Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · library location Lightroom 4..?

Dustin Gent
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · library location Lightroom 4..?

I know dumb question, but I have been using Aperture for the last few years and wanted to check out Lightroom 4 as a beta first, before buying. Having never used an Lightroom version before, I am confused as to where the images are stored once imported.

Some quick history. I JUST reformatted my iMac, so ALL of my images are in Aperture Vaults on an external HDD. So what I did was drag the location of where the master files were to my desktop and imported from there. What I found out was that Lightroom "references" my files from where I imported them from. LR doesn't move them into .Ircat - where as Aperture did this.

So would I simply just move the folder to User/pictures/lightroom, where all the LR info is? And to answer any questions, I won't have both Aperture and LR4 installed. I am trying to stream line my workflow as much as possible, and heard a lot of good things about LR4. My wife will buy it for me if I like this version

thanks in advance

Mar 07, 2012 at 02:08 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • •
p.1 #2 · library location Lightroom 4..?

NVM, I am going to install Aperture as well, and LR can reference from the masters in Apertures library. I cannot stand folders all over the place.

Mar 07, 2012 at 03:00 AM
LA_Sportsman
• •
p.1 #3 · library location Lightroom 4..?

Aperture uses referenced masters or a managed library. I went from LR2 to Aperture and will move back to Lightroom for version 4. I used referenced masters because I don't want the software in control of my valuable files. Even with referenced masters, I got the ease of cataloging with Aperture and loved that aspect. I'm switching because of the editing capabilities and no rumor of Aperture 4 on the horizon.

I think you'll find referenced in LR4 is fine and you can find your photos through the library. I guess you could just put all of your photos in one big folder but I use subfolders for year and then month. Aperture managed libraries broke down when you got too many photos and didn't adjust well if you moved files outside Aperture. My understanding is LR adjusts much better but I haven't used it in a couple years.

Mar 07, 2012 at 03:40 AM
LA_Sportsman
• •
p.1 #4 · library location Lightroom 4..?

Oh, folders don't have to be all over the place. Under images make subfolders for years and you'll only create 10 folders per decade.

Mar 07, 2012 at 03:41 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · library location Lightroom 4..?

Dustin Gent wrote:
NVM, I am going to install Aperture as well, and LR can reference from the masters in Apertures library. I cannot stand folders all over the place.

You won't have folders everywhere. You can control what're the images go on import. If you really wanted you cn stick all your images in one folder (not recommended)
I have mine in year/month folders. From there I have collections that group relevant images together. (ie birds - flowers - family)

Also there is a difference between the actual images and the Lightroom cat .
The Lightroom cat is a file that contains all the info about the images in that catalogue. The images are held separate to this.

You do however need to do any folder work from within LR . Should you want to move an image/images from one folder to another you do it in Lightroom . If you did it out of Lightroom (ie in explorer on a pc) then Lightroom will not know where the image has gone. It will still have the image in the library (and you can still see the preview) but when you try to edit it will not open. You will have to point LR at the new location.
Once you get used to moving stuff around in LR it's not a problem

Mar 07, 2012 at 07:54 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password