Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Paul Buff Einstein vs white lighting x1600

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Paul Buff Einstein vs white lighting x1600

Just curious what the differences are other than the obvious size, UI and digital control options are?

In my case, I'm always shooting manually and manually adjusting power, etc.

Mar 05, 2012 at 06:50 PM
PeterBerressem
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Paul Buff Einstein vs white lighting x1600

The most advanced difference is in the much faster flash (=shorter flash duration), if that counts for your working style. Also, on choice, the constant colour temperature over the range from 640Ws down to 2.5Ws, if that's what your work requires.

Mar 05, 2012 at 08:42 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Paul Buff Einstein vs white lighting x1600

I just found out that the einstein has a problem with overheating so buff is no longer shipping them with the 250w modeling lights. THat's a dealbreaker for me.

Mar 05, 2012 at 08:45 PM
nosaya

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Paul Buff Einstein vs white lighting x1600

That is interesting, I had an Einstein mounted on a boom facing down the other day and the modeling light would periodically stop working. I guessed that it was overheating and some circuit was kicking in to keep it cool. I guess I was correct.

I have the the WLX1600 and the Einstein units.

For overall remote control and nuance, I prefer the Einstein. However the WLX has a bit more power and is rugged as heck. Pick your poison.

Mar 05, 2012 at 09:09 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Paul Buff Einstein vs white lighting x1600

Thanks.

Mar 05, 2012 at 09:11 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Paul Buff Einstein vs white lighting x1600

The Einstein has a 640Ws output, the WL1600 is 660Ws; essentially the same.

The Einstein uses an insulated gate bipolar transistor(IGBT) for power control, the WL uses voltage control; the Einstein's flash duration -- which is short to begin with -- will get shorter as the output is lowered; as short as 1/13,000 according to Paul Buff -- good for stopping action/movement. The WL starts at 1/600 and gets longer as the power is reduced.

The Einstein has a 9-stop range, the WL has an 8-stop range.

THe Einstein has a "Constant Color" mode that combines IGBT quenching with voltage control to keep color temperature within +/-50 Kelvins at all output levels, or you can switch to "Action Mode" which allows the color to shift but gives the shortest durations. (The calculated temperature and duration are displayed on the panel so you can see what's happening as you change the power level.)

You can read more about flash duration and color fluctuation at the Paul C. Buff site:

http://www.paulcbuff.com/sfe-flashduration.php

Mar 05, 2012 at 09:13 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Paul Buff Einstein vs white lighting x1600

jzucker wrote:
I just found out that the einstein has a problem with overheating so buff is no longer shipping them with the 250w modeling lights. THat's a dealbreaker for me.

Why is it a deal breaker? Do you absolutely need a 250W modeling lamp?

Mar 05, 2012 at 09:17 PM
PeterBerressem
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Paul Buff Einstein vs white lighting x1600

From what I gathered there are some customers who run the Einstein in smaller softboxes and constant model light at full power, experiencing thermal shut-offs. I'm sure that the Einstein stand the 250W bulb when not used as above. At least there are no probs with my units yet. Maybe that a conversation with a PCBuff tech will clear up things?

Mar 05, 2012 at 09:17 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Paul Buff Einstein vs white lighting x1600

BrianO wrote:
Why is it a deal breaker? Do you absolutely need a 250W modeling lamp?

ABSOLUTELY. In a beauty dish and even in a softbox, the 100-150w bulb barely works unless your studio is absolutely light proof. Particularly when my other 2 lights have 250w modeling lights. 250 is the requirement IMO.

Mar 05, 2012 at 09:18 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Paul Buff Einstein vs white lighting x1600

PeterBerressem wrote:
From what I gathered there are some customers who run the Einstein in smaller softboxes and constant model light at full power, experiencing thermal shut-offs. I'm sure that the Einstein stand the 250W bulb when not used as above. At least there are no probs with my units yet. Maybe that a conversation with a PCBuff tech will clear up things?

They no longer ship with 250w bulbs. I think that says it pretty much.

Edited on Mar 05, 2012 at 10:19 PM · View previous versions

Mar 05, 2012 at 09:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

c2thew
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Paul Buff Einstein vs white lighting x1600

the Achilles heel to the einstein in my view has been the modeling light. Who knew that such a small bulb can generate that much heat?

Mar 05, 2012 at 09:42 PM
c2thew
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Paul Buff Einstein vs white lighting x1600

the Achilles heel to the einstein in my view has been the modeling light. Who knew that such a small bulb can generate that much heat?

Mar 05, 2012 at 09:42 PM
Rick Ryan

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Paul Buff Einstein vs white lighting x1600

If I understand what I just read in the Buff Tech forum. The Einstein still ships with a 250 watt modelling lamp but they are now including a 150 watt as well for situations where the heat from the 250w is a problem.

http://www.paulcbuff-techforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2517#p12796

Mar 06, 2012 at 01:53 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Paul Buff Einstein vs white lighting x1600

This quote is pretty scary:

"I'm sure Tech Support will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they are thinking that heat could be one of the factors that causes the finger springs to weaken over time, ultimately losing their ability to hold a modifier. There have been a couple posts about this recently, and it's different than the issue of certain ill-fitting ring inserts that do not allow the mount fingers to return all the way to the locking position."

Mar 06, 2012 at 01:59 AM
nosaya

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Paul Buff Einstein vs white lighting x1600

Good thing they come with a two year warranty.

Mar 06, 2012 at 02:05 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Paul Buff Einstein vs white lighting x1600

Yikes, maybe I should spend the extra dough for the photogenic PL1250?

Mar 06, 2012 at 02:13 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Paul Buff Einstein vs white lighting x1600

jzucker wrote:
Yikes, maybe I should spend the extra dough for the photogenic PL1250?

If I recall correctly, your uncle used Photogenic lights most of the time when he wasn't using continuous lights. They're pretty well built; like the PCB gear, they're made in the USA; and they use proven (read "old fashioned") technology.

Edit: I did recall correctly; here's his testimonial from the Photgenic Web site:

“Photogenic strobes have been my portrait lights of choice for as long as I can remember. Photogenic had the perfect lighting equipment when I started, and now, fifty years later, I am still using Photogenic lights for my top-of-the-line portraits. Photogenic lights have fulfilled every portrait requirement I have ever had, and I have never outgrown them. If you want to invest in a lighting system you will never outgrow, this is the one for you. I say that and I believe that.”

—Monte Zucker

Mar 06, 2012 at 02:49 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Paul Buff Einstein vs white lighting x1600

Yes, that's correct Brian. In fact, the 2 photogenic lights I currently have were originally Monte's. They're pretty heavy though. I think they must be close to 10lbs.

Monte was using a power pack setup prior to the spyderlites. He had it set on 3:1 ratio with the hairlight and background light at the lower power setting and the other two heads used for accent and mainlight or mainlight and fill. Those were light enough to put up on a boom.

Mar 06, 2012 at 02:54 AM
asamimasa
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Paul Buff Einstein vs white lighting x1600

Einsteins for sure ship with both bulbs.
Got mine a few weeks ago with the 150W installed, the 250W bulb packaged separately, and a note warning the user to use the 150W most of the time

Mar 06, 2012 at 05:57 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Paul Buff Einstein vs white lighting x1600

That's really too bad because the 150w modeling bulb is not visible in a beauty dish or umbrella and is barely visible in a softbox.

Bottom line is that for studio use, WL x1600 would be a better choice but for on-site/battery usage the Einstein would be better...

Mar 06, 2012 at 06:09 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password