Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Beauty Dish (Bowens) working with a speedlight?

Mishu01
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Beauty Dish (Bowens) working with a speedlight?

A friend of mine asked me a question I could not answer... He has the chance to purchase as bargains some used light modifiers for studio strobes (Bowens) including two Beauty Dishes, one of about 50cm (20") the other of about 70cm (28"). He is intending to use them with his speedlights (SB 910) since he does not own any studio strobe. The question is if those Beauty Dishes works with speedlights or not? Thanks for any input.

Mar 04, 2012 at 08:22 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Beauty Dish (Bowens) working with a speedlight?

Mishu01 wrote:
A friend of mine asked me a question I could not answer... ...The question is if those Beauty Dishes works with speedlights or not? Thanks for any input.

They can work, if two things are done: first, a mounting bracket will have to be bought or made that will hold the Speedlight(s); and second, since Speedlights don't have barebulb capability a reflector will have to be bought or made to bounce the light from the Speedlight(s) out into the dish.

You need a special bracket, because Bowens BDs are designed to mount on a Bowens strobe's head, rather than a Speedlight mounting on the BD.

You need a special reflector, because BDs designed for use with barebulb strobes have flat deflectors, but the reflector for use with a Speedlight's beam needs to be convex as seen from the Speedlight's side.

The first and second photos below show two Speedlight brackets for beauty dishes (not Bowens, but the idea is the same). The first one is a Kacey Double Speedlight Bracket, and the second is the RPS Studio BeautiDish (note the spelling) bracket. The third photo shows the kind of curved reflector needed to spread a Speedlight's (or, in this case, my Speedlite's) beam.

Canon EOS 7D    50mm    f/4.0    1/250s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 7D    50mm    f/5.6    1/60s    125 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 05, 2012 at 04:53 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Beauty Dish (Bowens) working with a speedlight?

Thanks Brian, I see now! I know that he's supposing to buy a special mount adapter, so this is not a problem... The problem with the reflector is more sensitive since I do not think he can get it as a spare part so the only solution is a DIY solution.

From a different point of view the Kacey Double Speedlight Bracket seems to be quite interesting... since I was afraid that one speedlight is too weak for a beauty dish. I may get one for a softbox to use sometimes on field.

Mar 05, 2012 at 09:26 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Beauty Dish (Bowens) working with a speedlight?

Mishu01 wrote:
Thanks Brian, I see now! I know that he's supposing to buy a special mount adapter, so this is not a problem... The problem with the reflector is more sensitive since I do not think he can get it as a spare part so the only solution is a DIY solution.

That shouldn't be a problem. A shallow section cut from a large foam ball, a metal or plastic bowl, etc. can be glued or taped to the inside of the deflector that comes with the Bowens dish, and either painted with silver spray paint or covered with silver mylar or aluminum foil. A small convex mirror from an automotive shop might even fit.

A Speedlight won't ever be as efficient in a beauty dish as a barebulb strobe head, but adding the convex reflector can restore some of the lost intensity and directionality.

Mar 05, 2012 at 09:35 AM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Beauty Dish (Bowens) working with a speedlight?

The convex mirror seems to be a pretty nice solution but all your ideas work for sure. Thanks again!

Mar 05, 2012 at 03:57 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password