Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Current wheels- Scion xB-

At home in western Oregon.

Mar 05, 2012 at 02:32 PM
Chad S
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Current wheels- Scion xB-

Is this for critique, or did you just want to show us your car?

Mar 05, 2012 at 02:36 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Current wheels- Scion xB-

Chad S wrote:
Is this for critique, or did you just want to show us your car?

As you wish, Chad. For the last several days I've been running a series of my travel rigs on location.
I'm closing the series with my current vehicle, which is not doing much at all (reflecting my recent travels).
Charlie

Mar 05, 2012 at 04:57 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Current wheels- Scion xB-

675HP...mid engined..7 speed sequential wheel mounted padel shifter...AWD sleeper.

He's not telling all here folks

Mar 05, 2012 at 08:03 PM
MotorCityJim
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Current wheels- Scion xB-

Hmmm...looks to me like Charlie's gone over to the 'dark side'

Jim K...who was expecting some kinda camper/rig that was travel worthy!

Mar 05, 2012 at 08:32 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Current wheels- Scion xB-

Sorry Jefferson and Jim.
I was never into super high horsepower or speed. And I no longer take long trips.
The list of favorites of my cars includes a Jaguar XK 120, two Triumph TR-3s, a Porsche 356, a Saab Sonett II, and a Mazda Miata. All very used when I bought them, but a ton of fun regardless.
Plus a variety of vehicles good for travel/camping, etc.
Now I have the xB, but it has 158 horses and a 5-speed stick, and nice aftermarket wheels and sunroof. 0-60 in about 7.5 seconds, 34 MPH in 5th going down the highway. And has been dead reliable since new in 2008. It serves me well.
But I still remember those other cars .
Charlie

Mar 05, 2012 at 11:58 PM
toddlambert
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Current wheels- Scion xB-

I have an original xb, and it's been my favorite beater car ever. I beat the crap out of it, having taken it into some serious areas of Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. I get 30mpg on the highway, it's peppy, super light weight, and the front passenger seat fold down almost completely flat, allowing me to easily sleep in the car when traveling.

It's a great photographer's car.

(However, I will say that I don't like the new ones as much. I don't like the body re-design, the fact that it's heavier and has a smaller engine.)

Mar 06, 2012 at 02:16 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Current wheels- Scion xB-

toddlambert wrote:
I have an original xb, and it's been my favorite beater car ever. I beat the crap out of it, having taken it into some serious areas of Utah, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. I get 30mpg on the highway, it's peppy, super light weight, and the front passenger seat fold down almost completely flat, allowing me to easily sleep in the car when traveling.

It's a great photographer's car.

(However, I will say that I don't like the new ones as much. I don't like the body re-design, the fact that it's heavier and has a smaller engine.)

Todd- Both are reliable cars that appeal to a fairly limited group of buyers.
I have a friend who owns a first generation xB and he also really likes it. That's what inspired me to investigate the second generation. I preferred the 2nd gen because of the additional safety and comfort features that were included for a small increase in price.
Plus the extra power of the 2nd gen. I'm not sure where you got your horsepower numbers from, Todd, but they are in error:
1st gen 108 horses.
2nd gen 158 horses.
They dropped the Camry's 4-banger into the 2nd generation xB and immediately turned it into a fast car- that still got good mpg.
Charlie

Mar 06, 2012 at 12:33 PM
toddlambert
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Current wheels- Scion xB-

Yeah, you're right about the engine. I guess it's just the added weight that makes them feel slower to me.

Either way, they're very good dependable, and cheap cars.

Mar 07, 2012 at 12:16 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.