Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Picked up a D2x, need some advice.

joetucker
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Picked up a D2x, need some advice.

Looking for some advice on a body conundrum. There is another thread that bears some similarity to what I'm going to ask for thoughts on - but my situation is a bit different so I'm just going to lay it out.

I am an amateur. I shoot family photos (2 young boys, 1 more boy on the way) and the rest is almost exclusively tripod-based stuff: landscapes, architecture, macro. In that same vein, I'm starting to get more and more into HDR for certain types of shots.

I've been shooting with a D7000 for the better part of the year and like it quite a bit. The two things I don't like about it are: the 3 frame AEB restriction and the very slight wiggle that is inevitably present when using a battery grip. Both of these things annoy the tar out of me. I do like having the video function - admittedly, though - I hardly ever use.

I've recently bought a whole ton of gear from a local pro who moved from Nikon to Canon and got in a bit of a cash pinch - long story short I've wound up with a D2X body that has essentially cost me nothing. It was his backup - has roughly 25k clicks and is in good cosmetic shape. I've never owned a pro body before and I've gotta tell you, I love the feel of this thing. It just feels great in my hands. It also eliminates my AEB and battery grip annoyances. The auto-focus also seems to be more snappy than that of my D7k. Of course, the sacrifice is low noise performance. Although, I rarely need to shoot at High ISOs.

Anyway - to my question: I'm thinking that I will sell my D7000 and buy either a nice used d700 or a D3/D3x in the next few months once the D800 and D4 are in good supply and the used prices start to come down some (I know that this will require me to add some cash). The D800 isn't all that attractive to me because of the file sizes and the I'm not going to pay the price of a new D4.

In the meantime, I'll have the D2x to enjoy and then use as a fairly killer (by my standards) backup body/teleconverter.

Does this line of thought make any sense?

I'm also going to pose this question on Nikonians, so if any of you are members in both places, forgive the redundancy.

Edited on Mar 07, 2012 at 03:43 PM · View previous versions

Mar 07, 2012 at 03:36 PM
Remko

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Picked up a D2x, need some advice.

Not sure what your question is ..... care to elaborate?

You do not say anything about your lens collection .... do you have lenses for the FX sensor?

What is your reason to go from DX to FX; both has their pro's and con's you know.

cheers,
Remko

EDIT: included my thoughts

Edited on Mar 07, 2012 at 03:46 PM · View previous versions

Mar 07, 2012 at 03:41 PM
joetucker
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Picked up a D2x, need some advice.

I don't know what else to add. Just wondering if what I'm thinking makes sense or if I'm missing something.

Mar 07, 2012 at 03:44 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Picked up a D2x, need some advice.

Makes sense to me, especially if you go with a D3. Similar controls and sharing the same batts is huge.
That way you have crop in good light and FX in low covered. Let's say you're shooting with the 70-200 f2.8 VR...
D3 it's gonna give you 70-200mm thru ISO6400. With the D2X it's an effective 105-300 and you have ISO100
at your disposal. Turn on HSC and it becomes an effective 140-400 f2.8 That's huge, Joe. GL to ya!

Mar 07, 2012 at 03:55 PM
joetucker
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Picked up a D2x, need some advice.

@Remko - My lens line-up is currently DX oriented but I've been planning on making the switch at some point anyway, so I'm not really considering that as a part of my decision. My reason for the switch is mainly my desire to have a larger/brighter viewfinder and a desire on my part to move toward a more pro-oriented system - better build quality, etc. I have planned though, on keeping a DX body as a backup/teleconverter.

Edited on Mar 07, 2012 at 04:31 PM · View previous versions

Mar 07, 2012 at 04:30 PM
joetucker
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Picked up a D2x, need some advice.

@trenchmonkey - thanks for the feedback. Any downside that I'm missing?

Mar 07, 2012 at 04:31 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Picked up a D2x, need some advice.

Read about the CAM 2000 AF system.

Mar 07, 2012 at 04:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Picked up a D2x, need some advice.

I must apologize to Will... I feel it's a crime to not agree with Mr.Monkey... :-) but this time make no sense for me.

For a landscape / architecture / macro / HDR shooter D800 is the answer for years of prayers In fact with some little disadvantages in D800 you have a D3X, a D3 and a D7000 in a very affordable package. The file size is not a big deal at all... with the cost of the RAM and HDD of today. A year ago, with less money than I need for an average lens I throwed in my desktop 7GB of space and 12GB of RAM and my four years quad core processor has no problem to run heavy files.

