New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · The mythical 3D has arrived

Greg M
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The mythical 3D has arrived

Since the 1D there's been a lot of talk (complaining) about wanting a 3D. Seems to me that the 5D mkIII could have easily been renamed the 3D.

Canon went and combined the 1D models into 1 camera and placed it in the 1Ds price range leaving a huge price gap between it and the 5D.

With the 5D being closer to the 7D in price Canon added more pro features to the 5D and moved it closer to the gap that the 1D mkIV is vacating.

With Pro AF, Pro ISO performance, dual card slots and respectable FPS as well as other features it looks like this camera is the closest that Canon has come to providing the mythical 3D that a lot of people have wanted for the last 10 years.

But people still complain!

I paid $2300 for my D30 11 years ago. The 5D mkIII is only $1200 more so why are people complaining it's overpriced?

Mar 02, 2012 at 11:13 AM
dfresh
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The mythical 3D has arrived

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1090716

Mar 02, 2012 at 11:15 AM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The mythical 3D has arrived

I paid $2000 for a Pentium III processor 10 years ago.

Would you pay $2000 for that today?

Mar 02, 2012 at 11:16 AM
Greg M
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The mythical 3D has arrived

Dawei Ye wrote:

Extremely horrible comparison!

Mar 02, 2012 at 11:18 AM
Greg M
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The mythical 3D has arrived

dfresh wrote:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1090716

Sorry, didn't see that.

Mar 02, 2012 at 11:18 AM
campyone
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The mythical 3D has arrived

I think it's the relatively minimal differences between the 5DII and III that cause people to complain about the price increase. A better name for the 5DIIII, if the unimpressive (to me) "improvements" over the 5DII that I've seen are accurate, would have been 5DII.V. I really don't know what Canon is thinking with this camera which seems little more than a 5DII with better autofocus and two card slots at a $1,000 price increase. Canon seems to be running in place while others are racing ahead towards the finish line.

All of this of course is just my opinion, others certainly have different and equally valid (for them) opinions.

Mar 02, 2012 at 11:21 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The mythical 3D has arrived

Dawei Ye wrote:

Mar 02, 2012 at 11:22 AM
Kirivon

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The mythical 3D has arrived

Dawei Ye wrote:

No, because 10 years ago the Pentium IV was out. But, I wouldn't have paid for that either because the Athlon XP was the far superior processor.

But, aside from that, the only CPUs that cost more than a 1,000 have historically been flagship processors that represented marginal performance increases over chips a third of the price. They only cost that much because they were the best and people who HAD TO HAVE the best (even if it was 15% better) would pay it.

Mar 02, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Greg M
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The mythical 3D has arrived

campyone wrote:
I think it's the relatively minimal differences between the 5DII and III that cause people to complain about the price increase. A better name for the 5DIIII, if the unimpressive (to me) "improvements" over the 5DII that I've seen are accurate, would have been 5DII.V. I really don't know what Canon is thinking with this camera which seems little more than a 5DII with better autofocus and two card slots at a $1,000 price increase. Canon seems to be running in place while others are racing ahead towards the finish line.

All of this of course is just my opinion,
...Show more

All depends on what your needs are. If all you do is portrait and still photography then I'd agree with you.

For low light it's greatly improved. Better high ISO and AF that will help instead of hinder.

It's also greatly improved for use with action. More FPS and much improved AF.

Mar 02, 2012 at 11:33 AM
KaaX
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The mythical 3D has arrived

Greg M wrote:
For low light it's greatly improved.

How do you figure? AF, granted, but we can't tell anything about DR and noise until we get RAWs. The JPGs at Canon's website look rather unimpressive, to say the least. And though Canon claims two stops of noise improvement, that's for JPGs only and is mostly a function of noise reduction, not a better sensor.

Mar 02, 2012 at 11:35 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The mythical 3D has arrived

How in the hell was his comparison horrible?

A piece of tech years ago cost more than today. You are talking about your camera years ago...

Btw 6fps isn't respectable. It's damn laughable considering that the tech is there to push 7 or 8. Don't give me the 1 series argument either. Add a battery an a grip and you're back in the price point of a 1 series.

I don't mean to sound bitter, but it just seems blah to me. I am
Anxious to see the photos from it and the 1dx.

Mar 02, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Greg M
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The mythical 3D has arrived

KaaX wrote:
How do you figure? AF, granted, but we can't tell anything about DR and noise until we get RAWs. The JPGs at Canon's website look rather unimpressive, to say the least. And though Canon claims two stops of noise improvement, that's for JPGs only and is mostly a function of noise reduction, not a better sensor.

Initial samples from Canon are ALWAYS complained about. Canon claims that the ISO performance is second only to the 1DX which means that Canon is saying that it's better then the 1D mkIV. That's an improvement. Less noise and being able to focus will greatly improve low light pictures.

