Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · black rapid straps?

Jared Bludsworth
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · black rapid straps?

i was thinking about getting one for sports photography. Seems to be a nice strap, any thoughts/experience on these?

Mar 01, 2012 at 07:50 PM
redcrown
• • •
p.1 #2 · black rapid straps?

I bought one a couple years ago. Used it for one day shooting an outdoor event. I was using a Canon 5D2 with a big 70-200mm lens, a pretty heavy rig. The basic function worked well, better than a normal strap. Much less neck fatigue with the camera hanging on your hip.

But at the end of the day I noticed that the big metal clip that attaches to the small ring in the tripod mount had "brassed" my camera body. Prominent and deep scratches all over the bottom edge of the camera body.

So I took it off with the intent of finding a way to re-engineer that clip, but I never got around to it. Need to put a "sock" on it. Haven't looked back to see if the manufacturer came up with a solution to that problem.

I ended up buying an extra long Tamrac strap with quick disconnects and like it much better. The extra length lets me easily stick my arm through and hang the camera on one side (hip) for when I'm just walking around. I can actually shoot from that position, but it's also easy and quick to return to normal. Plus, when I tripod mount the camera I can quick disconnect the strap so it's not in the way.

Mar 01, 2012 at 08:56 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · black rapid straps?

If you perform a search in the General Gear forum, you will see several threads about the Black Rapid strap and other camera straps.

Mar 02, 2012 at 05:43 PM
janmcn
• •
p.1 #4 · black rapid straps?

Love my BR Strap. It allows me to carry a heavy lens when otherwise I would not. HOWEVER…as some have suggested on other threads, be careful of the screw coming loose and set up a "fail safe" attachment (I used some OpTech clips). When we were in Antarctica, with the cold, the screw came loose and the fail-safe arrangement saved the day. Otherwise, I've never noticed it to come loose and I feel it's secure. LOVE it.

Mar 07, 2012 at 08:57 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password