Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · K-5 low light performance

treebeard
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · K-5 low light performance

I posted over in the Nikon forum about getting a D7000 but wanted to hear from the K-5 (if there are any) users who may use the K-5 for low-light events. I currently use a K-r which I am giving to my wife but having two Pentax bodies would be nice. Any samples and comments on the K-5's performance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Mar 02, 2012 at 08:55 PM
bigkidneys
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · K-5 low light performance

I loved both of mine but didn't like having to adjust most lenses to the body. From my experience which is somewhat new to photography (2 years) I was able to really lift the shadows substantially in post without losing much detail and the DR was really nice. I came from a 5D2. What I didn't end up liking was the smaller body and my larger hands. I had to buy a grip to keep from losing many photos due to camera shake. I used zooms the first time and bought the trinity prime set the second round. Great smaller body with great IQ but decided to move to a Nex 7 system so sold everything once again. I am a gearhead so I wouldn't say I moved because of the camera but mostly trying to keep up with the Jones so to speak I can send some samples if you want to an email over the weekend. I typically shot raw mostly. Lots of features with the K5.

Mar 02, 2012 at 09:48 PM
roger.hayslip

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · K-5 low light performance

treebeard wrote:
I posted over in the Nikon forum about getting a D7000 but wanted to hear from the K-5 (if there are any) users who may use the K-5 for low-light events. I currently use a K-r which I am giving to my wife but having two Pentax bodies would be nice. Any samples and comments on the K-5's performance would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Meets my needs for low light indoor shooting. Great for my kids school plays, basketball etc. The detail you can get out the shadows is amazing. The body is small and I'm a big guy. I keep an L bracket or a grip on it. Here's a link to some shots at my church a couple months ago.

http://www.rogerhayslip.com/JUMC/JUMC-December-18th-2011/20664913_RDv35m

Mar 02, 2012 at 10:28 PM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · K-5 low light performance

bigkidneys wrote:
I loved both of mine but didn't like having to adjust most lenses to the body. From my experience which is somewhat new to photography (2 years) I was able to really lift the shadows substantially in post without losing much detail and the DR was really nice. I came from a 5D2. What I didn't end up liking was the smaller body and my larger hands. I had to buy a grip to keep from losing many photos due to camera shake. I used zooms the first time and bought the trinity prime set the second round. Great smaller
...Show more

Thanks for your input.

Mar 03, 2012 at 12:51 AM
treebeard
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · K-5 low light performance

roger.hayslip wrote:
Meets my needs for low light indoor shooting. Great for my kids school plays, basketball etc. The detail you can get out the shadows is amazing. The body is small and I'm a big guy. I keep an L bracket or a grip on it. Here's a link to some shots at my church a couple months ago.

http://www.rogerhayslip.com/JUMC/JUMC-December-18th-2011/20664913_RDv35m

Thanks for your opinion and the sample images...I have smaller hands so I am not worried about the size of the body.

Mar 03, 2012 at 12:53 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password