Thread


LightShow wrote:
keep your shutter speed up, as you don't have the extra mass that a DSLR has.




Interesting that you should write that, because both with my NEX 5 and with my 5N, with the camera restign on my left hand at waist level with the LDC turned up, I can get downn to ridiculous shutter speeds before losing sharpness. Now, if you handhold at eye level, which I never do, it could be another story. Just sayin'.. Oh, and one example to show it. Lens is Contax G 90, and the shot is a smallish crop.




  NEX-5N    ---- lens    1/30s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  




Mar 11, 2012 at 08:28 AM
wfrank
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #16 · NEX Discussion Thread


Skillshot Philippe!


Mar 11, 2012 at 08:59 AM
DamonJoyce
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #17 · NEX Discussion Thread


mco_970 wrote:
Question - does anyone have the J-Tec L bracket? I hope it is decent, because I just ordered one. I was using the RRS mini plate, which is OK, but I'd rather have an L.


This won't help, but I have the RRS L-bracket. It's nice in that you can unscrew the L part and have a normal base plate, and the base fits like a glove; no twisting. The RRS is bigger though, and I've been thinking of buying a JTec from Adorama so I can compare the two side by side, and return the JTec if needed. Also, the RRS and JTec have different orientations on the area dovetail. RRS has the clamp knob in front of you (which I prefer), the JTec has it under the side of the grip.



Mar 11, 2012 at 02:57 PM
douglasf13
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #18 · NEX Discussion Thread


philber wrote:
Interesting that you should write that, because both with my NEX 5 and with my 5N, with the camera restign on my left hand at waist level with the LDC turned up, I can get downn to ridiculous shutter speeds before losing sharpness. Now, if you handhold at eye level, which I never do, it could be another story. Just sayin'.. Oh, and one example to show it. Lens is Contax G 90, and the shot is a smallish crop.


Agreed. That's also another reason I like the tilt EVF, because I can lock my arms at my side, and it's very stable.

That leads me to another concern about the Nex-7. With Contax G lenses, I like to shoot with my left hand palm down (rather than the usual palm up,) with my middle finger and thumb on the focus ring, because it is easier to grab the focus ring that is so close to the camera body (and my left index finger is there to easily reach the EVF on/off button.) The 5N's tilt EVF gets my face up and out of the way, but, with the Nex-7, I'm afraid my left hand will be pushing right up against my nose/face when my eye is at the EVF.



Mar 11, 2012 at 03:27 PM
mco_970
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · NEX Discussion Thread


DamonJoyce wrote:
This won't help, but I have the RRS L-bracket. It's nice in that you can unscrew the L part and have a normal base plate, and the base fits like a glove; no twisting. The RRS is bigger though, and I've been thinking of buying a JTec from Adorama so I can compare the two side by side, and return the JTec if needed. Also, the RRS and JTec have different orientations on the area dovetail. RRS has the clamp knob in front of you (which I prefer), the JTec has it under the side of the grip.


Please do post if you end up trying them side by side. I'd be interested in a comparison. I can do a small review of the J-Tec when it's here. Typically I use RRS L's on my cameras, the different dovetail makes me think on the RRS Mini, too. There's always a 'WTH' moment.



Mar 11, 2012 at 03:56 PM
shelt
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #20 · NEX Discussion Thread


NEX-7 with:

15mm f/4.5 CV - very good if cornerfixed and focused on edges at f/8 (=~2m on properly thick adapter). See separate CV15 thread.
24mm Sony Zeiss f/1.8 - outstanding sharpness and contrast across the frame from wide open. Use LR4 CA tool for nice CA removal.
35mm f/2 Contax G - Excellent at f/5.6-8. Slightly soft corners. Great contrast. No purple corners unlike ZM 35. See NEX-7 lens test thread.
50mm ZM f/2 - razor sharp and contrasty at all stops. No purple issues.
90 f/2 Contax G - Classic. Sharp, contrasty, and still cheap! No purple issues.

I've used various SLR lenses which all worked fine. The PenF 25mm f/4 is tiny and works well except for slightly soft corners; cornerfix required (see NEX-7 lens test thread).



Mar 11, 2012 at 03:59 PM
1      
2
       3              42       43       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1      
2
       3              42       43       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password