Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · New MacBook Pro or iMac?

BrianJarvis
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · New MacBook Pro or iMac?

Both of my macs are pushing the 4-5 year old mark and it's time to upgrade. My dilemma is this. Would you rather go with a new MacBook Pro (15') or a new iMac(27") for post processing? I currently have the 24" version and love the real estate for working with images, but I also love the convenience of the MacBook Pro since it's always with me. What would you do?

Mar 07, 2012 at 07:14 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · New MacBook Pro or iMac?

how about a MacBook Pro and a good external screen?

Mar 07, 2012 at 07:19 PM
BrianJarvis
• •
p.1 #3 · New MacBook Pro or iMac?

howardm4 wrote:
how about a MacBook Pro and a good external screen?

I've been toying with that idea too, it's just been so long since I've bought (or used) an external monitor, I have no idea of a good hi rez monitor for photography. I know it can run upwards of another $1000 on top of the Mac. As it is now all I use the iMac for is photography and a server (4 hard drives attached to it for over 4TB of storage and backup) for my Macbook Pro. U use Lightroom, Photoshop and Premiere so I need some horsepower and right now the old iMac doesn't have it. (or my MB Pro for that matter)

Mar 07, 2012 at 07:52 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
p.1 #4 · New MacBook Pro or iMac?

Previous thread on this question: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1026203/

Mar 07, 2012 at 08:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BobCollette
• • •
p.1 #5 · New MacBook Pro or iMac?

Brian, can you use the monitor portion of the iMac as an external monitor? The reason I ask is that awhile back, someone stated that you can access the iMac monitor as a separate monitor. If you can, that could be your external monitor for a new MBPro, assuming that the iMac monitor is decent quality (IPS panel).

If you can't use the iMac monitor as a stand-alone monitor, it highlights the problem with an all-in-one system. Once the "computer" portion becomes outdated, the entire system, including monitor becomes obsolete. With a discrete system, you can reuse the monitor. I've upgraded my computer twice while still using the same monitor.

Mar 07, 2012 at 08:36 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #6 · New MacBook Pro or iMac?

I believe only the later 27" generations of iMac can be used as a display, otherwise, it's a big paperweight or should go up on craigslist etc. yes, the problem w/ the all-in-1 iMac concept and I wish they would make a supersized Mac-mini

Mar 07, 2012 at 08:43 PM
BrianJarvis
• •
p.1 #7 · New MacBook Pro or iMac?

The older ones (19" and 24") cannot be used as a monitor only. Which SUCKS because I do like the display a lot. The new 27" can

Mar 07, 2012 at 10:45 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password