Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Kit to bring to New York City

UsseryG
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Kit to bring to New York City

Yeah, I know some of you hate these threads, for those of you, stop reading... NOW.. you, you there, git! Don't you have some pictures to critisize at 100% crop!?

Okay, now, for the rest of you.

I am heading off to the big apple in april. I have been there twice before, but only as a pure tourist, as I was not into photography then (I missed some great captures now that I look back). I am curious as to what kind of kit I should bring.

I am for sure bringing my D7000, 50mm 1.8G and maybe my SB-700

I have little cash, and was thinking about this to round out my NYC Trip Kit:
The Prime
Nikkor 35mm 1.8g DX
Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

That or:
The Fast Zoom
Tamron 17-50 2.8 (non VC)
Tokina 11-16 2.8

Or:
The Tourist
Nikkor 16-85mm
Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

These three options are relatively light, cover my most used focal lengths, and the Tokina is interior friendly. I am just completely hung because I have only been using my 50mm on my bodies lately, and I think the 35mm would be great for NYC. But I also think that the convenience of a zoom would help make the trip a little... easier. The Nikon 16-85 gets just great reviews, and it with the Tokina and my 50G would cover my basis from outdoors, to indoors, to low light. But that 2.8 on the Tammy is just so alluring.

So, what should I bring with? Do you have any other lens suggestions?

Thanks for the help,
Gary

Mar 08, 2012 at 08:46 AM
firewireguy
• • •
p.1 #2 · Kit to bring to New York City

Personally I always find the convenience of a zoom when being a tourist trumps most other things. I'd take the 16-85 and 11-16 lenses and maybe a flash, although I'm sure the D7k's on-board flash will do a reasonable job for a lot of things. That way you're not carrying much stuff so you wont be knackered after a day of walking and you have a lot of flexibility. As nice as primes are, as someone in a city not wanting to carry a load of stuff I don't think they're worth it.

If I were to go back to NY the two lenses I'd take would be my 18-70 and 10-20.

Mar 08, 2012 at 09:26 AM
RVorinsky
• •
p.1 #3 · Kit to bring to New York City

I don't see a point in having both 35/1.8 and 50/1.8, but that's just me. Personally, I would choose the 35 every time, especially on a DX body.

I am not a fan of slow zooms, even less the expensive ones. I did have the Tamron and that lens rocks. For me, the extra reach 50-85 at the speeds the Nikon zoom offers is not worth nearly enough to balance out the constant f/2.8. Again, that's just me. For full disclosure, together with 35/1.8 and the Tamron I also had the Nikon 85/1.8D, and you have nothing longer than 50...

Finally, to say what I would do if I were you: Your Tourist option seems to cost a bit more than the first two. 16-85 costs about the same as Tamron+35/1.8, no? So I'd take the money available for Tourist option and get both 35/1.8G and Tamron 17-50/2.8. Later I would see if I want to keep both 35 and 50 (then I'd ditch the 50 ).

Good luck and have fun in NYC!

Mar 08, 2012 at 10:35 AM
allstarimaging
• • •
p.1 #4 · Kit to bring to New York City

I went to NYC a few weeks ago with the family and decided not to bring any of my gear. My sole camera was my IPHONE 4 (not s). I actually found it great not to have a big DSLR and a bunch of lenses with me and I liked having to find shots with using the one focal length that a IPHONE has (about 30mm).

Were the images something I would print big? Nope. But it did inspire me to go to a smaller setup and as a result I purchased a used Fuji X100 off of the buy/sell here on FM and have been really impressed with the IQ the camera produces. There is a picture everywhere you look in NYC but my suggestion would be to keep it simple and travel light. 35mm is a great focal range for shooting in a urban area.

Some lowly IPHONE shots below. Have a great trip.
Jack

Mar 08, 2012 at 10:52 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Kit to bring to New York City

the La Tourista kit will do the job quite well up too one limit on the slow end of the 16-85

Mar 08, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Celbrett
• •
p.1 #6 · Kit to bring to New York City

16-85 + 35 1.8 or rent a 24-70 2.8

Mar 08, 2012 at 01:08 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Kit to bring to New York City

GPS to help you avoid B&H and Adorama

I'd opt for The Tourist as well as the 35.

Mar 08, 2012 at 02:00 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Kit to bring to New York City

In DC, my walking around lens was my trusty 18-70 (including Metro shots). When shooting people on the street, so as not to be observed, I used the 70-300.

I would say definitely go with the 16-85. Then ask yourself if you shoot buildings or people and what is your style there? That will determine if you want super WA or tele.

Mar 08, 2012 at 02:02 PM
plubbry
• • •
p.1 #9 · Kit to bring to New York City

Gary,

I was in NYC for the first time this past December. My kit consisted of my D300, 16-85, 35 1.8, and 105 2.5 AIS. I took the touristy approach (primarily photographing architechture with a handful of people shots). All of my shooting was hand-held (or sitting on a ledge when at the top of the rock).

