Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Nex first curtain shutter

uhoh7
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Nex first curtain shutter

I just want to get a thread in in here so a search will pull it up on the issue....

I wondered when to turn it on or off.

Now I found a real good reason.

One lens I have is the very long doublet, leica R 400/6.8

I was getting some really strange darkening on one side of the frame on it was driving me crazy.

note dark top.

this was the only lens I saw this occur--I thought it was some stange issue, though the thing is bulletproof.

Today I was testing, saw this again, and turned the first curtain off.

Gone.

Totally gone. pefect even exposure. I was flabergasted.

These are single shots---so I don't know what it is, but it hates the first curtain.

as of this writing I think only the 5n and 7 have a first curtain (not sure about the video cameras).

Mar 01, 2012 at 11:41 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Nex first curtain shutter

Interesting, Charlie. Do you happen to know the shutter speed?

Mar 01, 2012 at 11:47 PM
telyt
• • •
p.1 #3 · Nex first curtain shutter

fascinating. In first curtain mode is the shutter curtain completely clear of the sensor? The Telyt's very long distance from exit pupil to sensor might be why it's only with this lens. The shutter curtain might not be completely clear of the sensor, but clear enough for lenses with a much shorter exit pupil distance.

Mar 01, 2012 at 11:54 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Nex first curtain shutter

To be clear, did this phenomena happen with the mechanical first curtain being used (double click shutter sound,) or the electronic first curtain (single click shutter sound?)

Mar 01, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

uhoh7
• • •
p.1 #5 · Nex first curtain shutter

douglasf13 wrote:
To be clear, did this phenomena happen with the mechanical first curtain being used (double click shutter sound,) or the electronic first curtain (single click shutter sound?)

It's dark on the top WITH electronic first curtain---the way we all like to shoot--so quiet.

When you turn that off and get the loud nex-5 like sound no issue.

Shutter is 3200--obviously handheld with a 400 I want as fast as I can get.

Crazy no?

Now I tried with other long lenses including 70400g---no issue---they are much shorter of course and have many many more elements than the leica.

telyt wrote:
fascinating. In first curtain mode is the shutter curtain completely clear of the sensor? The Telyt's very long distance from exit pupil to sensor might be why it's only with this lens. The shutter curtain might not be completely clear of the sensor, but clear enough for lenses with a much shorter exit pupil distance.

It has to be something like this, no?

Mar 02, 2012 at 01:18 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Nex first curtain shutter

The manual says the following, although I've only see the issue manifest itself with a light colored band through the center of the frame. Interesting:

"-When you shoot at high shutter speeds with a large diameter lens attached, the ghosting of a blurred area may occur, depending on the subject or shooting conditions. In such cases, set this item to [Off].

-When a Minolta/Konica Minolta lens is used, set this item to [Off]. If you set this item to [On], the correct exposure will not be set or the image brightness will be uneven."

Mar 02, 2012 at 02:42 AM
Jacob D
• • •
p.1 #7 · Nex first curtain shutter

Interesting stuff.

What is it about Minolta/Konica lenses that would require the 1st curtain to be turned off?

Mar 02, 2012 at 02:54 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Nex first curtain shutter

Does it focus Maxxum lenses with the aperture wide open, then close down for the shot?

Mar 02, 2012 at 02:57 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password