With D800 you can use various crop values, you have native 100 ISO for full frame, you have all pixels you may need in next 5 years, you have the most performant AF system to date and the most performant image processor to date.

With D2X and D3 you pay the same money for 5-6 yrs old technology... I do not say that these are not good and capable cameras... but it simply does not seems a good investment for 2012 when you have the option of D800 at hand.

LATER EDIT: 7TB of HDD space not 7GB

Mar 07, 2012 at 04:48 PM
Remko

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Picked up a D2x, need some advice.

joetucker wrote:
@Remko - My lens line-up is currently DX oriented but I've been planning on making the switch at some point anyway, so I'm not really considering that as a part of my decision. My reason for the switch is mainly my desire to have a larger/brighter viewfinder and a desire on my part to move toward a more pro-oriented system - better build quality, etc. I have planned though, on keeping a DX body as a backup/teleconverter.

That does make sense. You will love the large and bright viewfinder from the D3 or D3x. Note that the viewfinder of the D700 covers only 95%, for me that was a showstopper, but your mileage my vary of course.

I went from a D2x to a D3 and was thrilled: more dynamic range, better at high ISO which for me as landscape shooter was a bonus: I could now shoot with a higher shutter speed and still at my chosen aperture when it was a bit windy. At base ISO the micro contrast of the D2x is a bit better though.

Think carefully whether you want a D3x. It is more diffraction limited and as the CoC is smaller, you have to either do focus stacking or use a tilt and shift lens for getting good enough DoF when doing landscapes. This is often overlooked.

Handholding a D3x is only possible with pretty high shutter speeds if you want a good image. If you do not want to use a tripod for portraiture, this might be something to consider.

And as already the D3/D700 are pretty demanding, the D3x needs top glass.

If you are not printing bigger than 17x24 inch, the D3 (and D700) will be excellent when using the proper technique (tripod, mirror up, cable release, good processing).

Good luck with making up your mind :-)

EDIT: as the pixel pitch of the D7000 is even smaller than that of a D3x, you might have experienced that a higher megapixel camera is more sensitive to handholding. And whether it is if any importance to you.

cheers,
Remko

Mar 07, 2012 at 09:30 PM
SCOTT SHIN
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Picked up a D2x, need some advice.

D2x and D700(with grip) will cover most of your needs to cover your family, landscape, indoors and outdoors.... Enjoy the D2x!

Mar 07, 2012 at 10:32 PM
snapsy
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Picked up a D2x, need some advice.

I think I know what you're saying. There's just something about holding a tank of a body in your hand like the D2x vs a decidedly more consumer oriented camera like the D7000. As for base ISO imaging in good light there's not much else on the planet that competes with the D2x.

Mar 07, 2012 at 11:46 PM
MackDaddy1962
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Picked up a D2x, need some advice.

Oh dear lord, keep them all!

I've been shooting my gripped D7000 for a year now, and just took delivery of a pristine one owner 17k click D2Hs (4M pixel lovely Pro body.) I could not be happier with the results. The Sigma EX 30/1.4 has been glued to it (pretty much) since I got it.

Sample shots @ ISO 1600 in really dim lighting:

Better lightning:

Granted, I'm not going to print these very big and get great results, but still. For the $$$ (song) I've got invested in it, I love it!

Then I went a procured a gripped D700 yesterday. Again, one owner babied with less than 5k clicks. I'm now covered for everything that life can throw at me! Well, most of it anyway... Lol!

Don't be in a rush to get rid of the D7000. It's a really, really nice machine if you can afford to keep it.

Just my .02
Jim

Mar 08, 2012 at 01:05 AM
galenapass
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Picked up a D2x, need some advice.

I agree with the monkey, and I have no idea what mishu is talking about. I think he is addressing his needs/wants and not yours.

IMO you have a solid plan.

Mar 08, 2012 at 02:16 AM
Avi B
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Picked up a D2x, need some advice.

MacDaddy, I have printed 24"x24" from a 2.5MP crop of a D2H shot at ISO 400 and it looked great. I let the printer have the JPEG converted from RAW.

So bottom line, don't be afraid to blow up big especially with people pics.

Mar 08, 2012 at 06:50 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password