Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Help needed on 2TB HD?

santila

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Help needed on 2TB HD?

I ended up with 2x2TB WD BLK Caviar drives that my NAS will or will not accept. If I
would replace my desktop drive in RAID1 config what would be the step by workflow to
clown the existing drive with the OS and all Drivers to the new drive? Perhaps if I would
use Acronis True Image Home 2012 could I just do it?
Sys: Win XP Pro SP3, Intel Core 2. 6600 @2400GHz, 2GB RAM
Thanks for replies.

Mar 06, 2012 at 05:32 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Help needed on 2TB HD?

normally, all the RAID-ness is handled transparently by the enclosure and the OS is none the wiser.

You could use Ghost or whatever the PC image copy utility is.

Mar 06, 2012 at 09:07 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Help needed on 2TB HD?

Whatever else you do, don't clone the new blank drive onto the old one which has all of your stuff on it I did that once, I think because the drive letters changed as I reconfigured the drives installed in the PC and because not all drive letter allocations are (or were) fixed.

In the old days I used Partition Magic a lot to clone drives and partitions but Symantec bought it and killed it. That wouldn't bother me so much if the Symantec Norton Ghost didn't fail when I needed it most. Grrrr. I imagine that the Acronis software will achieve what you want to but I've never tried it.

Some external RAID systems will not nicely handle new drives of different capacity, whereas others will. Therefore the workflow is likely to require that you specify exactly what gear you are using.

- Alan

Mar 13, 2012 at 06:12 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password