Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Upgrading from D7000 to D800

falconbach
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Upgrading from D7000 to D800

Hi guys, as the D300 seems to be in short supply here in Iceland at least I'm starting to think about buying the new D800 and sell my D7000. The problem is that my D7000 is in its 2nd warranty repair so I don't know if I can fetch lot of $ for it. What would you think about that? Any advice regarding that issue? I will of course test the D7000 extensively after I get it back and if I'm not satisfied I will try to replace it for new copy which I should be able to sell for full price.

I'm thinking about starting doing pet photography gigs (on location and outdoors) and I'm not sure if the fps is enough on the D800 or if I should think more about how the D800 should be able to give me awesome details for example in the fur of the pets. I should add that most of my work so far has been landscapes. What do you think?

Mar 08, 2012 at 01:15 PM
brewercm
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Upgrading from D7000 to D800

I'm using a D7000 myself and looking to buy the D800 when it comes out and use my D7k as a backup. I don't do any pet work so have no thoughts on that although I'd only imagine that the detail would be better.

What I will say is that even though you know that the camera you get back would be brand new you still won't get full price for it. Maybe somewhat close but I doubt full price. Now if there is a big shortages of D7k's their also, then that could make a little difference on what it will fetch for you.

Mar 08, 2012 at 02:20 PM
ecidi
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Upgrading from D7000 to D800

NIkon just released a pdf on Technical Guide on how to use the D800/D800e camera.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_z04IreazIXl_22UII/PDF/D800_TechnicalGuide_En.pdf

Mar 08, 2012 at 02:21 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Upgrading from D7000 to D800

D7000 is a nice camera and it should serve it very well for pet work. Eventually feed it with some high speed cards to help with the buffer.

Definitely D800 is not a camera intended for action. I think you better use what you have for now and wait for D400.

Mar 08, 2012 at 02:45 PM
falconbach
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Upgrading from D7000 to D800

I thought maybe that the accurate D4 focusing system (D800 use the same system) would maybe weigh up the lack of fps. For my landscape photography I can use all those megapixels though.

Mar 08, 2012 at 03:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

crewshin
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Upgrading from D7000 to D800

I truly don't get the fps desire. I shoot sports (among other things) and have never really wished for more fps when I was shooting. Mainly because I can time a shot. I know... it's hard to comprehend. I hear these guys at the races firing off shots like a mini-gun and laugh. "Just point and spray!"

Personally, I could easily get away with the D800's fps in motocross, bmx and skateboarding.

Mar 08, 2012 at 04:49 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Upgrading from D7000 to D800

falconbach wrote:
I thought maybe that the accurate D4 focusing system (D800 use the same system) would maybe weigh up the lack of fps. For my landscape photography I can use all those megapixels though.

Yeah, the AF system is promising... but this huge number of pixels require tripod for best work... or at least very steady hands and fast shooter speeds. I suppose that when shooting pets you need to move camera quite fast... so despite the good AF pictures will probably not look very sharp. That's why the flagship camera for sport, PJ and wildlife (D4) uses only 18MP.

For landscapes D800 works very nice.

Mar 08, 2012 at 05:03 PM
J Newkirk
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Upgrading from D7000 to D800

crewshin wrote:
I truly don't get the fps desire. I shoot sports (among other things) and have never really wished for more fps when I was shooting. Mainly because I can time a shot. I know... it's hard to comprehend. I hear these guys at the races firing off shots like a mini-gun and laugh. "Just point and spray!"

Personally, I could easily get away with the D800's fps in motocross, bmx and skateboarding.

well I found that when shooting birds in flight, critters and then some sports action you can never plan for the unexpected moment. a simple twitch of the eye, a feather edge repositioned, a tongue sticking out...these special shots are easier to capture if you can manage 12 shoots within one second rather than 4 or 5.

but then again, this isn't photography...it is luck.

wj

Mar 08, 2012 at 07:16 PM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Upgrading from D7000 to D800

crewshin wrote:

Personally, I could easily get away with the D800's fps in motocross, bmx and skateboarding. quote]

I have been doing Event photography for 12 years including MotoCross and have never needed more than 4fps.
It actually took a while to get above 3fps because I do
...Show more

Mar 08, 2012 at 08:19 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password