I used the 16-85 way more than the other two lenses. It covers a very convenient focal range with 16mm being generally wide enough. I don't own a wider lens but certainly would have considered taken somthing wider if I had one. The rather slow aperture is a minus however, the VR really helps. Since I was mostly shooting stationary subjects I was only worried about camera shake and not subject motion. With this in mind I found the 16-85 with VR more useful, even for night shots, than my 35 1.8 despite the faster aperture of the latter.

The 105 2.5 was used a fair bit during good daylight. It provided decent mid-tele reach and great subject isolation. It is also quite compact and easy to carry.

The 35 1.8 was used the least. It came in handy for a few 'people' shots and shots of many tasty plates of food .

What kit would work best for you depends a lot on what you're wanting to shoot. BTW, I would certainly consider hitting up the 'Top of the Rock' (Rockafeller Center) a bit before sundown. Sweet views.

Mar 08, 2012 at 05:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

UsseryG
• • •
p.1 #10 · Kit to bring to New York City

Wow, thank you everyone for the great advice!

It seems like a majority are saying to go for the 16-85. That is also the direction I was kind of leaning towards. It seems that most of you would pair it with the 35mm 1.8. Does that mean I should not grab the Tokina?

Only reason I saw really needing the Tokina was for those poorly lit interiors.

Mar 08, 2012 at 07:07 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Kit to bring to New York City

If those are the kinds of shots you do, then go for it.

The next lens on my shopping list (wife willing) is the Nikon 10-24mm....

Mar 08, 2012 at 10:12 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Kit to bring to New York City

Mace, stun-gun, biker wallet, Kevlar vest and a pocketable P&S for snapshots. I'm from Brooklyn.

Mar 08, 2012 at 10:27 PM
NAVPHONE
• •
p.1 #13 · Kit to bring to New York City

The one and the stuff you will carry with you.

Mar 08, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Kit to bring to New York City

firewireguy wrote:
Personally I always find the convenience of a zoom when being a tourist trumps most other things. I'd take the 16-85 and 11-16 lenses and maybe a flash, although I'm sure the D7k's on-board flash will do a reasonable job for a lot of things. That way you're not carrying much stuff so you wont be knackered after a day of walking and you have a lot of flexibility..

I agree with the above. Go with as few "pieces" as possible. The D7000 does very well with high ISO, and the 16-85mm has VR. You may find you use the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 the most.

Kent in SD

Mar 09, 2012 at 03:04 AM
anomalyconcept

p.1 #15 · Kit to bring to New York City

I've got a similar setup as what you have- 35/1.8G, Tokina 11-16, Tamron 17-50. I found that I had the 17-50 on most of the time solely because it was the most rounded and can cover all the focal lengths apart from the wide end. I use the 17-50 like a point and shoot; it's wide enough to frame people sitting across a table and can reach out a bit.

I've never used the 16-85, but I think I'd still opt for the 17-50 due to the f/2.8 aperture. Although I've wanted to go wider, the 17mm is nice to have when I'm only carrying one lens.

What do you think you'll be shooting? How would the 35/1.8 and the 11-16 work out for you?

For what it's worth, I rarely use flash, whether it be the built-in or the SB-700. It's mainly because of the extra weight to carry around and the limited use; in low light I just shoot wide open and crank the ISO. I also tend to like preserving the ambiance/mood of whatever situation I'm in, effectively using a d7000 as a glorified (and technically superior) P&S.

Mar 09, 2012 at 08:34 PM
UsseryG
• • •
p.1 #16 · Kit to bring to New York City

It is hard to pick the 16-85 over the Tamron 17-50, when the Tamron offers constant 2.8 and can be found for around $200 cheaper. But it seems that many people recomend it, and it deos appear to be a great leans (the 16-85).

I will be mostly doing the tourist things, taking pictures of the attractions, the buildings, and maybe some of its people. I would like to do some interior shots, something that was completely out of the question with my little P&S I brought last time.

I will most likely leave the flash at home.

Mar 09, 2012 at 11:35 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Kit to bring to New York City

Fuji X-100 and don't look back, so long as you remember to have two spare batteries and a charger

Taken through the front window of the cab on the way to dinner

FinePix X100    23mm    f/5.6    1/350s    800 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:12 AM
edl415
• •
p.1 #18 · Kit to bring to New York City

I'm going to NYC next weekend. D700, 24-120/4 VR, and either 50/1.8 G or 85/1.4 AF-D. Plan on using the 24-120 90% of the time, will bring out the 50 or 85 for night street shooting. Bang bang!

Mar 10, 2012 at 01:48 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password