Canon states 2 stops better. If it turns out that it's only 1 stop better that's a big improvement for those that need that extra stop.

That's how I figure it.

Mar 02, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The mythical 3D has arrived

campyone wrote:

All of this of course is just my opinion,
...Show more

Really? The only thing that didn't get an upgrade was resolution, virtually all other complaints about the 5D MkII have been addressed. In comparison, the 5D MkII got a sensor upgrade from the 5D, and that was about it (aside from video, which I'll handily ignore, being a photographer). Until I read the specs in detail I was also a bit underwhelmed, especially for the price. However, it's now clear to me that this is indeed a full-frame 7D with (hopefully with) good image quality, lacking only 1 fps and perhaps a few MP for the 'upgrade' crowd. It's not 'my' 3D, but it's closer than anything in the past.

I don't disagree about Canon being a bit stuck in the mud, but at least it seems Canon is now listening. They could have just adapted the 7D's autofocus and called it good, but they stepped up to the plate to try and rectify they huge mistake they made in the 5D MkII's autofocus implementation, despite the fact that they still sold a bunch of them. The one thing that remains to be seen in my mind is high-ISO performance while shooting raw.

Time will tell with IQ, I just hope it handily exceeds that of the 5D MkII, then there really won't be anything to complain about.

Mar 02, 2012 at 11:45 AM
artsupreme
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The mythical 3D has arrived

Greg,

What are you excited about? The AF system? Do you realize this AF system should be been there all along and now they are trying to charge a $1000 premium for something they stripped us of in the 5DII? Haven't you seen what the competitors have done with their AF systems and pricing? This is a slightly improved 5DII, not a dramatically improved technological breakthrough that justifies another grand...

Mar 02, 2012 at 11:48 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The mythical 3D has arrived

I agree with you. It's frustrating, I dont expect a full blown 1d af. I really don't. 7d improved would've been tremendous to the buyers. It Is like this though, we can't look and go "this is what we should've got",

We have to look at what are we getting for the money? $3500 to use canon lenses on a body that...well, is impressive but not "that" impressive...couple with a $400 grip...what was maeda smoking?

Mar 02, 2012 at 12:09 PM
plasticmotif
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The mythical 3D has arrived

artsupreme wrote:
Greg,

What are you excited about? The AF system? Do you realize this AF system should be been there all along and now they are trying to charge a $1000 premium for something they stripped us of in the 5DII? Haven't you seen what the competitors have done with their AF systems and pricing? This is a slightly improved 5DII, not a dramatically improved technological breakthrough that justifies another grand...

We don't have to like the business mode....just accept it.

By all means, switch to Nikon and their AMAZING lens line-up. Or maybe Sony.

It's going to be the camera most people need. Regardless of price. It sucks that it's expensive and we had to wait for all the problems to be addressed.

People need to quit bitching. Canon makes good products. Complain all you like, the 5D2 has made a whole load of people happy. If you don't like the initial price, it will drop. No one is forcing anyone to upgrade.

Mar 02, 2012 at 01:21 PM
plasticmotif
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The mythical 3D has arrived

Also, it still beats out on the competition's predecessors.

D700 - low MP, mediocre video -all other attributes great.
Sony FF - You're paying for a low ISO, true color sensor. All other attributes(other than form and ergonomics) are terrible.

If the D700 had 20+ megapixels I could understand people arguing that this camera isn't a real upgrade.

The 5D2 was over 3,000 on release wasn't it?

Mar 02, 2012 at 01:24 PM
KaaX
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The mythical 3D has arrived

plasticmotif wrote:
It's going to be the camera most people need.

8-D

And how, pray tell, do you know what most people need?

Mar 02, 2012 at 01:30 PM
EOS20
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The mythical 3D has arrived

plasticmotif wrote:
Also, it still beats out on the competition's predecessors.

D700 - low MP, mediocre video -all other attributes great.
Sony FF - You're paying for a low ISO, true color sensor. All other attributes(other than form and ergonomics) are terrible.

If the D700 had 20+ megapixels I could understand people arguing that this camera isn't a real upgrade.

The 5D2 was over 3,000 on release wasn't it?

The 5D2 prices when it was first released were:

US: $2699
EU: €2499
UK: £2299

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos5dmarkii/2

Edited on Mar 02, 2012 at 01:33 PM · View previous versions

Mar 02, 2012 at 01:33 PM
Peter Le
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The mythical 3D has arrived

All these posts have become nothing but fanboys trying to protect their fearless leader for feeding them such trivial increase in tech at such a high price.........it is really amusing to watch ......

Mar 02, 2012 at 01:33 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.